PDA

View Full Version : FIRST TIMER SEEKS ADVICE

greenmonster
01-13-2006, 06:19 PM
hello,
this is my first time of doing this and i need a little help with a couple of things.

1) what nutrients should i use on my babies? Presently they are 4 weeks from when i put the seed in the rockwell (now in soil) and are all different sizes. i am thinking of getting 'Dr. Hornby's Big Bud Powder' -from advanced nutrients- for the flowering period. any good? At moment i am using 'baby bio' which is something the guy in my local garden centre sold me for young plants. Is this any good or should i get a better nutrient for the veg stage? NOTE: i live in england so the brand-names are most likely different to in the USA!

2) i read on this site somewhere that a plant will double in height during the 12/12 cycle, is this true? Cause i was thinking of growing mine to about 14-16 inches and then putting them on 12/12 but if they are going to double in size afterwards i wont grow them so tall before i start them budding.

ok cheers guys.
here are some pictures of my first attempts, now i made some mistakes (not enough light at start, undecided what to grow in) and they got a bit stretched. 5 out if the 7 are fine now, but 2 are crap, going to keep them growing though just for the hell of it. Please tell me what you think!!

MONSTER!

Nochowderforyou
01-13-2006, 06:26 PM
As for brands of ferts, I don't know, but I can tell you what numbers you need to succeed :)

First, during the vegetative stage, the plants need something high in N (N-P-K). I use an organic fert for veg. as I feel it is a very important stage to a good harvest. I use 5-1-1 Fish Emulsion. Something very light for first feedings.

For flowering, you need something high in P. I use 15-30-15 during flowering, and during the last 4 weeks or so, I give it a bud swell fert that is 10-51-10.

Anything from Advanced Nutes is great, amazing fert.

And yes, a plant will double in size by the time it's done flowering...some triple in size. During the first 2-3 weeks of flowering, the plants tops stretch big time for the incoming buds.

Hope this helps, peace

greenmonster
01-13-2006, 06:58 PM
cheers for that. umm forgot something: the humidity in my growroom is always between 20-30% is this too low?? If so how on earth do i get it up to a better level without going crazy with a hose?

turtle420
01-13-2006, 07:10 PM
cheers for that. umm forgot something: the humidity in my growroom is always between 20-30% is this too low?? If so how on earth do i get it up to a better level without going crazy with a hose?
A humidifier might help.

Plants look good my friend. :) Keep up the great work ;)

-turtle420 :cool:

greenmonster
01-14-2006, 12:13 PM
ahhh yes should of thought of that really. But is it really nessisary? my plants look fine and are growing well, will higher humidity really make much difference and as i understand it, the lower the humidity during flowering the better? or am i talking out me ass here.

ok guys: how safe is it to post on this site? Im a little worried that some of these threads might cause me to get busted! now i see a lot of people put disclaimers on their threads. Does that actually make a difference legally in the off-chance the police come surfing? I really dont want to get busted (no-brainer that one) as im doing this to avoid the illegal drugs trade as where i come from all the dealers are shit and i am fed up of paying lots of money for small amounts of not that great weed! Also i want to keep posting with my progress as fair play this is a fun hobby!! I probably will fuck it up at some point too so im going to need expert advice somewhere along the line!!!!

cheers folks

keep it real!

turtle420
01-14-2006, 02:01 PM
As to the humidity levels, you should use the search on these forums, or check out some FAQs... I trully don't know. I'm newbing my way through this too.

As to you security concerns:
Forget about the disclaimers.... I mean, you have a disclaimer of how you grow tomato plants on your 4th wife's summer vacation home, but you post pictures of cannabis plants? C'mon! They're stupid, but not that... ok...

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the subject.
I'll post the link of a good-read thread over @ OverGrow.com, it was about your pictures, and the law, and how they couldn't use them pictures if you don't "declare" that they're yours. ??? Interesting...

Anyways, as to getting busted, I look at it this way:
If you post your name and address, it'll be so easy to pass along the information to local law enforcement that they'll bust you down....

But if you don't post information, they need to start investing time and energy on finding out who you are... and where. Thus, I see it as kind of a deterrent.

Third of my opinions: What are you growing? 10 plants in a closet? 15 plants in a room? Hmm... I think they'd be going for big MoFo grows... like 150 plants are some shit like that. Or people asking how they can connect a 45,000 kW diesel generator to their 40 grow lights.

Anyways, peace out friend.

If they're going to bust

greenmonster
01-14-2006, 02:46 PM
cheers.
i agree with what ur saying turtle. It isnt like im supplying the whole of the westside or anything, this is my hobby.
plants growing like nutters now, which is nice.
will put some more pics soon.
damn im going to enjoy smoking my own stuff so much!
its just the waiting that is killing me!!!! still ages to go too: grrrrr

Johnny Hempseed
01-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey m8...
Looks like you are off to a great start..and have already been given some good advice...

