PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Membership fee

DonnieDarko
01-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi Cafe Members,

I just noticed that the Cafe membership fee has been raised to $50 bucks a year. I wanna know how all y'all feel about this ....

I have no problem with the $$$, as I believe in supporting the entire site and the cause. Having a world-wide site talking about what is illegal in all countries throws the middle finger at the so-called "leaders" and laws of the world.

On the other hand, I come to the cafe to exchange ideas and experiences with the 10-20 people who regularly read/post. If this fee hike drives you guys away, then I'll no longer be interested the membership.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from all of you .... Will you be sticking around ???

Breukelen advocaat
01-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Since I post a lot, mostly in the Politics section, I didn't mind paying 25 dollars a year as a courtesy, but I don't see any benefit to paying $50.00 for Cafe membership.

Maybe there should be different levels of voluntary membership, for example: a "green" membership for 10 bucks a year, "red" for $25, "gold" for $35, "Cafe" platinum for $50, "Cafe" sustaining would be $75, etc. Maybe this has already been tried here - but I don't know. My postings on the Cafe-only threads account for a very small percentage of my input, and are not worth 50 bucks a year - while many other people are using this site much more without Cafe membership and pay nothing. There are people getting free grow advice, that are making, or saving, money on their plants - which is fine, but I'm not one of them.

No, I will not renew my membership for $50.00 a year, unless EVERYBODY has to pay an annual fee to post - or there should be options, some examples of which I listed above. It seems like the vast majority pay nothing, and the Cafe members are pulling their weight, and that of others. I'm sure that other Cafe people will feel the same way and drop their support.

I don't know anything about the in's and out's of website economics, but I know the buck stops when prices are doubled for a "luxury" item like this.

Just my :twocents:

HannabisTheCannabis
01-14-2006, 05:27 PM
hell i don't know...... i guess i depends on at the time of my renewal date i'm into it or not.... 50 seems a little steep... lets make a counter offer.... say $35?????

HTC

budsbuddy
01-18-2006, 01:29 AM
I just signed up a few months ago so i will be around for a while. But I only paid to come here to get away from all of the natter on the other lists. But I do not have 50 bucks for it. I will have to find some where else.

Cannabis.com
01-18-2006, 03:23 AM
The price was increased in large part due to the manual nature of processing memberships; further discourages troublemakers from joining.

Think of cafe membership as a donation of sorts that comes with some extra benefits.

Ron

lemonboy
01-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Grr. Kinda disappointed by that response. One of those extra benefits should be the ear of the administrator from time to time. I just don't have $50 to "donate" to a site that tried to auction itself off for $1mil last year, sorry.

robert42
01-18-2006, 07:18 PM
I think $50 is silly,

Not worth it really. Free membership is just as good. im not complaining, but what lemonboy says is true.

BobBong
01-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Think of cafe membership as a donation of sorts that comes with some extra benefits.

A donation would imply that i can "donate" any amount of money for the extra benefits. when's the last time Salvation Army asked you to donate at least 50$?
People buy Memberships.. because they pay you a specific amount for specific services.

If 50$ is what you'd like it to be, then so be it. It's completely up to you. It's your site. Personally, I would've been a lot less inclined to "donate" 50$ for a year membership..But in a year's time when my membership runs out.. My social and emotional attachment to this site will be much greater.. so yea, i could see myself paying 50$ for a year.
That is.... if it stays @ $50.00

If you want to throw the word donation around then we should be able to "donate" any amount of money...

Bob.

ScarlettCrush
01-19-2006, 02:07 AM
yeah I can't afford that much a year.
20$ is ok, I can go without takeout for a week or two, but $50 is like my whole entertainment budget for a month.

also dissapointed in ron's response. :(
it is the members that make this site cool so maybe chasing us off and ignoring what we have to say isn't as good an idea as you think.

vaporhead1
01-19-2006, 01:39 PM
That price increase is definately not good, to present members, and especially to prospective members.
Look at it this way: Would you rather have 1000 memberships @ $25.00, or 300 memberships @ $50.00 ? I think that's the way it's going to play out, that the extra amount tacked on obviously is discouraging to many, as witnessed by many of the above posts. WHY doesn't anyone listen when members who have been here for some time speak ? And if anyone does listen and responds, surely
it could have been a much better response, something like "Yeh, our bandwidth has increased so much, and increasing rates by our web hosting company make this membership increase necessary", not some statement about donations....
L, if I wanted to donate something, I'd donate something; people BUY things for a specific reason; people DONATE for a specific reason.
That's what happens with most good freeware, it goes from freeware with donations to commercial software, because NO ONE DONATES ! So, flock donating anything. I don't mind paying for things, but I pay for a specific thing.
JMHO....

