PDA

View Full Version : Schwag

phoenix
06-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post in the Growers Lounge, and I plan on growing my own plants pretty soon. I have one question that does not really concern growing, but rather what some people grow. This may be a stupid question, but why does schwag even exist?

Doesn't it take just as much time and effort to raise a plant yielding schwag than to one yielding very good chronic? Why would anyone in the right mind even try to raise a schwag plant if they had the ambition to grow their own? The only reason I can think of is seeds, but if a person is able to put together a small growing operation shouldn't they have resources(especially now the big seed business growing on the internet) to get atleast decent seeds?

It just kind of puzzles me. Growing isn't necessarily the easiest thing in the world and it takes care, so why care so much about horrible brown, dry weed?

Jdog7000
06-03-2006, 07:09 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

justaseed
06-03-2006, 10:22 PM
schagg is not necessarily because of the seeds used. it is mass produced in huge feilds. males are not removed and when harvested it is just compressed into bricks and smuggled across the border. this smuggling takes time in which the pot starts to rot and also thc degrades into cbd. that is why schwagg exists. you can grow seeds from schwagg under good conditions and get some pretty good pot from it.

elcheapo
06-03-2006, 10:37 PM
schagg is not necessarily because of the seeds used. it is mass produced in huge feilds. males are not removed and when harvested it is just compressed into bricks and smuggled across the border. this smuggling takes time in which the pot starts to rot and also thc degrades into cbd. that is why schwagg exists. you can grow seeds from schwagg under good conditions and get some pretty good pot from it.

Great Answer!

justaseed
06-03-2006, 10:54 PM
thanks, i try...lol

L3G10N
06-04-2006, 07:26 PM

I've always wondered about that before. If one could take schwagg seeds, grow them under good conditions, filter the males and harvest and cure them properly if the weed would be any good. Thanks for that post Justaseed.

Kush Over
06-05-2006, 01:48 AM
I've always wondered about that before. If one could take schwagg seeds, grow them under good conditions, filter the males and harvest and cure them properly if the weed would be any good. Thanks for that post Justaseed.

We'll have to find out, then. I've got a plant grown from shwag seed a few weeks from harvest. :D

The Grim Reefer
06-05-2006, 02:03 AM
My first grow was shwag.
My friends say it tastes like ramen.

http://boards.cannabis.com/showthread.php?t=50907&page=8

m.g.
06-05-2006, 03:19 AM
but you can have sinse schwag while top quality seeded bud is also easily doable. seeds mean little when it comes to potency, just as seedless means little. same goes for brick. i've seen high quality colombian in compressed bricks and it was some awesome stuff! it's all in the genes...

Kush Over
06-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Yes, but typically a female grown to sensimilla quality that hasn't been turned to seed will yield more bud weight and generally be a bit more potent.

A female plant that's isolated from males will produce many more stigma and trichomes than a seeded female of the same age. This is because she is desperately looking for pollen, and more stigma and trichomes will accomplish this if it's present.

m.g.
06-05-2006, 03:29 AM
i disagree there. i've found there are more trich's on seeded flowers as the pod area is greatly increased and pods are where the most concentrated trichomes can usually be found. if you look closely at those pics of master kush in the pic room i believe you'll be able to see what i mean.

elcheapo
06-05-2006, 04:24 AM
I know what you mean m.g. but think that is incorrect. A healthy plant with a mature flower should have bracts almost as full looking as a seeded bract. Other than that I agree with Kush Overs previous post.
But I do agree that a seeded plant will get you some seriously heavy stones. Just not as many as 'sinse' and with an increased risk of a surprise seed explosion.

justaseed
06-05-2006, 01:47 PM
imo a female plant that gets pollinated will basically switch its efforts from trichome production to seed development which will ultimately lead to lower quality (seeded)bud. i do see everyones points stated above, i am just stating what i have seen from my own experiences. every plant is different so i suppose anything is possible.

latewood
06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
imo a female plant that gets pollinated will basically switch its efforts from trichome production to seed development which will ultimately lead to lower quality (seeded)bud. i do see everyones points stated above, i am just stating what i have seen from my own experiences. every plant is different so i suppose anything is possible.this is the exact right answer...

Once pollenated a plant turns it's energy to seed production, and all thc production pretty much stops.

