PDA

View Full Version : growing peppers

poprockspaceboi
08-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Hey everyone. My wife and I love spicy foods and peppers, so we grow our own. We currently have 16 habanero plants, 1 Thai Dragon plant, and a yellow sweet pepper plant too. They're relatively easy to grow and for those interested in peppers, I would highly recommend giving them a try. There are also TONS of companies selling different seed varieties online. A consistent company I have ordered from is Reimer Seeds Company. :smokin:

stinkyattic
08-29-2006, 05:18 PM
I grow hots too. My favorite visually are Italian cherry bombs. They are so pretty!
Good practice for my OTHER hobby... :D

Euphoric
09-02-2006, 10:40 PM
I HAVE GROWN A COUPLE OF THOSE HOT CHILE PEPPERS, THOSE GARDEN PEPPER KINDS THEY PUT IN THERE WITH THE PAPA JOHNS. U KNOW. ANYWAYS, THEY WERE PRETTY EASY TO GROW. I HAD SOME NICE PEPPERSIN JUST A COUPLE MONTHS. THAT WAS USING JUST NATURAL SUNLIGHT THOUGH. I IMAGINE HPS GROWLIGHTS COULD BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH HYDROPONICS TO PRODUCE BETTER PEPPERS. THAT IS ALL.

Are peppers addictive?

Yes, peppers are addictive. Peppers contain capsaicin, a natural chemical that sends a burning sensation from the nerve endings in the mouth to the brain. The body defends itself against this pain sensation by secreting endorphins, natural painkillers that cause a physical "rush" - a high that keeps us coming back for more. So indulge your pepper cravings, and rest assured that you will soon build a tolerance.

OniEhtRedrum781
09-03-2006, 05:03 AM
I HAVE GROWN A COUPLE OF THOSE HOT CHILE PEPPERS, THOSE GARDEN PEPPER KINDS THEY PUT IN THERE WITH THE PAPA JOHNS. U KNOW. ANYWAYS, THEY WERE PRETTY EASY TO GROW. I HAD SOME NICE PEPPERSIN JUST A COUPLE MONTHS. THAT WAS USING JUST NATURAL SUNLIGHT THOUGH. I IMAGINE HPS GROWLIGHTS COULD BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH HYDROPONICS TO PRODUCE BETTER PEPPERS. THAT IS ALL.

Are peppers addictive?

Yes, peppers are addictive. Peppers contain capsaicin, a natural chemical that sends a burning sensation from the nerve endings in the mouth to the brain. The body defends itself against this pain sensation by secreting endorphins, natural painkillers that cause a physical "rush" - a high that keeps us coming back for more. So indulge your pepper cravings, and rest assured that you will soon build a tolerance.

Because Of You, A lot of people are gonna go scarf down a bunch of peppers, Good For You :thumbsup:

S.P.Q.R.
09-08-2006, 04:41 AM
I grow a bit of Habanero plants, I love them :D

stinkyattic
09-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Pics of some of my peppers!
The long ones are corne de toro
The round ones are peperoncini (cherry bombs)
There's one lonely ripe jalapeno too.

lowryderulez
09-14-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm growing some Bolivian Rainbow chilis and Cayenne chillis. At the moment their only wee babies. I love the colours of the rainbow chilis, the name kinda gives it away lol

This is what i'm hoping for by christmas -

rhino44
09-14-2006, 07:52 PM
i love peppers too. but i prefer the sweet variety. i didnt have a garden this year but ive had success with a variety called chocolate peppers. they turn purple then brown and are really sweet and yummy. give them a try you'll thank me.

stinkyattic
09-14-2006, 08:02 PM
I planted a mix that included some chocolate peppers but of all the varieties those are the ones that didn't come up... or by bum luck there was no chocolate seed in that batch, boo hoo.

llama box
09-14-2006, 08:12 PM
I grow the odd vegi as well. I especially like the odd ones.

Anybody like broccoli?

stinkyattic
09-14-2006, 08:18 PM
What in the hell kind of brocc is that?
SO COOL.
Does it have a name? I want to grow some and freak out my dinner guests!

rhino44
09-15-2006, 03:57 AM
this got me thinkin about next years garden and i was lookin for seeds. this page has the chocolcate peppers at the top and go down to the second to last picture the hershey hybrid lol i gotta give that one a try.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/sweet2.htm

Totalpain
09-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Llama box, what the HELL is that? Looks so strange...

Cheers

Total

Mercsix8six
09-16-2006, 02:36 AM
habanero plants mmmmmh those are the best when mixed up in a nice carnesada burito, got some of those in a 1ft by 12ft raised garden with carn and frinken "pop" carn hehe along with pumpkin patch with a 12 pound pumpkin and some smaller ones ohh and a 3.5 ft pot plant thats has about seven side shooots with about 20 different flowering nodes sections heha i especta lot of bud by december ohh yeh

Mercsix8six
09-16-2006, 02:37 AM
posta pic eventully

llama box
09-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Romanesque broccoli

I run a free seed ring and trade in all kinds of food and ethnobotanical seeds. If anybody wants some just drop me a PM.:D

stinkyattic
10-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Do you have alink to your seed ring, if it's online, or a list of possible trades?

llama box
10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Free Ethnobotanical Seed Ring (http://home.insightbb.com/~ethnoring)

latewood
10-04-2006, 04:23 PM
cool thread...I recommend:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/default.aspx

wish you guys would've posted this in the veggie society sticky...
peace

I have some nice bell pepper plants in a bubbler, and will share piks soon...peace

stinkyattic
10-04-2006, 06:56 PM
wish you guys would've posted this in the veggie society sticky...
peace

Hey Latewood,
That veggie thread is getting OUT OF CONTROL!!!!
There's multiple discussions going on and it gets confusing.
Maybe you should consider adding a whole new forum for companion plantings of vegg'ls along with ones cannabis, and users could then start threads specific to their species and grow conditions.

Anyhoo... yay, peppers!

Shovelhandle
12-06-2006, 01:26 AM
I love to garden and hot peppers are my favorite. Each year I'll grow 4-6 varieties of hots. This season it was Red Cayenne, Yellow Hungarian Wax, Red Portugese Chili, Red Carribean Habanero. This season I dried them all. Some season's I make a batch of hot sauce from pureed peppers, salt and vinegar.
I usually get a couple of years from each patch of sauce. It is really good, I like to share with other hot lovers. I'm interested in those seeds, I usually buy seedlings at the greenhouse and just get what looks good that day that I buy 'em. Thai Dragon is one favorite.

Shov

Perp
12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
I am interested in trying this. I was wondering though will I get the best peppers from the veg room or the flowering room? Or do I have to move from veg to flower like cannabis? Can I put tomatos and peppers together? What are some other vegetables I can grow that are not like vines (ie cucumber)?

Splifted
12-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I am interested in trying this. I was wondering though will I get the best peppers from the veg room or the flowering room? Or do I have to move from veg to flower like cannabis? Can I put tomatos and peppers together? What are some other vegetables I can grow that are not like vines (ie cucumber)?

My peppers have been under 24 hour light and are doing just fine. They are already attempting to flower, but I've been removing the buds to let them grow bigger first.

My purple chile, my jalapeno & my baby dorset naga :rastasmoke: