PDA

View Full Version : Buying a light

Dubsak
07-26-2006, 02:30 AM
I'm planning an indoor closet grow. I have heard of using both a Metal Halide light and a High Pressure Sodium light. Which one kind is best, and what wattages should I be looking for. Thanks.

/dubsak

forwonderbear
07-26-2006, 03:19 AM
good, i'm glad someone else is asking the same question i'm looking for answers to. i'm SURE the first thing folks will ask you is: how many plants are you growing? how big is your grow space? perhaps what strain? all that. the more info you give the easier it will be to get help. i myself am planning to constuct two wooden "armoir" type cabinets. big ones. use both for different purposes but mainly one to house mother plants and one for active bud cultivation. my idea would be to have intake and exhaust vents on the back, so any light would leak toward the wall, i'd want quiet fans (considering 120mm nexus computer fans, but maybe to complicated or not enough airflow), have two intake on the back near the bottom, and two exhaust on the back near the top.

but i digress. good luck!

forwonderbear
07-26-2006, 03:21 AM
HPS seems to be the gold standard around here. some folks are having success with just using compact flourescents. not the same as a hardy HPS, but if you have a small space, and heat is an issue, or you need to use little power, it's a thought. i'm definitely considering it just because it would use less electricity and have less heat issues.

you'll also want a fan inside your closet oscillating, creating a breeze. strengthenes the plants

Pothead4204life
07-26-2006, 05:04 AM
well you actually need both MH and HPS..MH has a higher Kelvin temperature which is better for vegging...and HPS is lower kelvin which is used for flowering...i would go with 600w depending on space and vetalation

ronjohn420
07-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Pothead4204life good one. youre exactly right, and if you do this dubsak, they make a conversion bulb that both will fit the ballast. If heat is an issue, i would grow with 48" flouro tubes, this is alot less expensive (and is suffecient). but if youre adiment about getting the HPS/MH light kit, you can get a decent one online (1000w HPS for 219.95- 400w HPS for 144.95) and the MH versions are slightly cheaper. im doin a closet grow (about 12 sq.ft.) and ive only used 48" flouros and ive done good (but ill still hit spikes of 93'F with those).... so theres somethin to consider..

heres those links

http://www.gchydro.com/sunsystem/SXH_H100.asp

http://www.gchydro.com/sunsystem/lig_sun.asp

jamstigator
07-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I have zero problems vegging with CFLs. So, I dunno that you really need to mess with MH lighting. CFLs for veg, HPS + warm CFLs for flower, works great for me.

orangeman
07-26-2006, 03:01 PM
I have zero problems vegging with CFLs. So, I dunno that you really need to mess with MH lighting. CFLs for veg, HPS + warm CFLs for flower, works great for me.

Yeah, I really believe you should just buy CFL's for vegging, dont spend all that money on a MH.

Dutch Pimp
07-26-2006, 07:23 PM
400HPS Hortilux.......if you can handle the heat...... equals some serious buds.

Dutch Pimp
07-26-2006, 07:33 PM
What amounts are you looking for? ...me?.... I thought a bushel basket would be perfect!.....and thats about what I got...first grow. White Widow (to die for)

ronjohn420
07-27-2006, 04:32 PM
dude, im sorry....but....... HPS = buds
warm CFL = alot of hard work for a small to moderate yeild

stinkyattic
07-27-2006, 05:38 PM
You have more flexibility for vegging. MH, CFLs, or even tube flourescents can be used in a pinch. CFLs are the most versatile though for the $$$.

For flowering, you can't beat a HPS.

Dubsak
07-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Can I just buy a HPS and use it for both flowering and veg? I'm working with closet conditions so I don't need a huge light. I'm looking at the 400W HPS setup.

stinkyattic
07-27-2006, 06:21 PM
You can if you want. No one is going to stop you.
But CFLs are so cheap, efficient, and pull so little juice that you're silly to write them off.

latewood
07-28-2006, 04:07 AM
you can veg just fine with an hps...If you want just one light, then buy a 400hps...they also make great air-cooled lamphoods, so that is an option.

ronjohn420
07-28-2006, 11:53 AM
please folks........ dont lead this person astray, dude stick to the old rule of thumb, "the more light, the more buds" (which if im correct, were not looking for cheap light, were looking for HUGE TATER BUDS)

THE BEST LIGHT MADE FOR GETTING SUCCESS WITH THOSE "BIG BUDS" IS A HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM,

yes other lights will work, but the main objective (YEILD) will lack...
the plant needs a red spectrum to bud (which this puts off)

it will be decent for veg. , but you will see the difference right away

plus...... think of this , CFL bulbs 7-11 dollars US (per bulb)
plus...... your fixtures, incandecent fixtures 5-??? dollars
around 50+ dollars

your 400w HPS (ready to plug in and use) $144.95 US dollars

conclusion.......

400w HPS 144.95 = big ass buds and dank smoke (depending on you)

43w CFL x6 @ 8.94 ea. (53.64 just bulbs) = decent yeild

seems like a no brainer to me....

144.95 HPS set up @ http://www.gchydro.com/sunsystem/SXH_H40.asp

Dutch Pimp
07-28-2006, 04:00 PM
That's what.... I am talking about!......HUGE TATER BUDS.

Dubsak
07-29-2006, 08:00 PM
RonJon

That link you provided to the HPS light... Do you have one like it? I am working with about a 6' x 4' x 8' closet. Is that light going to be safe to leave on 24hrs a day, or will it get way too hot and start a fire or kill the plants with heat?

I want to buy a light within the next week, so if anyone has any info that would be great. Happy growing.

Dubsak

ronjohn420
07-29-2006, 09:07 PM
okay dubsak, ive got my g. room on the pics below......

keep in mind that any hps is going to generate alot of heat (ESP. A 1000W)

ive got the 1000 hps on order, i have not recieved it yet but (I HAVE A COOL TUBE READY) if you dont, and if youre room is same size as mine i would use a 400 watt only (unless you have a cooling system ready)

also i do not start plants in my g. room, i have a stelth box i use, which has a 42w CFL for veg. plants , then theyre goin under HPS

i would go all out!!!!!!!!

OR DONT GO AT ALL

ronjohn420
07-29-2006, 09:18 PM
THIS IS MY STELTH BOX, RAN ON A 42w CFL AND 2- 80mm case fans

PS... a great way to put that old windows 95 tower to use

and the CFL and fixture and all was under $16.00

and to all who are gonna post about this, "the plants are not yellow, its a cheap ass webcam"

latewood
07-29-2006, 11:13 PM
bookmark this link, and buy your stuff here...

http://www.bghydro.com/search/?q=400+watt+high+pressure+sodium&filter=0&site=BGH_store&output=xml_no_dtd&client=BGH_store&ip=10.1.10.2&proxystylesheet=BGH_store&getfields=productimage.productname.description

these folks have the best prices, knowledge and service.

Dubsak
08-01-2006, 04:42 AM
OK, this will be the last post on this thread, I promise. :dance:

I will have about a 6' x 6' x 8' closet space. I am going to buy a MH or HPS light and use it for both veg and flower. I have looked at so many links to lights that I'm not sure which is the best one for the money.

If anyone is growing in about the same amount of space can you please give me a link and tell me exactly which light to buy? Thanks all, once I get going pictures will be forthcoming. :D