PDA

View Full Version : THC extraction

sheist
12-09-2005, 03:57 AM
anybody know how to extract THC from the plant besides the Everclear method??

Zandor
12-09-2005, 05:59 PM
water hash.

fhydro
12-10-2005, 11:53 AM
I made hash yesturday with ice cubes in a blender with simple filters ( not the bubbles ones ). I've got now some 6 grams aprox ( when dry ) of a green glistening mixture. Still containing water, so i can't taste or try it, but good thing to do, very interesting. But it should not be green, no ?
Fhydro

harmonicminor
12-11-2005, 03:10 AM
do a search for how to make Delta 9. It is about 100 times as potent as pure THC and not very hard to make at all. Other than that the butane method can pull nice tasty white oil from good bud. but if you want the cleanest stuff stick with the everclear.

kongo
12-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Is everclear Budder also?If so i dont think you can get much better clean crisp kick ur ass high >N I C E!

sheist
12-12-2005, 01:13 PM
so i'm hearing correctly... that the delta 9 is 100x as potent... the butane is pretty good,... but overall the everclear gives the cleanest results?

lemonboy
12-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Everclear produces a runnier product that isn't going to taste as nice as butane hash because all the alcohol wont evaporate. I don't understand how that would be better than butane which will evaporate completely in <20 minutes.

savethebud
12-12-2005, 05:59 PM
bubble hash is great

NewYorkDiesel
12-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Umm butane ghetto hash i heard it called in hash it sounded funny at the time,.. overgrow.com had a article on the method where u boilit in a double boiler,... with rubbing alchohol,.. and think thats about it it has some pictures as well,.. calikindbud rocks peace Cali

harmonicminor
12-13-2005, 04:01 AM
everclear is drinkable in the first place. dont ya think maybe a little butane could be trapped in the oil just as easy as everclear? sometimes theres other additives in butane as well. I did however extract some white thc with butane though.

sheist
12-14-2005, 07:48 AM
despite the differences... how thick was the oil when produced?

harmonicminor
12-15-2005, 05:20 AM
this is the butane extract. white and almost pure thc and the most tasty I have ever had

sheist
12-15-2005, 10:05 AM
wtf exactly am i lookin at here?

harmonicminor
12-15-2005, 02:26 PM
almost pure thc extracted with butane from about an eighth of bud. took about 15 minutes to make.
used a m+m container as the extractor

sheist
12-16-2005, 01:45 AM
where can i find this method?

harmonicminor
12-16-2005, 04:43 AM
just do a search for butane extraction method or something. just remember never do it inside or near any spark or flame. instead of copper or pvc I used an empty m+m's plastic container and drilled several small holes in the bottom and 1 small one on the top. the top hole must be big enough for the very tip of a butane nozzle to fit in and small enough to not let the wider part of the nozzle through. the collecting dish is a small pyrex bowl.
the thing about the butane method is that it is very selective of what it pulls out of the plant matter. only the non freezable thc oil. it is called a supercritical fluid extraction.
also remember to evaporate some straight butane first to see if it leaves any residue upon evaporation and if it does do not use it because it most likely contains carcinogenic additives

sheist
12-16-2005, 08:21 PM
kk....

i did the rubbing alcohol method..

let 2grams of good outdoor, 2grams of stems, and .5 grams of keef, all sit in a cup, covered with 70% rubbing alcohol. Next day, i stirred it, squeezed it, stirred it with lyk 30min repetitions, on and off... then i strained it, poured it into a wide plastic bowl and set it next to a heater.. in a few hours, I took 2grams of good outdoor.. and put a teaspoon full of the juice and let it sit on top of the heater.. every 15-30min i did this... til most the juice was gone.. when it completely dried out, it smelled kinda like coffee...

i rolled it into a blunt n smoked it with a friend... we got blazed as FUCK!

harmonicminor
12-16-2005, 11:14 PM
sweet I have made some with alcohol that is kickass also.
try getting at least the 90% alcohol because it pulls more plant essense faster and will evaporate waaaay faster because of less water content. I think I use 99% usually. I also use cold alcohol and only submerge plant matter 2 minutes or so and im left with a cleaner product "Golden".

sheist
12-17-2005, 04:03 AM
word.... does it really matter whether i use rubbing or drinking alcohol, if the percentages are the same??

Dimpala
12-17-2005, 05:01 AM
word.... does it really matter whether i use rubbing or drinking alcohol, if the percentages are the same??
What alcohol is 198 proof?
thats what you would need to get 99% alcohol.

harmonicminor
12-17-2005, 06:07 AM
everclear is the highest sold I know of
but you can make it with a still also

sheist
12-17-2005, 10:35 PM
i've heard the same.. and that runs at 90% alcohol... they also sell 90% rubbing alcohol.. so back to my question.. does it really matter if i use drinking alcohol over rubbing or vice versa??

