PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Cabinet project - new questions

MisterSource
02-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Ok, so today I stopped by Home Depot for about 2 hours. I hate shopping, however this time it was not so bad :)

Those who remember me from my previous thread help me out again if u can. I am an idiot, I bought an HPS kit, but I didn't know I needed a ballast. I also bought a 400w HPS bulb with the wrong socket type... I can already tell I am going to be going back and forth to Home Depot alot more. lol

Well, now that I am realizing how much all of this stuff is starting to add up to...
can anyone recommend a cheaper light setup that will be ok for a cabinet system? I browsed the light bulb (CFL) section for a long time, and could not find all of these hi watt bulbs I need.

I have my ventilation, grow space, etc, all worked out. I just need to figure in lighting. I would like to be able to keep the heat minimal, as the ventilation I will be constructing will not be good enough to do any extreme cooling.

Thanks in advance.

Da1KrayzieThug
02-01-2006, 06:16 AM
Lil homie, I got you, don't worry homie. yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaa
aaaaaaaa
aaa

Ok for real though. I ordered a 65W CFL from this website. It worked wonders and the guy who runs the website is really fuckin awesome (plus super duper faster shipping)

I later browsed his website and found some 85W Full spectrum CFL's that fit into normal sockets.

http://naturallighting.com/store_front.cfm?&parent_id=39

There you go lil homie...

WOW they have 105watters now too.

Anyways, Goodluck <3

Da1KrayzieThug
02-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Remember though, lights around 2700K are good for budding and 5500K-6500K for vegitation.

Da1KrayzieThug
02-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Also, make sure the voltages are right for you (they make 2 products look the same with a super tiny difference)

MisterSource
02-01-2006, 07:03 AM
is that enough wattage? it seems kind of low compared to what others have done here.

ok anyways, I got done assembling the cab, primered it, flat white paint all around, siliconed seams, and weather stripped the door.

tomorrow, i am going to tackle the lighting issue, install the fans, and work on my filter system. (making a carbon scrubber)

i would LIKE to be able to pick up some light setup locally, and not have to wait and order from a specialty shop. it looks like i am going to be using this cab for vegging, and create another setup for flowering.

thanks for the link, i'll check it out. However, I think I am going to be wanting much more wattage hehe.

justaseed
02-02-2006, 05:32 AM
what is the size of the cab/ ventillation, etc. all of those things should be figured in when choosing a light. in my 2ftx2ftx3ft chamber i have 350watts of cfls and pull a qp at harvet. in my 2ftx4ftx6ft chamber i have a 400hps and 4 42watt cfls and can pull 13-14oz at harvest. so as i said there are alot of factors to consider when choosing a light. check out these links for great lighting at great prices
http://www.northernlightsgrowroom.com/3%20multispectrum.htm
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/

MisterSource
02-02-2006, 06:13 AM
thanks. i ended up going with Sun Sytems t5 CFL for the veg cab. probably will go with HPS setup for flowering cab.

my cab is small. i am using a cab that is 30x19x35 outer dimensions.

it has a vented 4' opening at the bottom as a passive intake.

6' opening at top with a 85cfm fan working as the exhaust.

the exhaust fumes are filtered through a carbon scrubber outside the cab.

the cab seams have been silconed, duck taped.

i will be starting 2 clones in 5 gallon buckets side by side.

flowering will be done in a simular cab that is much larger, and more aggressive venting/filtering.

any input or recommendations are appreciated.

Da1KrayzieThug
02-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Very nice, I'd love it if you could keep a grow log from before your plants are even planted so you can show people your full setup. I'm sure there will be a lot of people to like your ideas and maybe build something similar. Goodluck <3

MisterSource
02-02-2006, 08:21 AM
thanks for the encouragment. i am trying to get a camera to borrow so I can start a grow log.

good news i think. i am running the lights and vent system today, and after 8 hours of running it enclosed, my ambient temp is 75F. Not bad i think?

can't wait to place the clones and start on my flowering cab.

MisterSource
02-02-2006, 10:04 AM
any recommendations on a low budget high CFM fan?

current one is 85cfm, but would prefer something that had more power for the flowering cab.

turtle420
02-02-2006, 12:56 PM
any recommendations on a low budget high CFM fan?

current one is 85cfm, but would prefer something that had more power for the flowering cab.
Hey Mister,

I haven't posted, but I've been following this thread... very good to see another cabinet grower (me too)!

For the fans, man, it's funny, I was @ the same situation you're @. I had a 6" 90CFM fart fan pulling air OUT on top... but I wanted something more.

Well, I bought on eBay a Dayton 10" Axial fan for like $50... rated for 550CFM, and it consumes like 50Watts of power @ most. It isn't too noisy, and it works perfectly for my setup.

