PDA

View Full Version : Why illegal?

Nullifidian
11-29-2005, 02:54 AM
Hi! I'm new to the forum, so I don't know if this question has been asked and answered, but I'm curious to know just why pot was made illegal in the first place. I've heard a few different things, none of which I'm sure about, but I figured here I could get the straight dope, so to speak.

Thanks!

Walt

ILoveYouMaryJane
12-13-2005, 05:24 AM
america hates mexicans!

whyamiwhite
12-13-2005, 12:27 PM
that's why pot's illegal???? youre retarted imo.

zooted999
12-13-2005, 11:28 PM
that's why pot's illegal???? youre retarted imo.

Actually, he's right. I don't blame you for thinking it sounds absurd, because it is absurd. A founding reason as to the illegality of weed was because white Americans saw a bunch of Mexicans and black jazz musicians smoking and got upset. The fundamental reason is one of racism.

Additionally, Anslinger (the guy who lead the anti-pot campaign originally) also wanted it illegalized so eventually alcohol would be illegalized again after the Prohibition failed.

PieEyedPiper
12-14-2005, 06:24 PM
After the alcohol prohibition ended in the U S A, there were many underemployed cops, so they were put in a group that was later to become the D E A . The industrial hemp used to make rope etc was eventually phased out so there was no legal reason to grow it