PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd and other bands

HannabisTheCannabis
01-13-2006, 01:15 PM
i'm a huge floyd fan.... it's sad that there are no longer any true musicians... what happen to a group of dude's and some betty's renting a cottage in the mountains and stocking it full of drugs and alcohol... getting all their music equipment there.... coming out of it 6months later with a new album?????

now it's all just fucking fake bullshit that is made up in sum record executive's office... they find a pretty face to sell it...... that's not music i don't give a flying flip what anybody says....

i'm flippin glad for the nautella network, and sirius radio they bring'em back and let me listen to sum good music...

HTC

budsbuddy
01-14-2006, 03:10 AM
I got abut 220 gigs from Alice Cooper to ZZ Top
I like older stuff too

DonnieDarko
01-14-2006, 02:07 PM
I guess that we're getting OLD !!! We were spoiled, with hundreds of great bands, many more concerts. Nobody got rich, but everybody got stoned.

My first concert was Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare. I saw Aerosmith every summer in mid-70's, $4.50 general admission. Even "less popular" bands like Mott the Hoople, James Gang, and Steppenwolf (I could go on and on and on) were great in concert. Real fuckin music.

This will never happen again. We'll be 90 years old, and still talkin about music of the 70's. I feel sorry for the current generation not to have had our experiences.

Breukelen advocaat
01-14-2006, 02:33 PM
EVERY generation thinks that the music of their youth was/is the "best". They are emotionally attached to it; It's the soundtrack of their lives.

Personally, I think that the best decade for music, literature, and art in America (and the West in general), was the 1920's: the "Jazz" age, "Roaring Twenties", etc. Motion pictures were coming into their own as an art, blues musicians that were born in the 1800's were cutting records and Louis Armstrong was creating the first and only true American art form: Jazz.

Airplanes were a new thing, as was the radio, and automobiles were common.

Fortunatly, unlike previous generations that passed, we can experience quite a bit of the nineteen twenties' sounds and visions. There are even some good examples of recorded music and speech, films and photos, prior to the 1920's. Even today, 78 RPM records by Caruso are easy to find i n thrift shops and yard sales - and not expensive, either.

I'm not saying that culture began and started in the 20's, but it certainly was a revloutionary decade scientifically, culturally, and in other ways. The popularity of the automobile alone was responsible for a sexual revolution, in the 20's, that the 1960's usually gets all the credit (or blame) for.

I used to have a picture of my maternal grandmother (1901-1997), as a teenager, circa 1918, sitting on a motorcycle complete with the correct biker clothing of the times. Unfortunatly, this priceless photo is lost.

HannabisTheCannabis
01-14-2006, 05:21 PM
you might have a point there about the 20's brooklyn... but yu fogot the most important thing about the 20's... " Marijuana Was Legal"....... except i don't think the people utilized it like we would have.....

i think the industrial revolution would of been a much more exciting time period.. they were actually inventing things that weren't even dreamed of.. now everything just seems to be refinement of those early days..

HTC

HannabisTheCannabis
01-14-2006, 05:24 PM
I guess that we're getting OLD !!! We were spoiled, with hundreds of great bands, many more concerts. Nobody got rich, but everybody got stoned.

My first concert was Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare. I saw Aerosmith every summer in mid-70's, $4.50 general admission. Even "less popular" bands like Mott the Hoople, James Gang, and Steppenwolf (I could go on and on and on) were great in concert. Real fuckin music.

This will never happen again. We'll be 90 years old, and still talkin about music of the 70's. I feel sorry for the current generation not to have had our experiences.

do groups even have concerts anymore?????? yeah i guess they do,,, i think with the advent f the internet people have become more intraverted... thus making events like concerts less appealing....

HTC

Breukelen advocaat
01-14-2006, 05:53 PM
you might have a point there about the 20's brooklyn... but yu fogot the most important thing about the 20's... " Marijuana Was Legal"....... except i don't think the people utilized it like we would have.....i think the industrial revolution would of been a much more exciting time period.. they were actually inventing things that weren't even dreamed of.. now everything just seems to be refinement of those early days..HTC
Of course, the 20's wouldn't have been possible without the Industrial Revolution. I often remind people that eveything new that we have today, especially for communication, such as computers, cable TV, etc., wouldn't have been possible without people like T. Edison, A.G. Bell, S. Morse, etc.

I did think of including potsmoking in the 20's, after I hit the "submit" button.

Many did it, and Louis Armstrong smoked every day. He (and others) even did songs about it, including his "Muggles", which was another name for our favorite plant. You can find MP3's of "reefer" songs, one of the better ones being "Save the Roach for Me", from the 30's. We don't have anything on those generations when it comes to having fun. Now, New Orleans, where Armstrong was born, is probably in the worst shape that it's been in history.