harmonicminor
12-18-2005, 02:17 AM
just get pharm grade iso alcohol from the drug store. thats some the cleanest you can get over the counter. then as longs as you arent drinking it and you evaporate it all the way you are safe.
heres a little evaporation trick I use that will keep you from blowing up the house or something .....
take an old coffee maker and take the top part off so you are left with the burner with the on switch. use a pyrex dish on the burner with your goodies in that. get a bathroom exaust fan at home depot with some exaust tubing. place the fan above or by your dish and run the exaust out the window.
takes about 3 hours start to finish this way and you wont be breathing the fumes or burning the house down

harmonicminor
12-18-2005, 02:23 AM
I have also built one that was totally contained in a bucket that I used for Salvia extractions with Acetone. this one I cut 2 holes in the lid for some 2 1/2" pvc pieces to fit in and hooked the exaust tubing to one but had the fan on the inlet side so there was no risk of spark from the electric motor setting off any built up Acetone or fumes.

sheist
12-18-2005, 07:48 AM
wat happens if u use acetone to extract??

harmonicminor
12-18-2005, 02:48 PM
I usually use it for Salvia but I hear it works for mj too and that it is more selective in what it pulls out " no oils or fats". It will evaporate a lot faster than alcohol but you have to make sure it is all gone and there is no acetone smell either. also you should evaporate an amount in a dish to see if it leaves residue. If it does dont use it.
but to tell you the truth I have great results with iso alcohol and when it is almost evaporated I put in a small amount of powdered weed to soak in the oils. makes it like commercial hash but fresher and you know what is in it. I hear some commercial hash made in other countries contains and amount of banana peels and camel dung for wieght. yuck fuck that I'll make my own thank you

Johnny Hempseed
01-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Iso oil strips the glands from all the vegetative material (bud..leaf..small stem) but it also strips waxes, chlorophyl and other things from your pot..thus the green colour and the fact that it smokes like roofing tar and tastes like ass...
I make butane honey oil on a monthly basis..and I plan to make a few vials in a couple of weeks..I'll bring the camera along..
We had some tested by Advanced nutrients (for med use) and it was 75%THC..
Generally..even with the worst pot I can scrape up..it still comes out potent enough for 2 drops on a cigarette to give you a good hum...

harmonicminor
01-05-2006, 06:50 AM
If you do a fast and cold extraction with iso alcohol on nice crystally buds you can get nice golden oil that smoke just as nice as the butane method. a little safer and cheaper but takes a lot longer

vaporhead1
01-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Petroleum ether. Much better for extraction, but, from where I am, much harder to get ahold of, cause it's on the list of "banned" chemicals [obviously used for meth production].

harmonicminor
01-19-2006, 02:43 PM
did I say synth???
no I was talking about natural isomerization with acids

SneakerPimp
01-19-2006, 11:48 PM
use absinthe, that would be a trip.....

harmonicminor
01-20-2006, 07:21 AM
they do have that synthetic thc though but that is 100 times as potent as Delta 9. But Delta 9 is 100 times as potent as thc and is easily made at home if you have a separatory funnel

harmonicminor
01-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Sneakerpimp,
Are you talking about extract of wormwood? It has thujone in it. I have made it before but it was oily and bitter and the smoke was kinda heavy on the lungs. no noticable buzz either

SprtNVolcoM00
02-01-2006, 06:38 AM
You all are talking some crazy talk - very interetsing though, I have to say. I usually just make a tincture using 190pf EC along with some nice crytaly greens. Nothing spectaular, but fun just the same. A couple drops under the toung and you got yourself I nice head change.

I'm considering the butan method though ... sound very interesting. Anyone given the thought to methonal (ethyl alcohol) I believe its 200pf (pure alcohol - moonshine so to speak, just pharm grade).

For those of you who cant get regular alcohol about 75.5% (151pf), here is a drying method to rid the "wet" protions in the alcohol; making it 200pf:

Incase you wanted to make your own 200 Proof grain alcohol, here you go. These are directions on how to "dry" 750ml of "wet" 151 proof alcohol (either Baccardi or EverClear):

If you want to use "wet" alcohol, you just have to dry it out first. Get a desiccant like MgSO4 (common epsom salt). Dry it at 400'F for at least 4-6 hours and put it in a few coffee filters. Then slowly pour your alcohol over it while it's in a funnel. The salts catch the water and the dehydrated alcohol runs through. It's a sinch.

750ml of 151pf alcohol (75.5%) will yield 566.3ml of absolute, dehydrated alcohol (200pf). That means 183.7ml H2O must be removed. Each mole of MgSO4 can hold 7 moles of water, which corresponds to slightly over it's molecular weight or 105% it's weight in water (assuming it is totally dry) so roughly 175g of dried salts. I'd use about 300g though because it makes it much easier when you don't have to achieve 100% efficiency, that would get slow toward the end. You have to make a drying tube like I instructed you (a big funnel) and pour the alcohol in 2 equal portions over ~150g of salt each. Unless you have an enormous funnel, I'd just do 100ml alcohol at a time and then recharge the system with new filters and salt before the next round. The surface of the salts will get hard as it collects water. Occasionally you may need to break up the salts and mix them around in the funnel (about 4 coffee filters being used). Just don't puncture the paper when you do this.

