PDA

View Full Version : fan leaves

sc0usa
10-01-2004, 04:06 PM
hi

my plants are looking very bushy and they r only 9 inches high,the fan leaves are unusually fat and are blocking all the light to the newer leaves underneath,can i cut the fan leaves off so that the light can get to all of the other leaves or will it stunt the growth?

cheers guys :)

The Student
10-02-2004, 04:09 PM
I would not suggest cutting the fan leaves.

Are you using HID lighting? If you have a good light the penatration of light should be strong enough to keep everything green and growing. If you are using some fluoros then you might not have enough light penatration and your lower leaves will yellow.

Fan leaves are like giant food-banks for your plants. When people start cutting them off the plant looses food.

Hope this helps.

Peace

sc0usa
10-02-2004, 04:49 PM
im using HID lighting so ill leave em be then,just the bottom fan leaves are looking a little bit pale n dry but apart from that they r all green and healthy.

cheers m8 :)

dylan
10-02-2004, 07:40 PM
some older leaves will die as their not needed, ie. the very bottom of the plant. this will happen more indoors, as the plants get taller and the light is moved up.

Proof
10-03-2004, 06:56 PM
i wouldnt recomend cutin the fan leaves down either if the leaves underneath need light they will fight for it and eventualy they will poke through to get light

sc0usa
10-03-2004, 07:15 PM
yeah,all the bottom leaves are showing through but now the last few days some of the fan leaves have like pale burns and the very bottom ones have shriveled and gone crispy with brown bits(not really starting fom edges though,the rest of the leaves look fine,my ppm is 850 and my ph is 5.6/5.9 so would that be nutrient burn,im using a 400w multi spectrum lamp/bulb 18/6 about 17/18" away from top of plants in a hydro ebb n flo,using rockwool,temp is 27 degrees, flooding 15 mins every 6 hrs in the light(3 times a day)and there are 6 three week old white widow,dark i dont flood,i know i havnt got pests but does everything sound right or am i doing anything wrong? hope u can help me.

thanks people :)

sc0usa
10-03-2004, 07:18 PM
oh yeah,and im using vita grow a & b

The Student
10-04-2004, 05:02 AM
sc0usa

Sounds like you have a nice well planned setup. I think that everything seems to be within range.

Is the light maybe to close, causing a little burn?

Hope you figure it out.

Peace

sc0usa
10-04-2004, 12:41 PM
yeah,ive moved the light away a couple of inches,hope it works

thanks for the reply :)

delta 9 thcv
10-09-2004, 01:02 PM
sure ya not givin em too much o that vita grow? can't be burn from lights if its lower leaves. shouldn't be nutrient deficiency if only 9" tall. hope its not too much nitrogen. what medium ya usin'?

sc0usa
10-09-2004, 01:26 PM
ive sorted it now m8,it was my ph meter,it was 0.9 out,but they r fine now.

thanks for the reply neways :)