PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on lighting for small growing area.

JustSurfin
02-08-2006, 01:30 AM
Hello Fellow Growers,

I need advice on what kind and how much lighting i'll need. I'm only going to germinate four seeds at a time hopefully to get one or two females to take to bud. I've been doing a little homework on lighting. Heat is a major consideration because my apartment is small and I live in the south. Also, I plan to grow "lowryder" because they are smaller and shorter. The growing area is a closet 2' x 2' x 8' ceiling. I've seen these "bundled" compact high output screw-in type fluorescent lights that offer 125 watts and 8500-9500 lumens. I've seen a few others that are 200 and 400 watts. Again, the primary coverage area is only 2' x 2'. What do you think? Any comments?

Thanks,
Mark

mobay
02-08-2006, 09:33 AM
perfect the bulbs you are looking at works good my closet was the same size. i used 3 125 w fluo. for 3 plants. and when it come for the 12/12 flowering part you can get 2 125w 2700k compact fluorescent lights. these lights will take care of your heat problems. but for the smell your plants are going to be kicking out , i would go with a oil scented plug in 2-3. keep an eye out for the maintaince man cause they come in to change the batteries in your smoke detectors.

mightymarijuanabuds
02-09-2006, 10:36 PM
those bulbs will be just fine.. i would either switch them both for reds during flowering or get one of each color to run together

oil plug ins, air fresheners, the odor absorbing gels... crap you get at the supermarker doesn't really work too well for controlling odor in my experience... but all strains are different.. i hear LR is relatively low odor.... personally i would never grow indoors without either an ozone generator or a carbon scrubber, AND all the cheapo supermarket crap for extra

to give ya an idea, i grow with 150w of HPS and 60w of extra fluoro in about 3 square feet... about 1oz per plant on a good stocky indica

i run a 200mg/hr ozone generator for 20min at a time, it comes on throughout the day / night.. every hour or 2... my ozone level is a little higher than it should be for health risks, but my house sees enough outside ventilation that its not a problem even for my small animals... i also keep 4-5 air fresheners open just outside the grow, and in the room of the closet there is a mini ionizer running 24/7

that takes care of most of the odor, enough to be safe... but once in a while i can catch a slight whiff... but its only in the room with the grow, and very weak... most of the day i notice nothing though .. .but if its during a week that i am drying in there too then nothing stops the odor.. i just have to leave the room closed up so it doesnt stink up the whole house