PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Cabinet project.

MisterSource
01-25-2006, 02:33 AM
Hello all. I have enjoyed reading alot of your posts, and learning from your experiences. I think I am now ready to try out a cabinet grow box. Any tips would be appreciated. i am likely to start with clones, and would like to grow at the given space's highest potential. (I do not want to overcrowd too much) In case I ramble, I made the questions bold.

Here is the cabinet style I have in mind.
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/53850_PE154486_S4.jpg

Basically I want to make it completely air tight with woodglue/silicone at every joint. The main storage area would be the grow area. I was planning on using the other storage area for filteration, so that everything was self contained.

I was going to use a scrubber type filter system, and exhaust it out through the back of the cabinet. Intake would be passive, also placed in the rear of the cabinet. This cabinet will be placed against the corner of the room, diagonally, to give room for flow, and wiring. Any suggestions on exhaust fan cfm needed? I was hoping to just use some 150cfm computer fans, but do I need more than 1?

I am not sure what type of lighting to use, but I assume I will make a way so that it can be adjusted as the plants grow. Any recommendations here?

Watering, can I do this manually?

Aluminized paint on all the inside walls. Possibly velcro for the cabinet door, for a really tight box?

How many plants do you think I can get in this?

Any input, recommendations, comments, etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks!

johnny cottonmouth
01-25-2006, 03:56 AM
Hey Mister. my current grow is in a cab almost idetical to that one only the space above the draws is a little smaller. yes get more than one computer fan. i have an old fridge fan for intake and one for out take. and it still gets up to 80-90 F. but its also designed poorly. ill improve that on the next grow. i have 3 plants in there each a week apart but soon as i get their sexs ill kill 2 of them because once their flowering they get huge. and it will fill up the cab.

MisterSource
01-25-2006, 06:41 AM
really? so i only get one full plant out of this?

thanks for the response btw!

BkSkillz
01-25-2006, 08:05 AM
i would personally try to fit about 20 to 30 plants ina cabinet like that divide them up to 2 areas veg an flower veg for the smaller cabinet on the right flower for the larger cabinet during the first grow veg about 10 to 15 tilla bout a foot tall then flower for sex kill off half the males put the remaining 5 to 8 females in the the larger cabinet on the left take clones have them veg in the first cabinet finish flowering the mothers then repeat the clone an flower technique for a perpetual harvest...sounds good to me at least in theory

MisterSource
01-25-2006, 09:34 AM
yeah, 2 chambers would be easier in the long run. i was trying to keep it all in one unit.

i really dont want to have to make an additional attachment for the filter.

maybe I can use this for a learning experience and then go from there if I continue.

it's quite possible i will have someone else handle the cloning and curing for me anyway. if that happens, then i won't need the extra chamber.

BkSkillz
01-25-2006, 10:39 AM
its all really simple the computer fan towards the top of the cabinet where you could place a makeshift carbon scrubber which u could either buy or make easily with a day or 2 of reading up on them i saw a fartfan attached with a carbon scrubber at the hydroshop around here for 100$'s but since i dont mind the smell to much i'll pass on that for now then remember for ventilation the exiting airwhole should always be smaller then the entering airwhole to pressurise it jus right since hot air expands and air in towards the bottom of any grow chamber cool air in hot air out hot air rises,then if u'd like u could make a simple rastafan jus look into turtles thread on page 3 or 4 i believe jus to make sure the flow is good an freshair is circulating and do urself a favor put alil deskfan inside the chamber to strengthen the plant with a nice breeze might seem like alot but it really isnt growing is a work in proggress after a while u'll know what works an what doesnt best of luck

JokerDooD
01-25-2006, 05:20 PM
hi man ,thats a nice drobe .. two rooms wud be so nice :D anyways ,
i got a smaller drobe with only pc`s fans for intake an outtake ,1x120mm pc fan IN 1x120mm pc fan OUT,im in the uk so its pretty cold outside so im guessin this is why me temps aint gone sky high , (im also using a 400whps)
anyways i got 3 x 3foot high plants in my drobe an an oscilating fan ,so i dont think ya realy need to do just ONE plant in there ...
anyways check out me drobe an the door wud wrk great for urs ..

http://boards.cannabis.com/showthread.php?t=46083

:rasta:

MisterSource
01-26-2006, 01:45 AM
thanks for the tips. I will post photos as I build, and progress.

johnny cottonmouth
01-29-2006, 06:56 AM
well im also going for a very stelthy grow. and im tring to keep it to as few plants as possible. hence 1 or 2. im also using a SOG type of method.

Crispyfried
01-29-2006, 03:14 PM
My newly build grow box is made with a $100 computer cabinet from Walmart. It's not too high, but is deeper than most regular cabinets. I had to get some thin plywood and nail it to the back, instead of using the cardboard stuff that came with the cabinet. The tricky part is trying to get light from leaking out from the door seams. I used a lot of foam tape for that, and screwed it down.