PDA

View Full Version : Derailed

graymatter
04-03-2006, 12:45 AM
NOTE: if you haven't watched the movie and you were planning on it, then don't read further until you have watched it.

I'm doing an informal (i.e., short for no methodology) study to see if gender influences how we may or may not anticipate plot.

In this case it's the movie Derailed, with Jennifer Aniston, and some other male actors... (ok, that should be a significant factor in that I have no idea or interest in who the guys in that movie were)

I recently watched the movie on DVD and then I gave it to my girlfriend a few days later.

Here's how we saw this thing unfold.

Me - this guy discovers he has no cash to pay his subway fare and Jennifer Aniston steps up to pay his way (she looks incredibly hot). Flirtation begins, leading to rendevoux lunches, drinks, and ultimately a seedy hotel room where they are about to have steamy, prolonged sex, but then they are mugged by an intruder. She is brutally raped and he is extorted out of $100,000. It's horrible and it seems they will never consumate their passionate affair.

My girlfriend - calls me 10 minutes into the movie and asks me if Jennifer Aniston is at the center of the hustle...

Any other takes on that flick? :thumbsup:

DonnieDarko
04-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I saw most of this coming most of the way .....In the train scene, this looked like "Fatal Attraction", after the hotel scene , I'm thinking "The Grifters". I didn't anticipate what happened in the final scene ... although I imagine that there was a touch of "Falling Down" in the final few minutes.

Because Jennifer Anniston is really the only character that we know, she is the focus, and she seemed shady from the start. I never believed her. Because of that, the movie's general outcome is predictable, although the plot twists are far from predictable.

I can't believe that I watched 2 hours of violence, and got no nude shots of Anniston.