Cannabis.com
01-19-2006, 07:12 PM
The Cafe will remain a small, intimate group of folks seeking extra features they feel are worth paying for ... while understanding the bulk of the membership fee (will remain at $50; won't go up any further) is a donation of sorts.

It's human nature to expect something tangible in return - asking for donations alone gets practically zero response; many people need motivation ... so if one gets something, even if nominal value, one is more likely to "donate".

Ron

lemonboy
01-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Still, given the complicated nature of the signup process as well as the price increase do you think it is wise to alienate your already paying members? I don't think anyone has said that the features aren't worth something... but did they suddenly get more valuable? $50 is a lot for a forum membership. Let's look at what you get at WebHostingTalk for $50 a year:

Exclusive T-Shirt (one-time)
Exclusive Mousepad (one-time)
Advertising Discount on WebHostingTalk.com (25%)
Advertising Discount on iNET Network Sites (25%)
WHT Insider Newsletter Subscription
Customizable WHT Skin
Premium Member Bar Under Name
Larger PM Storage Box (500)
Access to Premium Member Forum Section
Newest Posts on WHT RSS Feed Access

I'm pretty sure we're just looking for what is indeed fair. Thanks!

ScarlettCrush
01-20-2006, 01:14 AM
Still, given the complicated nature of the signup process as well as the price increase do you think it is wise to alienate your already paying members? I don't think anyone has said that the features aren't worth something... but did they suddenly get more valuable? $50 is a lot for a forum membership. Let's look at what you get at WebHostingTalk for $50 a year:

Exclusive T-Shirt (one-time)
Exclusive Mousepad (one-time)
Advertising Discount on WebHostingTalk.com (25%)
Advertising Discount on iNET Network Sites (25%)
WHT Insider Newsletter Subscription
Customizable WHT Skin
Premium Member Bar Under Name
Larger PM Storage Box (500)
Access to Premium Member Forum Section
Newest Posts on WHT RSS Feed Access

I'm pretty sure we're just looking for what is indeed fair. Thanks!

ok that, I would pay 50$ for

HannabisTheCannabis
01-20-2006, 01:36 AM
hell i think it's worth it already..... look everybody is talking....

HTC

Floyd Pepper
01-20-2006, 02:24 AM
I am not sure why I paid other than to support the site. (I don't think it was $50 though!) I am new here, so I really don't know the difference between free and paid membership. I wouldn't mind a t-shirt though! <grin>

What are the perks?

Scarlett, I've got Tool running through my head now. Thanks for a great sig!

Cannabis.com
01-20-2006, 04:39 AM
A free complementary cannabis.com (or one of several other choices) t-shirt to both new and renewing members, who want one, is something I've often thought about doing... at the $50 level, sending out complementary shirts, etc is more viable.

Ron

likemclever
01-20-2006, 04:46 AM
No sorry, I can't... I can justify 20-25 a year on this. Don't get me wrong it's a great site but I just can't afford it. When my membership runs out I will not renew for $50.

ScarlettCrush
01-20-2006, 09:05 AM
I am not sure why I paid other than to support the site. (I don't think it was $50 though!) I am new here, so I really don't know the difference between free and paid membership. I wouldn't mind a t-shirt though! <grin>

What are the perks?

Scarlett, I've got Tool running through my head now. Thanks for a great sig!

I really like tool a lot, sober is one of my favoritist songs of all time.

robert42
01-20-2006, 12:33 PM
No sorry, I can't... I can justify 20-25 a year on this. Don't get me wrong it's a great site but I just can't afford it. When my membership runs out I will not renew for $50.

well done for saying so

some people would ballshit waffle but u said it how it is :thumbsup:

Inspiration
01-20-2006, 10:28 PM
There are lots of cannabis related forums - but its good to have a home....

But ... at $50 there should be some tangible benefits really ... maybe we should think about what functions / facilities would be nice...

OH - T-shirts are a good idea tho!

Cannabis.com
01-21-2006, 10:35 PM
The features of cafe membership could certainly be improved, but I'm already spread pretty thin as it is...

A possibility is to hire someone (as a contractor) to revamp the Cannabis Cafe homepage, improve the features of membership (this would require some webhosting, etc on their part), promote cafe memberships, and collect membership payments ... in return they'd receive a percentage (on top of surcharges they choose to add for high-risk payment types) of each cafe membership sold.

It could be a great arrangement for cafe members (they'd get more value, for their money), for me (one less thing to worry about), and the contractor - they could make some nice bank while supporting a worthwhile site.

Welcome thoughts.

Ron

DonnieDarko
01-22-2006, 09:54 PM
When my membership runs out I will not renew for $50.

It won't be the same without likem.

likemclever
01-23-2006, 01:31 AM
no worries donnie I'll still be arround...and besides you know where you can find me.

I don't even know when my membership is up.....one day I might just go "poof" and be gone.

Inspiration
01-23-2006, 09:59 AM
The features of cafe membership could certainly be improved, but I'm already spread pretty thin as it is...

A possibility is to hire someone (as a contractor) to revamp the Cannabis Cafe homepage, improve the features of membership (this would require some webhosting, etc on their part), promote cafe memberships, and collect membership payments ... in return they'd receive a percentage (on top of surcharges they choose to add for high-risk payment types) of each cafe membership sold.

It could be a great arrangement for cafe members (they'd get more value, for their money), for me (one less thing to worry about), and the contractor - they could make some nice bank while supporting a worthwhile site.

Welcome thoughts.

Ron

Ron,

Will give it some thought - I run a few websites, and understand the pressures you are under.... maybe there is a linkup we could do on a site I am planning to launch fairly soon... will drop you the address of the "test" site by PM so you can take a quick look, although its really in skeleton form right now and the graphics design has not been completed....

Talk soon!

Cannabis.com
01-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Nice site and good layout ... however, the "contractor" would need to develop a website specifically for the Cannabis Cafe for cafe members - that site would then interface with this one to for a seemless member experience.

I've replied to your PM :)

Ron

kb70
01-24-2006, 04:43 AM
Man I give away more than 50 bucks o weed a year just hangin with friends..

50 bucks ta hang wit y'all seems like a pittance...

I'm in

Cannabis.com
01-27-2006, 04:32 AM
Been listening to suggestions.

Thinking of making the $50 a one-time fee ("lifetime") instead of yearly. About 35 expired cafe members would be reinstated if the change happens.

Welcome thoughts.

Ron

lemonboy
01-27-2006, 04:59 AM
That sounds like a great idea. Thank you!

{S gotpm

HannabisTheCannabis
01-27-2006, 12:12 PM
sounds like we're getting closer to a solution.....

how about throwing in a pot leaf t-shirt to seal the deal....

HTC

ScarlettCrush
01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
imagine hot chicks (like me) walking around adverstising cannabis.com right on their tits only to find out when you log in that those hot chicks are members.
*wakes up*
good dream

vaporhead1
01-28-2006, 05:29 AM
I've had L on this board this evening [CST]. Snail response to ANYTHING, just totally FU'd !!! Yeh, I can see why you want more for a scipt !!!!!
But that doesn't take into consideration the members who have already paid, and expect a board that will respond.
That's really sorry to bring members to this point, where they just say Fuck It and give up. 'Sorry, there ain't no better or nicer way to state that; you expect members to pay to be here on certain forums, and we expect to be. It ain't workin' out that way man. You're regeneing already to members who've been here for quite a while by not allowing adequate bandwidth to even flocking logon. That's the whole thing, right ? You've gone beyond what you were allocated and we're gettin it with Vaseline and up the rear real deep !
Thanks !

Cannabis.com
01-28-2006, 11:57 AM
After reading feedback here and some emails / PMs, cafe membership is going back to $25 per year (the few who paid $50 will have an extra year added), and credit card payment will be permitted again.

Due to the changing policies, some cafe members didn't renew ... thus some expired cafe memberships will be reinstated.

So basically, membership will be back to the way it was before...

In addition, cannabis.com t-shirts will be available shortly for only an extra $10 each (and that includes s&h!) to cafe members in the U.S.; around $15 or so for cafe members outside U.S. due to postage costs.

Plus, the long proposed incentive program may be launched in the near future ...

Current proposal is 5 cafe points automatically assigned to each cafe member ... with the ability for cafe members to earn 5 additional cafe points for each new paid cafe member they refer...

Proposed incentive rewards...

* 25 cafe points for a free t-shirt
(only 4 referrals needed to earn)

* 50 cafe points for a $25 giftcard or some equivalent, such as a free cafe membership for a friend.
(9 referrals needed to earn)

* 150 cafe points for a $100 gift card or some equivalent.
(29 referrals needed to earn)

* 250 cafe points for a $200 gift card or some equivalent.
(49 referrals needed to earn)

Welcome comments :)

Ron

Cannabis.com
01-28-2006, 12:00 PM
vaporhead1- MOM is asking for trouble, and is clearly stated in stickies all over the place.

The link to scam search may be giving many people the wrong idea about MOMs and thus the link may be removed, and further restrictions placed on MOM discussion on cann.com depending on feedback.

Ron

likemclever
01-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I think you made very good decisions all arround...

lemonboy
01-28-2006, 08:29 PM
I agree. Thank you.

vaporhead1
01-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Ron, that's really funny, because I was gonna' post that because of the fact that I like this board & there are quite a few friendly folks here willing to help with everything from germinating seeds to drying shrooms, I'd go for the increased fee :)!! Now you tell us.... Whatever, I do understand a little of what it costs to run a site, and I didn't mean to be a grinch last night, but man, we really must need more bandwidth or something, because my response was very, very slow; must've been a lot of people on last night. And it wasn't my ISP; I took my laptop and walked outside and logged on through a neighbors totally unsecured network, who has a diff ISP, with the same results. Anyway, 'just saying I was beginning to see why the increase might be necessary, but I'd better keep pretty quite about that, or I'll have a mob attacking me :)!
So take care, and keep us posted on changes, and yeh, you're right about many moms, and I ain't talking about the ones who raised us. L, it's bad enough sitting it out waiting for seeds at times, but I think I have that one down pat by now.
Seedbay's the only other place I'd like to buy some things, and I'll probably use them in the near future.
But man, you're talking about changing things, like the law...it just ain't gonna' happen in our lifetime, and that really sucks. I mean, right here in the state I live in, Willie Nelson has a strain named after him, but we ain't made much progress getting even medical things legalized here. That's what's really bad here, is this is not a state where you want to get involved with the legal system, cause it's a bad one, and really hard on people. It's so ironic, because some people get more time for minor violations than what some murderers get !! But I do hear you, and will do what I can. 'Ya just gotta' be a little careful & not to draw too much attention to yourself though !
Good luck Ron, and keep us posted.

Canadabis
01-30-2006, 04:12 AM
I paid 30 bucks canadian, I am not paying 60 bucks canadian next year >< no fucking way jose.
I realy enjoy this place, but this is the sort of precident setting you cant allow, its how governments work.
"you paid us, and it cost alot to count it, so now you have to pay more 0.o"

Canadabis
01-30-2006, 04:15 AM
hang on, im a space cadet, just saw the other posts...
Yeah pretty reasonable, fuck points though. But it would work on most folk.
I wouldnt mind a t-shirt, can i get one for 15 bucks more?
Do you have size small tapered?

ScarlettCrush
02-03-2006, 06:45 PM
yay! I like that one! thanks ron

dogg
02-05-2006, 03:07 AM
Very nice proposal.

DonnieDarko
04-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Aight, thanks Ron ,,,, I'm in for another year ,,,,, My egold acct has made some cash over the last few months of inactivity, so it's all good.