PDA

View Full Version : Kerry[Pres.:"..he can even run in camo-but he cannot hide"]

Torog
10-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Kerry heads west in vote hunt [Pres.:"...he can even run in camo - but he cannot hide"] (http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1253139/posts)
The Australian ^ (http://freerepublic.com/^http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11151876%255E1702,00.html) | 22OCT04 | Stephen Collinson

DEMOCRAT John Kerry today takes his quest for votes to the western states of Nevada and Colorado that polls show could be up for grabs in the US presidential contest, as incumbent rival George W. Bush stumps in three eastern battleground states.

After addressing supporters in Milwaukee in the morning, Senator Kerry was to fly to Reno, Nevada, and Pueblo, Colorado, in hopes of energising minority voters, his core support base, ahead of the November 2 ballot.

Mr Bush will campaign for a second day in Pennsylvania before moving on to Canton, Ohio and Saint Petersburg, Florida.

Senator Kerry literally went hunting for the support of gun-lovers yesterday, then tapped the power of comic book and movie hero Superman to trade shots with the Republican president on health as the two scouted votes that could tilt a race still too close to call.

With every vote likely to count in the critical mid-western battleground of Ohio that Mr Bush won in 2000, the often staid Senator Kerry donned a camouflage jacket and picked up a shotgun to hunt geese in a carefully staged photo-op.

The Massachusetts senator emerged from a cornfield, shotgun breached and cradled in the crook of his elbow, flanked by companions holding four dead birds. Asked why he was not carrying one himself, he quipped, "Too lazy."

The event testified to the weight of the powerful National Rifle Association, which has endorsed Mr Bush and pledged to spend up to $US20 million ($27.2 million) to mobilise its four million members against the pro-gun control Kerry.

Mr Bush mocked Senator Kerry's hunting trip while stumping in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

"He can run - he can even run in camo - but he cannot hide," Mr Bush said, as the crowd laughed and cheered.

The line, without the reference to camouflage clothes, is one of Mr Bush's favourite slogans in attacking Kerry.

The Democrat later switched hunting gear for a business suit to attend a rally with Dana Reeve, widow of the recently deceased Christopher Reeve, star of the Superman movies, to promote stem-cell research as a possible cure for spinal-cord injury.

Senator Kerry lambasted Mr Bush's opposition to stem-cell studies and criticised the President's overall approach to science. "He has an extreme political ideology that slows instead of advances science," the senator said.

"You get the feeling that if George Bush had been president during other periods in American history, he would have sided with the candle lobby against electricity, the buggy-makers against cars and typewriter companies against computers."

Mr Bush was on his 40th trip to Pennsylvania, which he hoped to snatch out of the Democratic column, and took on Senator Kerry over one of the challenger's supposed strengths, health care.

He told a rally in the town of Downingtown that Senator Kerry "would move America down the road to federal control of health care which would lead to lower quality and health care rationing".

"When it comes to health care, Senator Kerry's prescription is bigger government with higher cost," Mr Bush said. "My reforms will lower costs and give more control and choices to the American people."

Mr Bush also met the Archbishop of Philadelphia, Cardinal Justin Rigali, in an attempt to woo Catholics, who represent about one fourth of the electorate and are present in key swing states.

Catholics voted narrowly Democratic four years ago. But the president, a born-again Methodist, took the majority of white Catholic votes in 2000 and leads among them this year.

Senator Kerry, the first Catholic candidate for president since John F. Kennedy in 1960, has struggled to boost his share of the denomination's vote.

Several analysts suggested the race was heading towards the same nail-biting climax as in 2000, when the south-eastern state of Florida handed the presidency to Mr Bush by 537 votes after a recount dispute decided by the US Supreme Court.

Most national "tracking" polls showed Mr Bush maintaining a statistically insignificant one-point lead over Senator Kerry. But the challenger was holding his own in states such as Ohio and Florida, which went Republican four years ago. Andrew Kohut, head of the Pew Research Institute, wrote yesterday in The New York Times that polls might remain unreliable until the final days of the race because voter opinion was "highly unstable".

Torog
10-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Kerry ain't no hunter-but he does support banning all semi-auto firearms..I noticed that he carried a single shot,double-barreled 12 gauge,and the other fellers were toting semi-auto shotguns...

sawleaf
10-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Yeah I don't believe he should've gone hunting if he is anti-gun, but even at that I still think he would be a better predsident than Bush. I would rather see Kerry hunting, than Bush playing golf all the damn time. Maybe if Kerry hunts more often his gun views will change a little. Who knows? I am still not voting for Bush or Kerry. :)

pisshead
10-22-2004, 08:31 PM
bush said he would have signed the assault weapons bad had it reached his desk...

it appears mr. bush and kerry think alike on this one...

bush is a blue blood from maine who parades around in a hollywood set with a cowboy hat on. he's not from texas, he's a blue blood elite from the northwest.

sawleaf
10-22-2004, 10:35 PM
bush said he would have signed the assault weapons bad had it reached his desk...

it appears mr. bush and kerry think alike on this one...

bush is a blue blood from maine who parades around in a hollywood set with a cowboy hat on. he's not from texas, he's a blue blood elite from the northwest.

Oh I didn't know he said that. Well lets just be happy that there isn't a assault "cosmetics" ban now. :)

Rooisme1
10-23-2004, 03:15 AM
You can diss him all ya want.....but he knows how to pronounce words...and actually has intelligence, Bush....well, hes a dum dum man. Id rather cheech n chong take over than to let that fidiot in again. Wheres your brain. Bush is so frickin obviously STUPID! Tell me how you feel after youve been in this war fighting.....until then HUSH

sawleaf
10-23-2004, 03:49 AM
Rooisme1, why don't you read our replies a little better before you post a reply that makes you sound like Bush.

Bro DZ
10-23-2004, 04:26 AM
no shit... even though I'm totaly voting republican :D

Peace