PDA

View Full Version : Good?

buddha
10-22-2004, 06:58 AM
OK its about time some one started a new thread. That last one had alot of good thoughts going around and thats where my question for this one came from. Now when referring to god alot of people will say he just wants you to be "good" or be "good" to others. Or people who dont believe in god think all people should just be "good" to be happy. My question what is good? isnt it just an ideal made by the society you live in. So when people say i should just be good are they saying i should be good to their standards or to my own. All over the world there are different views on what is good and what is bad. Is there a set universal law of what good is? Just wondering what people think about this commonly used word.

EminEM1
10-22-2004, 08:11 AM
Fuck mate what are you saying?

Imotep
10-22-2004, 01:48 PM
good is as good does.
thinking good intentions aint no good.
good must be spoken and done, manisfested as an act to be built upon bythe do-good-ee.

man, what the fuck am I talking about? ;)

buddha
10-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Ok i was little drunk when i wrote that but it still makes sense to me of course it does. What my main question was who decides what is good and what is bad. I think that if their was a god we would have all been born knowing what good and bad is, but we dont good is whatever we are told from the begining there is no good or bad its just an opinion of the society you live in. So if what all religions tell you to do must be taught to you first and can be completely changed if your taught in a society different than yours doesnt it seem logical that god wouldnt exists. Wouldnt with all his divine power he would just let you know how to be good? And what do all of you consider good? For believers in god do you think whats in your bible or church is what is good or can you stray from the book a little? Non believers do u think theres somthing we all just know or is it just whatever you want it to be?

Imotep
10-23-2004, 02:31 AM
its a combinating or nature and nurture i reckon.

hehe one mans freedon fighter is another mans terrorist.
both sides have god on their side.
kill infidels even if theyre the your own countrymens kids and go to heaven.

curious question buddah

holotrope
10-23-2004, 05:55 AM
I gues the issue hinges on a few things: If we believe that this perceptual world is the ultimate reality, then we must measure good by the observable consequences of certain actions. If we think there's something more, then we have to be content in the understanding that we can never KNOW what good is in a definitive sense, just like we can never draw a perfect circle, for example. Both are ideals. We still have a standard by which to measure a perfect circle because theoretically we can concieve it. The question is can we do so in a decisive way about Good or Goodness? I don't think we can, in the way of some laws that apply to every situation, but I think we can work with our own values to come up with a way of finding out what we will consider good in a given particualr situation. I don't think in this world we'll find an absolute concept of good without qualification, but I do think we can ascertain what we should place value on in this life, and if we value the right things, then we will defend and promote the right things, and we will be doing some good. But i guess the "right things" can be different for different people- some people can do good by being doctors, some people can do good by educating, some by making great art/music for the world to enjoy. So i guess in this world there are many goods, and they all have something in common with the one ultimate good that exists outside this world. But that's just what I think.

Peace

maryjanemama
10-23-2004, 02:35 PM
I believe good is not intentionally hurting anyone. But, the problem lies in not knowing how what you do is affecting someone else. What I may think is a joke may be offensive to someone else. If there was no bad, then this world would be utopia and we all know it's not.

buddha
10-25-2004, 05:47 AM
God good bad its all crazy i agree with most of you im just gonna do what i do and leave others alone if they leave me alone. Only problem is because a large group of ignorant people have control over a large part of the states, what they think is good is being forced on all of us. Maybe i could start an anti-anti-weed campaign. It sounds weird but instead of just promoting weed propagandize agasint the people propagandizing against weed alot of them do use blown of of proportion facts. Who knows i better write this down before i forget. Oh an im drunk again i just like to think about things like this when im drunk but somtimes it doesnt come out right sorry if its just ramblings.