Works well, I've done it several times. You just have to watch out for the finer particals of epsom, They get through the coffee filter. for that you'll need a whatman filter # 40 and/or up. You can find those at:

http://www.whatman.com/products/?pageID=7.25.5.11

Anyway ... just thought I would share. You all got some good ideas here. Cant wait to try yours. Thanks ...

perthkiwi
02-07-2006, 08:13 AM
try this.

1. get your weed [the more the better]
2 get iso 1to 2 liters
3.i stainless bowl [metal]
4. electric fry pan

1 tie the plant material up ito balls [big enough to cover with iso]
2 place iso into bowl soke plant material 5minutes squees all the goodies out
3 get elec fry pnn put water in bottom [keep water in fry pan at all times]
place bowl infry pan and watch the iso evaporate when done right you are left with some mean shit

peace....pot....patience

rodekyll
02-10-2006, 03:15 AM
evaporating 2 litres of alcohol is going to be a smelly, fume-y business, and it's going to take a lot of time and babysitting. You can get some really good results with 8 oz of alcohol if you use an extractor, and you can recover almost all of it for next time. It's about odorless, and separating the goodness from the solvent takes just a few minutes. :)

sheist
02-11-2006, 03:34 PM
elaborate

smoknjoe
02-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Hey,

Im doin my first grow and want to extract from the trimmings. I read this easy/cheap way to do it. Please tell me what you guys think:

Place trimmings into a blender and create a fine powder.
Mix with cold acetone and shake vigoursouly.
Strain, and repeat.
Let evaporate.

Is this gonna work? Seems too easy.

thanks, joe.

rodekyll
02-12-2006, 05:00 AM
elaborate? There's a lot of folks with good ideas here . .. who did you want to elaborate, and on what?

ICEToker
02-25-2006, 11:52 PM
everclear is unnecessarily expensive...just use isopropal, 91% at about 1/10 of the the cost...try a very short soak, say 2 minutes max and filter thru 2 layers of coffee filters, then evaporate the iso on a coffee warmer...

sheist
02-26-2006, 02:14 AM
i believen u kno who, being as how u felt compelled to reply.. =) now elaborate

harmonicminor
02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
heres how to safely evaporate alcohol......
I have a fart fan exausting outside through a skylight but you can use a window too :-). I used a coffee maker heater so there is no spark but thats ok with the fan exausting the fumes I dont have to worry. I also had a version that was contained completely in a bucket that I cut holes in the lid for intake and exaust of air. I used the fan on the intake side so the brushes on the motor wouldnt build up alcohol or acetone. I used this version for Salvia extractions with acetone.

karmaxul
02-28-2006, 04:48 AM
just so you know iso has poison mixed in so you dont drink it. I used to use it to extract alpha thrujone from wormwood and then evaporate it. Well I evaporated a couple liters and eat the resin and was sick for 5 days. Real sick. Butane thru a pipe packed with plant material is best. I have made tinture with my clipping. I would fill a vodka bottle with the small leaf trimming covered with crystals and then pour the vodka in and let it sit in a warm dark place for a couple months. It did not get me high but I smoke alot. One thanksgiving I put a half ounce to a ounce of kif on the turkey and served to my friends. They passed out but I guess I just was used to it more being a grower with a bowl in every room. Anyway stay away from the iso unless you mix 1 ounce per gallon of water for mites.
One love
c

rodekyll
03-09-2006, 11:34 PM
acetone does not evaporate cleanly -- it leaves a residue behind.

isopropyl is wood alcohol. It's poisonous to humans. (see: BETTY FORD). Unless you can gaurantee complete evaporation, this could literally make you blind, or worse.

I've read (sorry can't cite the source) that iso and other "denatured" alcohols are processed with additives that are toxic to humans. This is to get around the taxes levied on consumable alcohol, since alcohol that is not for human consumption is not taxed.

Carbon tetrachloride evaporates more cleanly than acetone, but it's toxic to handle or breathe.

Don't even think about the various ethyl glycol solvents, such as used to be common in antifreeze. These molecules are similar enough to be taken up as alcohol by your tissues (mainly liver), but are dissimilar enough that your body can't process them. So they're in your innards forever -- for looong after they kill you.

Play it safe -- use food grade solvents or known friendly chemicals like butane!

rodekyll
03-09-2006, 11:44 PM
i believen u kno who, being as how u felt compelled to reply.. =) now elaborate

I posted a detailed description of what i call my "prepetual motion goodness extractor" in another thread "BUTANE EXTRACTION". What makes this a good method is that it's a closed system that will extract, evaporate, recondense, extract some more, etc, for as long as you feel the need to cycle the solvent thru the donor material. It works with alcohol or butane, and also doubles as a still for extracting the pure alcohol from commercial booze. I run mine on the back porch on cold nights and drip part of an 8oz can of butane thru it most of the night. Then I evaporate off the butane, trap it in the coil, remove the extraction chamber, and make the last drip cycle into a bottle, which I seal and put in the deep freeze for next time. Not much wasted solvent, and not much chance for a flamable environment.