PDA

View Full Version : mylar

Moose101
07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm having problems finding mylar. None at walmart, home hardware or canadian tire. And I checked a couple other independently owned businesses. That's all there is in my home town. There isn't anything else for another 800 or so km. I'm broke and I'm willing to settle with paint I guess. I've gotta nother question since I'm already here. We will have a rather large excess of drywall compound. Will that work just as well? I'm thinking it might collect moisture because of it's texture. Maybe I'm wrong, it's called 'dry'wall compond after all.

stinkyattic
07-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Drywall must be painted with a primer so it isn't vulnerable to moisture. An oil based primer with a fungicide, then flat white paint for growing applications.

Walmart often carries cheap mylar emergency blankets in the camping supplies section. Make sure you get them to sit flat when you hang them up.

orangeman
07-18-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm having problems finding mylar. None at walmart, home hardware or canadian tire. And I checked a couple other independently owned businesses. That's all there is in my home town. There isn't anything else for another 800 or so km. I'm broke and I'm willing to settle with paint I guess. I've gotta nother question since I'm already here. We will have a rather large excess of drywall compound. Will that work just as well? I'm thinking it might collect moisture because of it's texture. Maybe I'm wrong, it's called 'dry'wall compond after all.

Just order it online then.

http://www.discounthydro.com/

the image reaper
07-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Just order it online then.

http://www.discounthydro.com/

he said "I'm broke" .... :smokin:

orangeman
07-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Oh sorry lol, didnt see that. I better inform you I'm high after a 2 months break. I'm blaze xD.

latewood
07-18-2006, 05:27 PM
I got a question...You said your broke...he said order it...then heeee said, He said He was broke...What I want to know! LOL How were you going to buy Mylar in your hometown?..if your broke:confused:

Anyway, sLOL, stinkyAttic was right on...you would have to paint the "mud" before it could be used for the inside of a grow room...I would just stay away from drywall "mud" in the growroom, period!

Just paint with flat white, a primer sealer is a good idea for longterm permanent room, but not necessary if you are on a budget...peace:smokin:

Pothead4204life
07-18-2006, 06:32 PM
at walmart they have mylar as windshield blocker......pretty cheap...bout 5 bucks or soo...buttttttttt....you will need alot sooo.....since your broke as a joke....just paint it flat white....

stinkyattic
07-18-2006, 07:52 PM
And you know the other perennial question....

'If you're too broke to buy supplies, who's paying for the electricity?'

Plan ahead!

pastor420
07-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Moose, at Walmart the mylar is also in the camping section. Look for the Emergency Blanket which sells for $1.98 and is a 52in x 84in sheet of mylar.

KL4D4
07-20-2006, 03:32 AM
My friend is doing his basment up for the upcoming school year, they just moved in, well he said he got a bunch of it for free somewhere in town, something because its a byproduct of aluminum

Moose101
07-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, I spent 80 bucks so far. Got myself 2 45 watt cfl's, 2 13 watt red cfl's, 5 square pot thingers, 2 of those emergency blankets, some soil, 4 light sockets (found 2 in my dad's house), and I also found a couple rather large fans that my dad will never miss. So all I have left now I think is a timer, and some ph testers. What do you think?

I gotta hundred bucks coming in a couple days. Now what's the cheapest way to build a grow chamber? Nothing fancy, I'm prolly going to fit it in my camper where the table is supposed to be. There is maybe 2.5'x2.5' in the clossets. I doubt that will be enough. Plus I don't like the idea of cutting holes in the doors for the fans. I'm guessing a couple 2x4's and some drywall? My uncle that lives accross the street is a carpenter, he'll lend me any tools I need.

BTW, do the red 13 watt cfl's from wallmart contain IR light?

forwonderbear
07-27-2006, 12:18 AM
are you feeding yourself?

UnitedParcelSecrets
07-27-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm not sure the 13 watters will be all that useful ... I mean any extra light that isn't incandescent is good, but I don't think they're what you're wanting.

sailfish7
07-27-2006, 07:01 AM
not at all. those 13 watters wont do anything, they are way to small.. look at 1000bulbs .com als oyou can get 2mil mylar for like 20.00 bucks at americanag.com