Just because you have alot of trichs...doesn't mean you have alot of thc...only the potential for thc...

period...this is not debatable...
Yes you can grow seeded plants and get high. but, If they are not seeded and grown to maturity, they will have alot higher thc content, laeding to higher potency.

peace, lw:smokin:

latewood
06-05-2006, 04:29 PM
but you can have sinse schwag while top quality seeded bud is also easily doable. seeds mean little when it comes to potency, just as seedless means little. same goes for brick. i've seen high quality colombian in compressed bricks and it was some awesome stuff! it's all in the genes...welcome to the boards M.G.:)
Unforunately, your info is total 'crap'...Please don't be offended, but you have alot to learn.

good luck with your grows,
sorry, lw

the image reaper
06-05-2006, 04:48 PM
one of the best questions I've seen in awhile ... :thumbsup:

justaseed
06-05-2006, 06:13 PM
i grew out some bag seed a while back and ended up weeding out the crappy phenos till i had 1 indica dominant plant that produced incredible amounts of trichs and had the smell, taste and high just like alot of the northern lights i've had. the plant did tend to hermie late in flower but all in all it was a good "strain", not top shelf but good none the less. that is where genetics comes in, it's the difference between what i had from the bagseeds and some real top of the line smoke!

latewood
06-05-2006, 06:23 PM
hermies are going to happen, when growing from seed...

I just planted some bagseed from a bag my brother bought from a jamaican...It kicked ass, so I am growing somw of the seeds...It looks like White Widow, now that it has kicked into serious veg...

Just think about it...If you take good genetics and grow it poorly, then you will end up with OK smoke.

If you take a seed from some bud you bought and grow it correctly...there is a good chance due to all the closet growers buying good gentics...that you can come up with good product, through sound growing methods and the luck that you stumbled onto good genetics, that someone else grew. Imho

Now some of my buddy's don't agree with this, but, even experienced growers have many topics of debate, when it comes to hermies and genetics.

lw

justaseed
06-05-2006, 06:27 PM
i'm sure my grow room had something to do with plants hermying but on the other hand i had strains that never hermied and others that hermied all the time. so i believe genetics as well as environment play a great role in determining if a plant will hermie.

latewood
06-05-2006, 09:38 PM
consider this. If you had a pollen sack open in your room once...see where I am going with this?

do you clean it really good each time you re-grow?

justaseed
06-05-2006, 09:50 PM
yes, i always took everything out, bleached floor, walls and ceiling and basically sterilized all the equipment.

i don't have a grow currently do to 1 year probation, but when i did have a grow, my white widows would always hermie on or around week 10 of flower as did my master kush but my gypsy's kiss never had 1 hermie at all in any point of it's life cycle. because of this i have to assume it is somewhat determined by genetics whether a plant is prone to hermie or not.

orangeman
06-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Well I dont consider any green, or fresh weed schwagg. I just consider it really low quality. The only thing I consider schwagg is that fuckin brown weed that people let sit and get old and still try to sell it off as if it were any good.

latewood
06-05-2006, 10:05 PM
cross breeding can produce hybrid variations in plants...some, although kickass, are not stable...that's one take on it. lw

m.g.
06-06-2006, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=latewood]hermies are going to happen, when growing from seed...

in all my years of growing indoors and out i have never had a hermie nor seen any in friends' grows. i think most are just a case of misidentifying females and wishful thinking while looking and waiting for preflowers.

breeding stable strains with another stabilized strain makes F1's and can be counted on to be 25% like the mother, 25% the father and 50% mixed traits of both but ALL should have 'hybrid vigor' and grow faster and bigger than the parents. that hybrid vigor is what makes F1's so desireable especially if coming from high quality strains.

justaseed
06-07-2006, 02:00 AM
we weren't talking about "true hermies" as i have never seen a true hjermie othr than in pics. we were talking about when a female plant puts out a few male flowers late in flowering. some strains seem to do this more than others. i think it is a self preservation instinct or more accurately a genetic preservation instinct. all living creatures have a natural compulsion to reproduce. a female plant senses that the end of it's life cycle is near and it has not been pollinated yet(virgin) so in a last effort to reproduce and pass on its genes to another generation it produces a few male flowers in the hopes of self pollination. some plants/strains seem to have this instinct to a greater extent than others. remember, these hermies can be caused by stress as well. everyone reading this must be aware that these are just my conclusions based on personal experience as well as alot of research over the years. although this theory makes perfect sense to me others may disagree.

LIP
06-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Swagg is all about the way its grown, almost always for sale.

mad5387
07-03-2006, 07:24 AM
some of the best I ever had was Colombian Red Bud in the late 70s. I swear it was almost half seeds and by weight more than half. It had been dry in town for a couple months so I didnt mind too much paying twice what we had been for thiss seedy crap. But it just totally kicked but. I was around for about 6 months then gone. Havent seen it since. I know it was mass produced so I really really wish I had some of those seeds now.
Sweet Leaf Dreams

burnable
07-03-2006, 10:16 AM
what the hell is the premise of this thread? how can I contribute if i dont' know the subject matter properly?

elcheapo
07-03-2006, 01:27 PM
It makes sense if you read the first post on page 1.
Well at least it did for me. :)

Jdog7000
07-03-2006, 01:36 PM
what the hell is the premise of this thread? how can I contribute if i dont' know the subject matter properly?

Dude,get a clue.:thumbsup: