PDA

View Full Version : C02 cooling effect on grow closet

runester
10-10-2004, 07:12 AM
Would a steady flow of c02 from a large tank during light hours cool down a small grow room about 15 square ft enough that I could bring a 400 watt hps closer to the plants?

Runester

rnf232s
10-10-2004, 11:56 PM
I dont see how pumping a gas into the room could cool it. You really need fans to remove warm air and bring in cooler air. With higher amounts of CO2 you can have the temps inside the room higher and the plant do well though.

DR. Science
12-05-2004, 04:10 AM
The effect being refered to here is that CO2 comes in cans or ice, and thus is super cold when introduced to the normal pressure air, this is because evaporation causes cooling, eg when you come out of a lake and the wind hits you and you get told to stop pointing. Now, would it be enough, and would you want it if it were. I think its possible, if you had enough ice or liquid, sure i think you could do it. But now, would you want to. First, there's price, that would cost a lot of money to have that kinda co2 being evaporated into the room, and the room would have to be pretty well ventilated to keep the evaporation, and thus cooling, in operation. This would be a big waste of CO2 and could result in security issues if the ventilated air is not dealt with properly. Second, you could probably achieve a better ammount of CO2 in the room by having it well sealed, but then the cooling wouldn't work.

My suggestion, don't use the CO2 for cooling, that's really expensive, use independently vented lamps so that the air can be drawn from outside the room across the lights and out again without ever picking up the smell of the plants. Also, this method would need CO2 from a bottle or ice, no generator would cool anything, it would heat it up big time, it is a flame after all.
In addition, if you had cold air, say from an airconditioner or the outside in winter for nothern regions, then you could not only take heat from the lamps, but also take heat from the air in the room as transfered through the metal, glass and plastic of the vetilation system. Some modification may need to be made , eg fins on the outside of the metalducting.

Ziggy Stardust
01-29-2006, 05:04 PM
DUDE that is an EXCELLENT idea....simple too especially about using outside air to cool and thus eliminate the scent...simple simple. ok soooo now im cutting an ez to repair 6" hole in the floor and drawing cool air from underneth the house thru the reflectors then exhuasting via an exhisting outside vent. all thats left is room cooling that due to the to the above suggestion ...will not be such a large issue so to with the scent. NOW correct me if im wrong but if the room is sealed and im cooling the room with a small window A/C unit and re circulating the same air wont all i need to do is add CO2 and some small wall fans? wont that allow me to use the gas in a more efficient mannor and get better results due to the sealed room??????

PS ...PLEASE ....can someone help me find a water pump that turns itself ON when theres water in the tank and OFF when there is no water left in the tank??? i need help there as this is bustin me sac

Zandor
01-29-2006, 07:00 PM
CO² does have a cooling benefit to it. Problem is for the plant to get the most out of CO² you need to have the average temp around 88f. No exhaust only fans to move the air around. The humidity will rise as well it's best in the 70's for veg and only down to the 60's for most of the flower cycle. Drop it down to 45-50 the last 3 weeks of flower to force transpiring.

ziggy you need a slump pump switch so you can run any pump you want to. Or just get a slump pump that has the switch on it. The sell them at Harbor Freight tools, HD and Lowes as stock items.

Ziggy Stardust
01-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Z do u mean realitive humidity at 88% then at flower dropping it to 66%? sorry about you having to draw me a picture BUT IAM dumb enough to try to get my room temp down to 45-50. And about the "slump" pump...everytime i look for one they are all huge - the kind used to drain basements and ditches i cant find one used for hydro or small enough to use in like a 15-20 gal resv. im gonna ck lowes and harbor freight ...many thanks

Zandor
01-30-2006, 05:12 AM
There is not one that small I know of. You can build one with a slump switch and an mag drive pump.

Are you trying to build a control bucket for an ebb & grow system?

They use electric float switches 2 of them and 2 pump motors one is the 55 gallon drum and one in the control bucket.

latewood
01-30-2006, 02:56 PM
here you go. This a 'sump pump' switch...Now Z, I am using this in another..."cool hydro toys" thread I am doing; So when you see it twice...don't cuss me out.lol:D

junior super single pump switch...I drew somw res' on the pics to show you how it works...I just got this from...truedeals, an ebay store...good people and they have plenty of these...15 bucks inc. shipping...hope this helps.lw

Ziggy Stardust
01-31-2006, 05:21 PM
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1296254&cp=&kw=float+switch&parentPage=search&searchId=10509336467
^^^ this here isa switch that turns on then the water reacher 1/4 inch and will do just as well ...LOL i hope ...ya gotta remember i aint so smart and to me plug and play is like a revelation from god zandro look at m 2 week olds! im stoked dude