PDA

View Full Version : 1st time grower needs some advice

pooley23
11-17-2005, 08:43 PM
hey you guys and girls im a first time grower using durban poison my set up is a bit make shift i have 5 plants growin in my wardrobe foil linned simple home made 2 ft flourecent 80w beam 1 small fan not got any money i was wodering if any one could tell me how i cud spice my set up up a little bit any suggestions will be appriciated. thanx

oturbojoeo4o
11-18-2005, 08:40 PM
go through and make sure there is no light leaks and such

get a thermometer

get a timer

give us some dimensions of the wardrobe

HAVE FUN

pooley23
11-19-2005, 01:13 PM
ok thanx for the reply the wardrobe is about 5 ft tall 2ft deep 3.5 ft wide i got a timer from the pound shop £4.99 so much for the pound lol there doing ok as i said its my first time ill need some proper guidance through it i think cos i want it to be a success ill buy the thermometer today ill try ge some pics on here as well

elcheapo
11-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Yeah cram as much lighting in there as you can. Get some CFLs for side lighting as well. Also get some XMas wrapping paper. You know the stuff that is shiny silver on the back. Replace the foil with that. Should be much more reflective and won't make that tinny flapping noise.

YELRAM
11-19-2005, 03:32 PM
hey everyone. i should heve been growing allloonnnggg time ago but the seeds i bought were pritty much all bad,but after trying each seed at a time lol i just tryed germinating the rest of umm and today i found 3 seeds had the tails popen out so i threw em in 2 pots. anyways 2 make a long story short just wanted 2 know how much light i should be giving em in this stage? like all the time them stowly into 12/12 or just 12/12 now?
peace~

elcheapo
11-19-2005, 03:45 PM
You can give them 24hrs until they start showing the first set of leaves. Then switch to 18/6 for about 30days, then switch to 12/12 for at least 8 weeks.

pooley23
11-19-2005, 03:46 PM
thanks can sumone please tell me what cfls are i dnt really know much about growing equipment also yelram i put my little seedlings on 24 hr light once they popped out kept the light well away and kept the closet door open dnt know if it helped but they seem to be dioing ok

elcheapo
11-19-2005, 04:22 PM
CFLs are compact flourescents. The type that fit into a regular light socket. They are usually energy saving and available in all different light spectrums. Cool White or natural are good for vegative growth and warm white are good for flowering. You can use a combination of both like I am for the whole grow. Energy saving flouros apparently have better light penetration than standard flouros.
Check out the following link for some good high power CFLs.
http://www.lightsofamerica.com/floods.htm
These come with reflecting hood and socket etc which could be handy.
Then again just buying the globes allows you to be a bit more creative.

pooley23
11-19-2005, 04:42 PM
thanx again elcheapo ill definatly try get some pics to show you whats going on gotta borrow my girlfriends camra though

YELRAM
11-27-2005, 04:46 PM
what is 18/6? like 18 hours of light then 6 hours of dark or the other way around?
peace~

pooley23
12-03-2005, 05:42 PM
yeh its 18 hrs of light and 6 of darkness