PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Hemp

Ed Ward MD
09-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Industrial Hemp
Government often prepares the way for oppressive legislation by exaggerating a current danger, or by rhetorically turning harmless people and things into bogeymen.

Certainly this has been the case with industrial hemp. Although it includes a technical exemption for hemp, The Controlled Substances Act of 1970 generally treats hemp like marijuana, its psychotropic cousin. Smoking industrial hemp to "get high" yields about the same result as smoking the evening newspaper; and while the government contends that hemp can be useful as camouflage for marijuana growth, even laymen can easily distinguish between the two.

What makes current federal policy so tragic is that industrial hemp is estimated to have 25,000 constructive uses. Indeed, until recently the qualities of perhaps the world's most useful plant were widely understood and utilized. Ironically, in early 17th Century America, laws existed REQUIRING farmers to grow hemp. Later, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson both left glowing references to the plant in their writings.

Hemp even has a record of heroism: During WWII, the U.S. war effort needed hemp-based supplies so badly that it instituted the "Hemp for Victory" program. The beginnings of today's repressive policies were already in place by the late 30s, as a result of propaganda efforts waged against hemp by the petro-chemical and timber industries. However, when America's very survival was threatened, the government exempted farmers and their sons from military service if they'd agree to grow it.

The ahistorical perception that those interested in legalizing hemp cultivation are all drug users has far-reaching economic, ecological and humanitarian effects. Consider just a few of the benefits we're missing out on:

According to a U.S. Department of Agriculture report, "Hemp Hurds as a Paper-Making Material" (Bulletin No. 404), the core of the hemp stalk produces more than four times more paper than trees in proportion to land area cultivated.

Raw hempseed oil can be used, without any modification, to power diesel engines.

Thousands of natural food products, including staples like cheese and milk, are made from hempseed. Its protein content is higher than any plant source except soy -- and is more usable than soy as well.

Although anyone can manufacture and sell hemp products in the U.S., it is illegal to cultivate the plant. An untold number of income opportunities, which would easily be supported by the growing demand for ecologically friendly alternatives, are denied the American work force. Availability of overseas hemp is insufficient to meet demand. Jobs -- not just in cultivation, but manufacture of goods -- are lost.
If the War on Drugs is senseless and unfathomable in light of reality -- and it is -- the prohibition on cultivating industrial hemp is even more so. Canada and the European Union have more enlightened -- and economically sound -- hemp policies than the United States.

The Bush Administration has attempted to ban hempseed food products which were formerly exempt from the definition of marijuana; foods that have no harmful effect whatsoever, and which aren't even remotely associated with recreational drug use.

As your President, I would open the way for free-market exploration and exploitation of industrial hemp. I'd veto legislation funding enforcement of laws against it, and I'd lobby Congress to repeal those laws.

Isn't it time we had a leader who defended the economic freedom which so well serves the interests of the American people?

I'm Michael Badnarik, Libertarian for President. I ask the tough questionsâ??to give you answers that really work!

http://www.badnarik.org/Issues/IndustrialHemp.php

Ed Ward MD
09-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Nor even your bumps for bumps sake. Just want to make sure the facts are received along with it. BTW, thanks for the links to Badnarik. I used all the official libertarian ones at the liber site, no response. I'll try the ones listed in Industrial Hemp. I would love to hear that others simply overlooked my first question and that the Libertarians would support a concept that will give them Tremendously Less Power and Return the Power to The People. I hold my breath in anticipation.

Ed :cool:
Campaign Manager Fred Collins [email protected]
Asst. Campaign Manager Barbara Goushaw-Collins
Operations Manager Geoff Neale [email protected]
Personal Asst. to Mr. Badnarik Jon Airheart
Executive Asst. to Mr. Collins Jeremy Linden
Events Coordinator Cheryl Bates [email protected]
Volunteer Coordinator Aimee Cole [email protected]
Volunteer Coordinator Celeste Adams [email protected]

The following contacts are for members of the MEDIA ONLY
Media Coordinator Thomas Knapp [email protected]
Media Coordinator Jeff Frazee (512) 275-6722