PDA

View Full Version : Critique my soil recipe please

stinkbudd
10-04-2006, 07:22 PM
This is for the veg stage NOT seedling stage. When the plant is mature enough I would like to put her in this soil mix:
1 Gallon of top soil
1/2 gallon perlite
1/4 gallon peat moss
1/4 gallon worm castings
1/8 gallon steer manure
2 tablespoons blood meal
1 tablespoon bone meal
2 tablespoons greensand
2 tablespoons bat guano (10-3-1)
2 tablespoons gypsum
2 tablespoons kelp meal
2 tablespoons SulPoMag
1 tablespoon lime

Do I need to add or subtract anything? Could I use this same recipe for flowering or is ther too much nitrogen in it?

phytokind
10-04-2006, 07:59 PM
This is for the veg stage NOT seedling stage. When the plant is mature enough I would like to put her in this soil mix:
1 Gallon of top soil
1/2 gallon perlite
1/4 gallon peat moss
1/4 gallon worm castings
1/8 gallon steer manure
2 tablespoons blood meal
1 tablespoon bone meal
2 tablespoons greensand
2 tablespoons gypsum
2 tablespoons kelp meal
2 tablespoons SulPoMag
1 tablespoon lime

Do I need to add or subtract anything? Could I use this same recipe for flowering or is ther too much nitrogen in it?

Since you're already using so many great ingredients, I would steer clear of the steer manure, it may burn your plant and just doesn't seem to be needed. And you should see what your soil ph is before using the lime. Seabird quano is commonly used during flowering, at least early flowering, because it's high in nitrogen and well as phosphorus, but you can easily make a tea out of that to add later. The blood and bone meal may be overkill. As long as you use a lot (like 1/3) high quality wormcastings you probably don't need to be too concerned about your plant lacking nutrients. The kelp is a very good idea, definitely keep that. I would also go just a little lighter on the perlite.

stinkyattic
10-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I couldn't resist tweaking your 'recipe':

1 Gallon of top soil
1 gallon of chicken broth
1/2 gallon pearl onions
1/4 c. finely diced celery
1/4 gallon worm castings
1 lbs steer steaks
2 tablespoons blood pudding
1 ham bone
2 tablespoons green peas
2 tablespoons gypsum
2 tablespoons kelp meal
2 tablespoons cracked peppercorns
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 c. white wine

Simmer until done.

:D

Seriously looks good but the steer manure IS overkill. You could take out the blood and bone meal, and use composted cow manure instead, but use a lot of it, like omit the peat moss.

BlueBear
10-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Ha, Ha, Ha,. Throw a McFlery from the Golden Arches in there too, along with some chicken nuggets.
Adieu