Maybe that'll help you... please let us know what you do :)

Best to you,

-turtle420 :cool:

justaseed
02-02-2006, 04:07 PM
don't start clones in 5gal buckets! you need to start in small containers and repot as they grow. this creates a better root ball and thus a better yeild. not to metion watering a small clone in a 5gal bucket could get tricky. when roots grow they just go out to the edge of the pot and down to the bottom leaving the center almos empty. that is why we must repot to get good yeilds. also test your cab first to make sure the temps don't go above 80 to much. i have a feeling 85cfm isn't enough. i had an 85 on my flour cab initially and had to switch to a 190cfm kitchen type ceiling exhaust fan from home depot. it works great and was under 50$. here is my stealth cab

turtle420
02-02-2006, 04:11 PM
here is my stealth cab
Hey justaseed,
I love your SCRoG pics man... I'm studying them zoomed-in and everything... super interesting. Very nicely done. I hope mine come out that way!

Best,

-turtle420 :cool:

MisterSource
02-02-2006, 10:12 PM
hmmm bathroom ceiling fan hm? I might check that out. All the bathroom fans I have ever heard are quite loud though. I need it to be pretty quiet!

justaseed
02-02-2006, 11:06 PM
i have that tv stand cab in my bedroom without a noise problem. they are far from silent but they aren't loud.

turtle, here is another thread i posted some scog pics in. i have alot more if you wanna see or discuss scrog futher just e-mail me [email protected]
http://boards.cannabis.com/showthread.php?t=50046

MisterSource
02-03-2006, 12:46 AM
What do u think of this fan for flower cab exhaust. 160cfm-200cfm switchable.

8' fan
telescoping housing. 3.5-6.5 clearance for mounting.
55 watts
$44

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/164175_4.jpg

MisterSource
02-03-2006, 12:48 AM
for internal cab air circulation?

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/164174_4.jpg

MisterSource
02-03-2006, 01:03 AM
don't start clones in 5gal buckets! you need to start in small containers and repot as they grow. this creates a better root ball and thus a better yeild. not to metion watering a small clone in a 5gal bucket could get tricky. when roots grow they just go out to the edge of the pot and down to the bottom leaving the center almos empty. that is why we must repot to get good yeilds. also test your cab first to make sure the temps don't go above 80 to much. i have a feeling 85cfm isn't enough. i had an 85 on my flour cab initially and had to switch to a 190cfm kitchen type ceiling exhaust fan from home depot. it works great and was under 50$. here is my stealth cab

thanks bud. i'd love to have ur plans for ur flower bow. i think i can fit a 2x6x4 in my room hehe.

justaseed
02-03-2006, 01:51 AM
they have those fans at home depot!? the home depot's near me don't have anything like that. i wish the did. they both look good. i always have trouble finding small fans for air circulation in my cabinet. my 400hps grow is easier, i just use a wall mount oscillating fan.

MisterSource
02-03-2006, 02:00 AM
it may be online only, which is fine.

man this is fun! heehee. i gotta get a damn camera tonite and start a new thread

Da1KrayzieThug
02-03-2006, 05:44 AM
That last corner fan you posted looks like all it has is a computer fan inside of it. Can't be too strong. However, you mostly only need something to be blowing on the plants since you have the right temps going. Goodluck <3

justaseed
02-03-2006, 01:41 PM
i find very weak fans are better for circulation in small cabs. if it is to strong the plants get windburned since the fan has to be so close in such a small environment. and as da1krayziethug said if the temps are right all you need is "something blowing on the plants" gently. just my .02$

justaseed
02-03-2006, 04:15 PM
hey da1krayziethug, did you get my last e-mail? i answered all those questions for you(kind of) but something happened when i hit send so i'm not sure if you got it.

MisterSource
02-04-2006, 12:24 AM
i dropped a couple bag seeds in to test the environment. One of them has split and I see signs of sprouting! :)

temps ar 80ish in day - 75ish at night.
PH is 6.5 (is this ok?)

justaseed
02-04-2006, 12:57 AM
6.5 is fine for soil but it should be lower for hydro.

MisterSource
02-04-2006, 01:54 AM
thanks justaseed and everyone else for the input.

i will be planting a white widow, and master kush clone in there very soon.

as well as some seeds.

going to take pics and such before that though, so I can begina grow log.

you guys are awesome!

justaseed
02-04-2006, 02:13 AM
i have both those strains right now!! i love white widow. my mk's are just breaking the surface today.

MisterSource
02-04-2006, 02:22 AM
nice. i can't wait to catch up with ya! :P

i love ur posts btw. really informative. now i gotta go get me some chicken wire :)

justaseed
02-04-2006, 03:00 AM
thank you, i just try to share my experiences with others as best as i can so someone else may learn from them as well. i really don't feel as if i have enough knowledge to answer questions as much as just tell what i have tried and how it has worked for me. i am glad you find my posts useful. og has taught me almost everything i know.