PDA

View Full Version : How much time/money did setting up cost you?

klarrix
11-15-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm considering trying a first grow, but if you guys could tell me how much starting costed you and how much time it took to prepare then it'd save me having to check prices to see if I can afford it.. Cheers :thumbsup:

Sentinel
11-15-2005, 11:29 PM
about 400$ so far for 4 plants

Max Blast
11-16-2005, 04:24 AM
You did not say how large or small you wanted to grow.

I can tell you that my first indoor grow had a total cost of less than $25-US

That included everything, light, pot, soil, enclosure for a one plant very small grow. I got about a quarter oz from it but you could get more with a little more patience than I had. The grow space was only 1 foot square by 2 feet tall total.

My second has cost a total of $285-US so far. That is Cabinet, Lights (veg & flower), Hydro stuff (medium, nutes, clone chamber), for a space about 3.75 square feet floor space by about 3 feet vertical space. I still will need to build some type of odor control and ventilation system very soon. Done as sea-of-green style I may get as much as 4 1/2 oz from this grow (18 plants)

The hydro costs a LOT MORE to get started than the soil grow did but I expect much greater results (yield-wise) from hydro. The biggest costs in each method can be the lighting and vent/odor control setups.

hope this helps,
Max Blast

turtle420
11-16-2005, 05:44 AM
Fuck damnit damn...

This, my first grow, is approaching the $3,000 mark. That's lights, wood, nutrients, meters, filters, pumps, lights, mutli-plugs, timers, this, that, some more of this and that, Rubbermaid tubs, hoses, PVC pipes, etc etc etc.

I'm going Hydro NFT with a 1000W setup (600W HPS + 400W MH)

Zandor
11-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Fuck damnit damn...

This, my first grow, is approaching the $3,000 mark. That's lights, wood, nutrients, meters, filters, pumps, lights, mutli-plugs, timers, this, that, some more of this and that, Rubbermaid tubs, hoses, PVC pipes, etc etc etc.

I'm going Hydro NFT with a 1000W setup (600W HPS + 400W MH)
Hell turtle just wait until your investment crosses the 12,000.00 mark just for equipment? It adds up fast doesnâ??t it? lol

They are right Hydro is one of the most expensive way's to grow there is. It also is the fastest way to grow and gives you the largest results as well.

If you have not grown for a few years you may want to stick with dirt farming. It's cheaper and easer for newbieâ??s so get a few under your belt first and enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Then give Hydro a try.

That's just my 2¢

oturbojoeo4o
11-17-2005, 05:33 PM
lol look at my thread....15 bucks free bagseed from an ashtray 5 dolla timer and 8 dolla for 3 CFL

right now i have 1 plant that im babying since this is my first try :)

after this flowers if its a female ill continue but if its a male....ill sell it to some blind kid

but after this im gonna do about 5 lowryders, seems fun :) check out my thread man!!!!

klarrix
11-17-2005, 11:12 PM
You did not say how large or small you wanted to grow.

I can tell you that my first indoor grow had a total cost of less than $25-US

That included everything, light, pot, soil, enclosure for a one plant very small grow. I got about a quarter oz from it but you could get more with a little more patience than I had. The grow space was only 1 foot square by 2 feet tall total.

This interests me a lot, that's a pretty good saving on weed if you can grow it that cheap.. Would odour control be an issue if it was just a single small plant?

Max Blast
11-21-2005, 10:09 PM
Sorry to take so long to reply, I was out of town racing my old-timey drag car. Got 2nd place for the season championships.

Anyway, yes odor control would normally be needed at least for the strain I grew. I believe that almost any of the "super-strains" would need some odor control if grown in the house. I did not use any but it was very hard to contain and anyone living in the house would surely have noticed.

I grew in soil in an 8" pot with saucer to catch excess water. I used a 5 gallon plastic "painters bucket" turned upside down for the enclosure and mounted a 42w (150w equivalent) CFL (one of those curly thingies as Mand would say) inside the bucket. Raised the bucket with brick spacers as the plant grew to keep the light 1" to 2" above the plant. Used the CFL for the entire grow (even the 12/12 cycle).

I did build a small screen and wire stand to create a SCROG system to limit the vertical hieght of the plant and get a lot more individual budsites.

The whole thing was really just an experiment to see what could actually be acomplished on the cheap if necessary.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME IF YOU ARE LIVING WITH YOUR PARENTS !!!!!

Hope this helps a little.
Max Blast

oturbojoeo4o
11-21-2005, 10:20 PM
yeh i liked your thread blast

i still need some odor control 2 :(

mightymarijuanabuds
11-24-2005, 05:25 AM
lets see... all lights (flor for a mother cab, hps for the grow cab) wood, fans, ozone generator, air pumps/stones, soil, fox farms nutes, etc

i spent about 350$-400$ and a few hours of work puttin it all together

of course i went thru many cheaper and less effective designs before i built my current setup

Trichome Creator
11-24-2005, 05:49 AM
$2000.00 here.

WeedyBoyWonder
11-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Well....

1 CFL light, and balast thing. - £45
Pots - Free
Seeds - Free
Soil - Free
Water - Free
Nutrients - Not got yet...

So about £50 tops... between 2 people, thats jack shit.

BukDatAss
11-27-2005, 02:29 AM
I just started germing some seeds. my first grows looking around 325-375 :confused:

OR Freebird
11-27-2005, 03:09 AM
You can get started cheap with a dirt grow -- mostly depending on wether or not you have a ready made grow space.

Bag o good dirt -- $10.00
Roll of reflective panda plastic -- $25.00
or (wince) aluminum, -- $3.00
or white paint -- $5.00
Pots of various sizes up to 5 gallons -- free if you know where to look
Nutes -- let's say $25.00 for some good stuff(s)
3-prong timer -- $10.00
Lights -- that's where the price varies the greatest. There's $500 light systems and $5.00 light systems
Seeds - price may vary. Use bag seed for first grow unless you have good money to throw away
Fan -- cheap

My first dirt grow cost me about $100 to build a growroom and about $300 for a good light w/reflector. I went with HPS can you can use it in veg and fruit stage. I keep adding stuff to my collection each grow -- pots, nutrients, microscopes. So it adds up over time. I assume at some point I will have everything I need -- though god knows when that will be

Zandor
11-27-2005, 05:38 PM
For indoor cultivation the rule to follow is "If you go cheap you grow cheap"!

Just remember that.