You just can't beat the artists of the 20's - Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, journalist/writers like Mencken, musicians like "Pops" Armstrong, the greatest Broadway shows (which are still being revived), greatest songwriters like Porter, Berlin, and many others that continued beyond the 20's decade. Look at the animated films (cartoons) from the 20's and 30's: if that stuff wasn't "drug" influenced, especially Walt Disney and the Fleisher Brothers (Betty Boop, Popey, etc.), then I don't know what was. Even it it wasn't influenced by drugs, it was great. Some of this stuff beats any "modern" psychedelic art hands down, IMHO.

There's just no comparison: If I had the choice, I would have preferred to live then - these times suck in comparison. Their weed may not have been as strong as ours, but they were better off in life, and happier - which is the main point of life. The women looked great - they knew how to dress and act, to make themselves very attractive. These people had "class", and style, which are things that are no longer in vogue today.

Well, at least SOMEBODY got it right, lol.

HannabisTheCannabis
01-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Of course, the 20's wouldn't have been possible without the Industrial Revolution. I often remind people that eveything new that we have today, especially for communication, such as computers, cable TV, etc., wouldn't have been possible without people like T. Edison, A.G. Bell, S. Morse, etc.

I did think of including potsmoking in the 20's, after I hit the "submit" button.

Many did it, and Louis Armstrong smoked every day. He (and others) even did songs about it, including his "Muggles", which was another name for our favorite plant. You can find MP3's of "reefer" songs, one of the better ones being "Save the Roach for Me", from the 30's. We don't have anything on those generations when it comes to having fun. Now, New Orleans, where Armstrong was born, is probably in the worst shape that it's been in history.

You just can't beat the artists of the 20's - Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, journalist/writers like Mencken, musicians like "Pops" Armstrong, the greatest Broadway shows (which are still being revived), greatest songwriters like Porter, Berlin, and many others that continued beyond the 20's decade. Look at the animated films (cartoons) from the 20's and 30's: if that stuff wasn't "drug" influenced, especially Walt Disney and the Fleisher Brothers (Betty Boop, Popey, etc.), then I don't know what was. Even it it wasn't influenced by drugs, it was great. Some of this stuff beats any "modern" psychedelic art hands down, IMHO.

There's just no comparison: If I had the choice, I would have preferred to live then - these times suck in comparison. Their weed may not have been as strong as ours, but they were better off in life, and happier - which is the main point of life. The women looked great - they knew how to dress and act, to make themselves very attractive. These people had "class", and style, which are things that are no longer in vogue today.

Well, at least SOMEBODY got it right, lol.

yeah i agree there was that art deco thing going on, and the women were classy... except not everybody had indoor plumbing back then, so the women might of had a little BO..... and i don't think they shaved like they do today.. we are so sophisticated today, but it seems like we sacraficed so much to have it.. everybody is so stressed out about everything today, (me included).. it's hard not to get caught up in the rat race. back then it was farm houses, big families, and homemade everything..... i guess if you were so inclined you could live your life today like it was 1925, and you could pick and choose what modern thing you want in your life... have the best of both worlds....

HTC

Breukelen advocaat
01-14-2006, 11:41 PM
yeah i agree there was that art deco thing going on, and the women were classy... except not everybody had indoor plumbing back then, so the women might of had a little BO..... and i don't think they shaved like they do today.. we are so sophisticated today, but it seems like we sacraficed so much to have it.. everybody is so stressed out about everything today, (me included).. it's hard not to get caught up in the rat race. back then it was farm houses, big families, and homemade everything..... i guess if you were so inclined you could live your life today like it was 1925, and you could pick and choose what modern thing you want in your life... have the best of both worlds.... HTC

Well, to be honest, I'd forgo the "farm houses, big families, and homemade everything". Back then, pre-crash Wall Street, not "Green Acres", was the place to be. That being said, listening to the Carter Family, Jimmy Rogers, and other "country" artists from that era makes me wish for a taste of their culture, also. It must have been a spine-chilling experience to hear, in person, the great bluesman Blind Willie Johnson playing slide-guitar and singing in the streets. There will never be anyone like those artists again.- and there were LOTS of them.

If it really were possible to go back 80 yeas in time, I'd take Manhattan (Fifth Avenue, Harlem, Greenwich Village, the best hotels, etc.), Chicago, other great American cities, cruises on the finest ships, Paris with the "Lost Generation", pre-War Berlin, London, Amsterdam, other great cities both here and elsewhere, the best museums, art-house movies and, of course, the sophisticated ladies of the world.

Back in the real world, a middle-aged city person of today like myself can be content and happy just with what we have. You can take cruises on Carnival and Holland America, travel by jet, go to Broadway shows, jazz clubs, etc., without too much trouble. It's not as grand as the old days, but it's fun to do, anyway. The post-Sept. 11 world sort of slowed my wife and I down a bit, like many others, but we started traveling on planes again, just last year.

HannabisTheCannabis
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
here's an idea for you.... could feel like a little bit of a time warp..... take your wife on a zepplen ride..... i own a property at an airport and i see them come in and out all the time... although they will have the modern conveniences, but i might be very nostalgic... and of course you should get stoned before you go up....

HTC