PDA

View Full Version : FoxNews is holding my parents hostage

graymatter
04-06-2006, 03:53 AM
OK, I bet I'm not the only over 40 person in this forum. ;) I grew up in a family that pretty much embraced the changes that came out to the sixties and early seventies, including the acceptance of weed.

30 years ago I felt safe to say whatever I want and to let the chips fall where they may. My parents voted for Nixon and Ford but "they liked Ike" and Goldwater more, and they smoked pot....:rasta: I UNDERSTAND that, given they were and are (at their core) fiscal conservatives and social liberals.

Today (yes, they no longer smoke) they are devout supporters of GW Bush & Cheney :confused: , yet they overlook how the republican party has sold its base to religious fanatics and chicken hawks.

I've had some... well... intense arguments with them but I feel like I'm affecting their health if I don't back off...

Any thoughts, insights?

phareye
04-22-2006, 01:14 PM
i'm not over 40, but i am over 30, and i've come to realize there's no winning.
not that it's a win/lose situation.
ol' W appeals to people on an emotional as opposed to rational level.
there's no debating emotions.
my dad voted for W twice. since then, he's come to realize what a BUTT-NUT he helped put in office.
dad says he almost wishes W was running for a third term so that he could vote against him.
i have never once said, "i told you so".... but i'd be lying if i said i didn't think it once or twice.
i got no suggesstions for you other than let them figure it out for themselves if they haven't already.