The stretch you will get is due to a couple factors..one is heat..the other is amount of light...
If you keep things cool enough the plants will not stretch..in that case the plants attempt to space out to allow air flow between the branches..
And if you give em lots of light they will remain a fair size...mine were flipped to 12/12 at about 10 inches..and they are now in wk 6 of flower and have not quite doubled in height..but they are heavy with bud and as you can see there is no stretching..that's because I keep em in a space about 2ft by 4ft..and give em 600 watts of HPS light!
As you can see I am also a user of Advance nutes..or rather..I selectively invest my money with them.. ;)
I use their flower enhancers (bud blood..big bud powder..liquid overdrive) but I use cheaper stuff for my base nutes because I am happy with the results I get..
I have a post in the advanced section here outlining products that I use..from start to finish..have a look and if you wanna try it I guarantee you will get better results than if you just buy a couple bottles of this and that..
It's not just about what you give em..but also when..
I have been growing Serious seeds Chronic and White Russian and have to say I am OVERJOYED with the WR...
The Chronic has been good..but not as good as the WR so I am going to grow JUST WR next time around in my home garden (I have 3 gardens I have franchised out to new gardeners..I give them materials..plants..and advice and they give me 1/3rd of each crop and we split the honey oil and baked goods produced with the stuff that isn't suitable for smoking)..
Remember this m8..if you go cheap you will lose on the scale at the end..so think of it as an investment..the more you invest the better your results will be...
Johnny
P.S. The first 2 shots are my moms..the next 2 are my nutes and temp and humidity level..and the rest are my crop..

Johnny Hempseed
01-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Here are the pics of the plants...
About 2 weeks from harvest...
First is my big WR cola..
The second is her sister..more of a bud bush than anything...
The rest are Chronic...

greenmonster
01-14-2006, 03:55 PM
cheers jonny.
i want to look at ur thread but i cant find it, whats the address?

turtle420
01-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey Johnny, thanks for that man. I also have Serious Seeds White Russian. Haven't dropped seeds yet... I'm growing White Widow now. Great to see that you say that she's a very good plant :)

greenmonster
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
ummm an update. things seem to be going well. do these plants -in general- look ok people?

wish they would grow upwards a bit more, it seems like they will never get there!!!

turtle420
01-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Dude, they look super!

Why do you want them to grow up? Be careful what you wish for... you might end up with xMas trees!

greenmonster
01-15-2006, 06:25 PM
hehe,
weed shortage where i live! not good smoking some bush weed filled with seeds, want serious skunk of some sort! Even better if i grew it! as soon as the majority of them hit 25cm tall they r going 12/12. They are bigbud x northern lights, anyone tried this strain? got the seeds from nirvana in holland.
GROW MY BEAUTIES GROW!
might chuck all these bush seeds in a field or something in the spring, or in a hedgerow just for a laugh. see how big they get before someone steals or burns them!

greenmonster
01-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Ruck 5 inch Fan/Filter Combo (inc. ducting)
thinking of getting one of these things. do they do a good job of shifting air and masking smells? my space is roughly 2ft x 4ft x 7ft(tall).
cheers

Nochowderforyou
01-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Be glad they are small now because once they hit flowering, things won't be.

You want tight internode spacing in your plants anyways. During this stage, it is very common for the plants internodes to be tight and not spaced out, a very common trend. Once the plant hits 12/12, they will stretch, so don't worry :) During the first 2-3 weeks of 12/12, the top will stretch upwards. I've had my WW's stretch for weeks, growing as much as 3/4inch in one night!

The stretching will come. Your plants look supurb. Keep up the nice work! :thumbsup:

greenmonster
01-17-2006, 01:04 PM
here is an update: it is their 5th birthday today (weeks) and they are all looking good and strong. im happy.

6 of them are roughly the same height but the one of the is nearly half as tall again, do u think it would be worthwhile topping the biggy so he slows down a bit or im going to end up with 6 plants and one cannabis tree!?

i have been feeding them with a 10-5-2 feed so far but im going to mix that in with some phostrogen 14-10-27 to balance them out. fed one of them with the phostrogen last night as a tester and it didnt seem to mind. have some doc horneys big bud on way for late flowering.

