PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance

hempstar
01-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I received a $250 speeding ticket last summer..I had until november to pay it..I did not pay the ticket. My license got suspended. ..But early this morning I received a phonecall from the insurance company telling me that I have been kicked off the insurance for getting my license suspended. I have 2 speeding tickets on my record(1 the day i got my license)..1 car accident(Hit a ice patch and went into a ditch) it was just my vehicle so it is classified as a "single vehicle collision"...With these against me my insurance company classifies me as high risk. Now they have booted me off just for getting my license suspended for a unpaid speeding ticket and i Have no insurance company. Now the only way for me to get insurance is to purchase my own vehicle and get it insured in my name and pay up the ass on insurance. Anybody know any loopholes or any way to screw the system and get me put back on my rents insurance?

crankyass
01-09-2006, 02:03 AM
I'm not sure what state you live in - that kind of matters - each state has it's own regulations.

I work for an insurance company in NJ, so I can only speak with regards to NJ. If you're in NJ, I hate to say it but you're kind of screwed.

The good old days of "loopholes" are kind of over. That is courtesy of technology. Most insurance companies have fraud investigators working in their underwriting departments and have access to some pretty amazing databases. And it is their ability to work with these databases is how they catch people.

The penalties if you are nailed doing it are pretty serious - there is a lot of media attention nationwide given to insurance fraud & each state is taking it pretty seriously. You won't get jail time in NJ on a first offense, but I believe the fine is about $5000.

If your parents are willing to try & keep you on their policy, then they should try and seek out a broker that has access to different companies and see if there is one that will write them a policy. Still, it sounds like the premiums are going to be pretty high.

Good luck.