PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

gjpop2000
05-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Let me start by saying that I've never grown anything in my life, so I'm a huge newbie. I made a post in "Basic Growing" which has much more details on how I'm growing it. I just wanted to ask these questions:

One - Does growing demand that I use both male and female seeds, or can I just use one type?

Two - The seed that I planted was a light-green color that has a very light (not significantly visible) white fade on one side of it. Is this a healthy seed, and what gender is it most likely?

Three - Does growing require me to plant multiple seeds, or can I use just one?

I appreciate any helpful suggestions provided. Thanks. :)

del...
05-15-2006, 12:06 AM
1. no, besides there's no way you can tell which are which. there are no 'sex types'.

2. no idea what you're talking about but sometimes leaves are varigated (striped) but means nothing. once again, can't tell sex until the plant matures further...usually 5-8 weeks old.

3. plant as many as you have space for to better the chances of getting a female. 1 or 2 will be good for experience but if you expect any kind of harvest at all you'll need a couple females. plant 10 and hope and pray for 2 nice females.

go through the archives and read up on the basics...

gjpop2000
05-15-2006, 12:41 AM
1. no, besides there's no way you can tell which are which. there are no 'sex types'.

2. no idea what you're talking about but sometimes leaves are varigated (striped) but means nothing. once again, can't tell sex until the plant matures further...usually 5-8 weeks old.

3. plant as many as you have space for to better the chances of getting a female. 1 or 2 will be good for experience but if you expect any kind of harvest at all you'll need a couple females. plant 10 and hope and pray for 2 nice females.

go through the archives and read up on the basics...
Thanks. :) I'll check that out.

To fill you in on number two, I was just asking if it's a healthy seed. I've heard that you can tell by examining a seed to confirm if it's healthy enough to grow correctly. I described it a little bit so that a marijuana seed maestro would be able to inform me a little bit on what to expect. However, from what you've said, I suppose you can't determine until it's begun to grow.

Legalizdahurb
05-15-2006, 01:29 AM
You can buy feminized seeds for a lot more money but you can still get some males in there. Its a case of get them going and cross your fingers.

Jdog7000
05-15-2006, 02:52 AM
That seed might be ok. It sounds like it was a little pre mature. A good way to test if they are good. Is to squeeze them between your fingers.
Or germinate in a paper towel.

gjpop2000
05-15-2006, 04:26 AM
That seed might be ok. It sounds like it was a little pre mature. A good way to test if they are good. Is to squeeze them between your fingers.
Or germinate in a paper towel.
Yep. I squeezed it between my fingers because I remember that being a way to help determine its well-being. It didn't crush or anything with a moderate amount of pressure. So I guess it's most likely healthy... is it?