Im thinking of putting them to 12-12 this weekend (in 5 days), do u think they will be ok or should i leave it a few days more. They (today) range from 6 inches tall to 10 inches tall and at current rate they will all have grown at least 2 inches more by weekend. Big enough?

cheers again guys!

greenmonster
01-17-2006, 01:10 PM
always forget something: my pots r 20cm across and 20cm deep. Do u think i will need to get some bigger pots as i can see roots coming out of bottoms of pots already.. Only went in these pots 10 days ago! Or will i be ok if i keep the food coming and them nicely moist?
these 7 pots cost me £20 i couldnt believe it the cheeky fuckers, £20 for some plant pots!
im not a tight ass but if i need bigger ones then they are going to cost me even more and it just feels like im getting ripped off!
cheers folks
greeny

BukDatAss
01-17-2006, 03:26 PM
I once heard for every foot of plant per gal of pot. ex.... 3 ft plant 3gal pot etc..... u must think about them 2x in size after flowering. So u said in five days u will induce flowering so just do the estimate on the size see what size they are now then double that size. With that u should know what size pots u need or already have. :thumbsup: As for the topping do it now while ur still in the VEG stage and have a few days left in that stage. Cause I did 3 a week before flowering and I had great results :thumbsup: So I did another 1 a week after flowering and not the same results so just something to think about :dance:

greenmonster
01-21-2006, 06:32 PM
hi
r these spots caused by a lack of manganese? whats that then?

my thinking behind these spots with my very limited knowledge is that they are caused by the fact that the water i have been using is 6 -6.2 as i wrongly thought that it was the correct level. what does the clan think? also how to i reverse this?

For soil i should be nearer 6.8?

please help guys as i need to knock this on head right now!

greenmonster
01-24-2006, 02:05 PM
howdy!

here r some updates of my babies! they were put onto flowering on saturday and have been stretching ever-since!

having trouble telling if male or female so far- guess i just have to wait till they show some more but they are being shy! hopefully women then!!!! :D

on the one pic i have circled what i believe to be male pre-flowers! am i right?

all these plants r 6 weeks from the day i took the seed out the packet. they are bigbud x northern lights: anyone smoked/grew this? is it nice?

also look up a thread, if u know what them spots r please tell me as its worrying me. Its starting to appear on a couple of the other plants! ace.

would you say they look ok for a newbie? damn im sick of paying out loads of cash for weed when im sure my homegrown is going to be every bit as good!

monster!

turtle420
01-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Green, what up? :)

Nice plants dude... About the male, I trully have no idea. I see the little things in the secondaries/stem, but no idea... ???

As to paying out cash for weed, when you're getting your homegrown... DAMN RIIIIGHT!!!!

Dude, that's my #1 reason for growing... Right On dude, Right On....

mrabrego
01-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Keep up the good work, :thumbsup:

BkSkillz
01-25-2006, 01:09 AM
i think your doing a hell of a job verynice setup so far as for those patchs on the leaves it doesnt look at that bad my original grow had similiar results due to poor soil and ph regulation bu fix that ph issue to anywhere between 6.5 and 7 and you'r fine consider lsting thats my word of the month after such great results in my limited room also u could try relecting light fromthe bottom or that table there sitting on to something nice an dull white or some cheap tinfoil the dull side that tables obsorbing as much light as the plants are best of luck great grow so far

greenmonster
01-25-2006, 01:36 AM
good idea BK.
its not a table though: they are sat in a hydro tank. I was going to 'go-hydro' but then i thought i should try walking before running etc, as when i started i had no idea what i was doing. Learning bit by bit.

going to cover the tank in silver foil tomorrow, maybe paper.

think 2 r males so far but the biggest two r def female. sweet.

greenmonster
01-27-2006, 02:08 PM
hey all.
bit of an update for ya:
sexed the little buggers now and only 2 males out of 7 so that is good. Was still difficult to cut them down though, had to force myself to do it knowing that it would be stupid to leave them up. as this is my first proper grow (have done a couple of greenhouse grows before but never got amazing results) i am taking photos of everything!

my mystery problem is getting worse slowly. I am now using water with a ph of roughly 6.8-7 to try and not get nuet lockout but it seems like i am still getting it. The tops of the plants are looking fine but i am worried now that it doesnt seem to be getting any better and a few spots r appearing on the next set of leaves up and the bottom leaves r pretty much dead! please guys, grower on knees here: what is it!? and how do i sort it out before it kills my plants!!?

here r soome pics anyway
greeny

BkSkillz
01-27-2006, 07:31 PM
its not only the water that has to be ph'd first u need a ph tester there cheap about 12 bucks ata hydroshop and test the soil dependent on how the soils damp ph level is then u can begin correcting the ph inbalance by subsadizing the water ph to regulate the soil ph example if soil ph is 7.5 then u need a water ph that'll counter that about .5 to 1.0 therefore u would need a water ph of -.5 or -1.0 (accidic) hope that helps

greenmonster
01-31-2006, 06:08 PM
hey folks.
some new photos for you, taken just now. day 10-11 of budding and they keep growing up and up. tallest is 24 inches now, was 12 inches 10 days ago: madness!

they are starting to get hairy which is nice and the room they are in has a very pleasent aroma to it!! sweet!

