PDA

View Full Version : more female seeds

jolly green giant
08-28-2004, 12:40 PM
has any one got any methods of ensuring a higher chance of getting female plants from seed.
ive got 5 white widow seeds in the fridge at the moment. cheers...

bonbon
08-29-2004, 03:55 AM
I've read someplace that if you soak them in this stuff prior to germ,it increases the m-f ratio,superthrive contains this,i've never tried this myself,but i really dont believe it would work anyway....bonbon

jolly green giant
08-29-2004, 10:55 PM
I've read someplace that if you soak them in this stuff prior to germ,it increases the m-f ratio,superthrive contains this,i've never tried this myself,but i really dont believe it would work anyway....bonbon
bonbon.....were you stoned when you posted that advice ? lol

bonbon
08-29-2004, 11:58 PM
I read it on another forum a while back,from a respected grower mind you,and i still dont really believe it,but who knows until you try,i just might for the hell of it,why dont you give it a go yourself jgg,and let me know if it works,but dont take my word for it...bonbon

guerrilla farmer
08-30-2004, 07:33 PM
i have never heard of a tried and true way to ensure a higher ratio of femes from seed. but if you keep a male separate from the femes and use a pollen bag on one of the female braches, you'll have more seeds than you know what to do with, so it won't really matter what kind of m to f ratio you get (at least for the next time).

Tech
08-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Iv,e herd off just soaking em in water will give u a higher chance of a female.
Never tryed it miself mind.
How would anyone ever find out without germanating the same seed more than once. :confused:

jolly green giant
08-31-2004, 01:47 AM
I read it on another forum a while back,from a respected grower mind you,and i still dont really believe it,but who knows until you try,i just might for the hell of it,why dont you give it a go yourself jgg,and let me know if it works,but dont take my word for it...bonbon
hey bonbon, think i'll just leave it to nature, ive grown white widow before, it virtually grows itself. but thank's for the advice man.

my best tip is to leave your seeds in the fridge for a couple of weeks, dont know why, just read it, did it, and it seems to help. i always get at least 4 out of 5 females.

will be posting pics of this grow so check em out later... only planted seeds 2 days ago...heres hopin.

bonbon
08-31-2004, 02:08 AM
good call jolly,besides i wouldn't want anyone to try somthin that i wouldn't try myself,i keep my collection in the deep freeze too,look forward to see'in your pics,good luck and HO HO HO....bonbon

dHazed
09-01-2004, 01:28 AM
feminizing seeds no matter how it is done will result in more hermaphroditic populations than non feminized so leave them alone. you should get around 70% femmes if you plant in something that is at least 4" deep.

jolly green giant
09-02-2004, 12:33 AM
feminizing seeds no matter how it is done will result in more hermaphroditic populations than non feminized so leave them alone. you should get around 70% femmes if you plant in something that is at least 4" deep.
yeah man i know about that. thats to do with the tap root isnt it..

mander82
07-19-2007, 06:27 AM
you cant get 100% females without going back to the plant and using male hormones (giberelic acid) to produce polen balls on a female plant then polonate a SEPERATE femail plant with the polon, then all of the seeds will be "feminized" this should only be done by experienced growers as feminizing seeds is expensive, lots of work, delicate and risks destroying a valubul plant (and others if exposed to giberelic acid)

also i have heard of people feminizing seeds by feeding asprin to the male plants in a similar way to fertilizer and aparently this gets between 90%-100% female seeds.

basicly if you want all females either a: buy fully feminized seeds
b: grow double plants than nesasary then weed out the males after a few weeks
c: buy cutings from femail plants
d: buy plants already known to be femail

in your case you would probably do best to take option a but if space is an isue then option c would be ideal, the only thing to consider are weather the plant whitch the cutings are from is: potent, has soft hits, is an indoor/outdoor plant, depending on ware you grow, and size

email any questions to [email protected]

i do not smoke, grow, deal etc. and dont intend to, i am just hihly facinated by this amazing plant and also believe it is far safer to home grow than to buy potentialy contaminated product from some dodgy guy dow a dark alyway.

btw: white widow is sutch dam strong stuf u can smoke the mails to! (just remember to harvest before the polen starts to come up)
(although it wont be anyware near the quality of the females)

stinkyattic
07-23-2007, 03:00 PM
That stuff that you are supposed to soak seeds in, it's called sensa-soak, and it DOES NOT WORK. It is a total snake oil product. BS to the MAX.

the image reaper
07-23-2007, 04:29 PM
That stuff that you are supposed to soak seeds in, it's called sensa-soak, and it DOES NOT WORK. It is a total snake oil product. BS to the MAX.

I'm glad you brought a 'good' answer to this thread, Stinky, because this whole page is so full of BAD info, I didn't even want to reply to it ... there are just so many erroneous postings in the Cultivation section lately, guess I'll just credit it to 'summer recess' ... :wtf:

brussels
07-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Several years ago, I read an article by Belgian or Swiss growers, attempting to increase the percentage of female plants. It seems that through many trials, they found a very high success rate following a procedure during weeks 3 and 4.

They claimed a 90%+ female rate could be had, if several controlled issues were adhered to. For the past two years I have been using this method, and though don't claim 90%, I have managed around 75% consistently. All my germinated seedlings go into 6" homemade cardboard pots, and remain there until wk 5.

1. Weak high nitrogen nutrition... Beginning wk 3, I dissolve fertolome 21-0-0, at one tsp. to a gal. It takes about 24 hours for it to dissolve as it's a hard granule. Keep soil semi-moist, but never wet. I know, it's a chore.

2. Low temps... I keep the temperature in that portion of my grow shed at 70 degrees with a small window unit if needed. This is Texas, and ya never know.

3. High humidity...I use a fan type humidifier timed with the lights, and shot for 65%+

4. Blue 6400k and red 2700k lighting... I use a T5 floro fixture on top, and 65w cfl's for side light, on a 16/8 cycle.

I only do this once every spring, starting the last week of Feb. As you can see, it's a huge pain in the butt, though as I do a great deal of outside growing, it does help space management. Clones make up the largest part of my indoor growing, simply for the economy of no wasted space.
I've tried to find that article from a couple years ago on the net, but have not located it yet. I will continue searching as time allows, and post it here if i do find it...B

stinkyattic
07-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Brussels, I do something quite similar.
My seedlings go under a t5 fixture with both the red and blue tubes.
Seedlings are grown in a room that is air conditioned to 65 degrees, but under the light is slightly warmer.
Watering is done by standing the 6-pax in a tray and adding just a bit of water to the tray so the soil surface stays quite dry, and I never get sogginess.
Nitrogen is applied in the form of SuperThrive, sometimes just to the point of a slight slight scorch (oops!), starting when seedlings have 2 sets of true leaves.

My female ratio usually comes in at about 2/3.

the image reaper
07-26-2007, 03:19 PM
I have a list of supposedly 'female beneficial' techniques, from an old grower's guide I came across ... I am NOT endorsing it, just passing it along ... it says:

" start these changes at '3-pairs of internodes' stage, and continue for the next 2-3 weeks " :
1. Higher Nitrogen
2. Higher Humidity
3. Lower Temperature
4. More Blue Light
5. Fewer hours of light (this was to discount the 24-hour lighting argument)

you know what ? ... I have a hard enough time, just keeping plants happy and healthy, than to worry about influencing their gender ... if you grow even close to 'correctly', nature will normally give you at least 50% females ... not a disaster, I wound up with only ONE Willie Nelson female from ten seeds (9 no-germinate) ... but, took over 50 cuttings from it, for cloning ... :smokin: