PDA

View Full Version : question about forcing flowering

woaaahh
12-30-2005, 10:05 PM
I am a first time grower and am confused about how you force the plant to flower to determine their sex. All help is appreciated.

:rasta:

Herbus
12-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Ok here is what you do. Take at least one cutting of each plant (keep a marked with each cutting so you will remember which came from which plant). Place each of these cuttings in some rockwool or vermiculight or whatever grow medium you are using. Then give these cuttings a 10 hours daylight cycle. Water them as needed. They should begin to show sex in a couple of weeks.

Herbus

Nochowderforyou
12-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Ok here is what you do. Take at least one cutting of each plant (keep a marked with each cutting so you will remember which came from which plant). Place each of these cuttings in some rockwool or vermiculight or whatever grow medium you are using. Then give these cuttings a 10 hours daylight cycle. Water them as needed. They should begin to show sex in a couple of weeks.

Herbus

That's the way. :) Or let the plant veg. for a few months and let the pre-hairs show and tell you.

Nochowderforyou
12-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Oh ya, and if you want to force flowering, simply put the plant light cycle on 12hr on/12hr off period, and it will show you within 2-3weeks.

woaaahh
12-30-2005, 10:30 PM
so, basically, what you're saying is that if I do a 12/12 hr. light cycle the plants will start to flower, and in a while I'll be able to tell if they are male/female? And if they are female do I keep the same light cycle through flowering? Thanks guys! Oh, and by the way nochowderforyou, I saw your thread from a while back with your midget plants, that was great. Keep up the good work.

Herbus
12-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi Again,

What I explained above is called cloning for sex. This is done independently of the plants you are currently vegging. You want to take a cutting of each plant and then put just the cuttings on a 10 / 14 or 12 / 12 (both work 10/14 is slightly faster) light cycle. You will leave the plants you've taken the cuttings from in your grow room where they are now at 18/6 or what ever light cycle you've got em at now. Now you can also do what nochow recommends which is to leave them be and wait for the preflowers to show. Just a matter of timing and what you want to do. Just wanted to make sure this was clear.

Herbus

harmonicminor
12-31-2005, 02:14 AM
once I had a little extra nute water from my flowering room that I gave some plants that were in veg 24/0 and they showed preflowers from it within a few days. but they were also pretty mature like 15 inches high and bushy

Nochowderforyou
12-31-2005, 02:37 AM
so, basically, what you're saying is that if I do a 12/12 hr. light cycle the plants will start to flower, and in a while I'll be able to tell if they are male/female?.

Yes, pretty much. Give it 2-3 weeks into flowering before the final vote. Stretching will be normal for the first week or two, and the plants size at the end of veg., byt the time it is done flowering, it will have doubled, some triple in size, by the time harvest comes. So if you were to flower a plant when it is 10inches tall, finishing height will be approx. 20-30inches.

And if they are female do I keep the same light cycle through flowering? Thanks guys! Oh, and by the way nochowderforyou, I saw your thread from a while back with your midget plants, that was great. Keep up the good work.

Yes, if it is female, you use the 12/12 cycle all the way until harvest time.

And thanks for the compliment. I just made a new post today about my newest herb. Click the link:

http://boards.cannabis.com/showthread.php?t=46041

Peace