BukDatAss
02-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Thats what I'm growing nice job:dance: :thumbsup:

greenmonster
02-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
here it comes!!!

BukDatAss
02-08-2006, 08:05 AM
So what week are you in flower.... I have the same NLxBB but not from Nirvana but I love them their the Sheet... Plants are lookin very nice, If you wanna see my NLxBB just check out my thread its in the INdoor the name is

MY SET UP 1ST TRY---> check it out u should get an idea of how urs will be lookin at week 6 of flowering? The best is yet to come

greenmonster
02-08-2006, 12:49 PM
cheers Buk i will have a look at your thread. the last pics were taken after -roughly- 16 days of flowering. i will put some more photos on soon as they are all looking good. Trics starting to appear!
laters all

turtle420
02-08-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm glad for you greemonster...

greenmonster
02-08-2006, 05:19 PM
thank turtle. you will get there too man just keep at it! sounds like ur not having too much luck. i have fingures crossed for u as u seem a top dollar bloke!!

greenmonster
02-10-2006, 06:23 PM
hey all,
here are my bigbud x northen lights at 3 weeks of budding.
Can anyone see anything i should be worried about on the photos? this is my first time grow and im pretty sure they are fine but if anyone has any good ideas for shit (not literally) that will improve my crop then im all ears!

most of the plants are nearly 3 foot tall but one is a stumpy and is only about foot and a half; no idea why as it has had exactly the same routine as the rest. they all have loads of small buds forming on them and average 7/8 growing tips each (90% above lower canopy).

some of my lower leaves are dying but this is normal right?? not much light down below but not much bud either so i aint too worried!

anyway hope u like um!
damn this wating bit is hard: another month urrrrrrrrr. hope i dont pick at them too much in the meantime! hehe
laters

BukDatAss
02-10-2006, 06:36 PM
WooW they look very nice and healthy.. so how many plants do you have? What ever happened to the one you thought had male pods on it?
what kind of light are you using? Job well done

greenmonster
02-10-2006, 06:51 PM
hey dude, i have 5 plants in a space -roughly- 60cm-130cm(wide)-210 tall. i have a 400 watt hps with a growlux buld. just put a 4inch extractor fan with carbon filter in and it keeps it roughly the right temp in room, no smell at all while fan is on too which is good.
am having a little problem with my temp at times though: the other day i managed to bust the radiator in the room and now it leaks a little and i cant adjust the settings so its turned off. thing is that the pipes go through my cupboard and the rad is on wall next to it. I cant call a plummer for obvious reasons and i keep getting temps as high as 31-32c during the nights-annoying. but what can i do but open the doors once in a while? i know that doesnt sound too bad but im paranoid as the groundsman where i live is ex CID (detective) and i dont want him to see the glow from the light. hmmmm arse!

greenmonster
02-10-2006, 06:52 PM
as for the males: they got the chop as soon as i was sure. DOnt seem to have any hermies, hope i can keep it that way!

BukDatAss
02-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Sounds all good execpt for that Detective:(

greenmonster
02-14-2006, 07:17 PM
ahhhhhh

Harvesthetic
02-14-2006, 08:28 PM
yeah! kudos! when such a pic appears in a grow log, that's a succesfull grow! our plants look very much alike, have you noticed? enjoy bro, that's a bit better than a couple not very succesfull greenhouse grows, right? Kill the males! :)

BukDatAss
02-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Nice everythings lookin they it should be

greenmonster
02-16-2006, 12:54 PM
hi all.
is anyone finding that their plants all mature and grow at different speeds? I have 5 plants and they are all developing at different rates. One is at leat a week ahead of all the others, where as one of them is hapf the size of the rest. As far as i can tell i have treated all of them the same (light, nutes, water etc) yet there is stark contrast between the plants (yet they all are ok so it aint a biggy).
anyone know if their is a link between when a plant stops growing upwards and starts to produce resin?

greenmonster
02-19-2006, 05:24 PM
hey....
all seems to be going well for my plants (cheers anyone who has helped me) but it seems like they are lacking 'N' as some of the fan leaves are turning yellow. Is this normal behaviour for a plant during budding or should i feed um up on 'N'? on the one pic i have put on below u can see the yellowing. Otherwise they are fine and sticky, sparkiling goodness is popping up everywhere!!
:D :stoned:

greenmonster
02-19-2006, 05:27 PM
oh yeah the light makes them look more yellow than they are.

BukDatAss
02-19-2006, 07:30 PM
They look Damn good to me.. I mean you can add a slight bit if you want to I guess but dont over do it because their looking they way they should be

greenmonster
02-24-2006, 12:20 AM
damn this waiting bit is getting hard now.
getting closer.:)