PDA

View Full Version : Veg. vs. Flower time

JohnnyPotGrower
11-14-2005, 10:53 PM
I know this probably wouldnt be considered an advanced technique but I figured I would ask it in this forum anyway.

My question is, whether anyone has experimented with different lengths of vegging and flowering.

To clarify; I am planning on growing my plant for about 110 days. Inittially I was going to do 55 days veg, 55 days flower. But after reading some threads in the indoor growing forum I saw a couple people who chose to have a much longer flowering period than their veg. period. This one guy said that he flowers for at least 10weeks!

So I would like to see if i can get some responses on what others' techniques are and what people believe is the amount of time to allot for each phase of growth. So any input or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JPG

PS - Specs.:
Strain - Northern Lights
Lights - 400W HPS, total of 75W of CFLs
Age - 24 days (on 11/14)
Height - 8-9inches, 6-7 nodes (compact).

turtle420
11-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Hey Johnny,

You can very the periods infinetely... I guess you adjust it according to experience and the results you see.

I plan on taking my clones and veging them for 14 days... then putting them straight into 12/12 for at least 8 weeks... I'll cut them down depending on the trichs.

Helped a little? Hope so...

:)

-turtle420 :cool:

cnd411
11-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Depending on what strain you are growing. Some strains need longer vegitative time than the others.

Zandor
11-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Dude the plant will tell you how long it needs to finish flower cycle. There will be a point when the plant may be alive but the trichomes will turn Amber and by then you are past prime. The plant may still be alive but it's on the down swing. If you want to push your plant then prolong your vegetation cycle.

JohnnyPotGrower
11-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks Zandor,

Let me clarify my situation; I am growing in a closet with a 400W HPS so I depend on the cold winter air from an adjacent window to keep temps at 80 rather than 180, lol. So basically I need to be done with my grow well before march when it starts to warm up (i am aiming for mid-late february. So I need to figure out how much time i can afford to to veg it.

Is 10 weeks a safe amount of time to allocate for flowering? If this is so it would mean that I would probably be switching to 12/12 on Dec. 2nd. Meaning I would have vegged for exactly 42 days (she is 25 days now). Is 42 days a long enough veg to get a good yield?

Thanks for the help,
JPG

latewood
11-16-2005, 03:55 AM
I think another consideration here: since you clarified your reasoning, is. If you veg for 55 days then it takes alot longer to finish to full potency/33% amber trichs and you will run out of time if you have a strain that takes longer...not sure how long it takes for NL to finish, anyway, If you veg for 40-45 days then you should have plenty of time to harvest at the right time...ala Zandor

turtle420
11-16-2005, 05:53 AM
If you veg for 40-45 days then you should have plenty of time to harvest at the right time...ala Zandor

I'm trully lost...

Why latewood?

If we veg longer, does it flower/finish faster? Slower? Depends on the Umpa Lumpas?

Veg 15 days VS 30 days... what's the deal?

Thanks... I'm just trully @ lost of what you're talking. ;)

-turtle420 :cool:

Zandor
11-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks Zandor,

Let me clarify my situation; I am growing in a closet with a 400W HPS so I depend on the cold winter air from an adjacent window to keep temps at 80 rather than 180, lol. So basically I need to be done with my grow well before march when it starts to warm up (i am aiming for mid-late february. So I need to figure out how much time i can afford to to veg it.

Is 10 weeks a safe amount of time to allocate for flowering? If this is so it would mean that I would probably be switching to 12/12 on Dec. 2nd. Meaning I would have vegged for exactly 42 days (she is 25 days now). Is 42 days a long enough veg to get a good yield?

Thanks for the help,
JPG
What he was talking about is the longer you veg the larger the surface area is to flower too. It takes more light penetrating into the foliage to finish bigger plants. You can use a bloom booster like "Mad Farmer MOAB" to kick them into flower quicker. It also packs on more weight in the end too.

Just figure 60 day's to finish flowering for most plants and you are safe (some strains are longer and some are shorter). Just count back from the day you want to harvest and go from there. The finish time could be more like 45-55 day's so you have a few days of play in your schedule.

Hope it works out for you.

hubblebubble
11-24-2005, 01:35 PM
FLOWERING TIME ALL DEPENDS ON THE PLANTS GENETICS AND THE PLANT WILL BE READY WHEN IT IS YOU CANNOT EXTEND ITS FLOWERING HARVEST AT THE PEAK IT WIKK DIFFER BETWEEN PLANTS

Zandor
11-24-2005, 06:02 PM
FLOWERING TIME ALL DEPENDS ON THE PLANTS GENETICS AND THE PLANT WILL BE READY WHEN IT IS YOU CANNOT EXTEND ITS FLOWERING HARVEST AT THE PEAK IT WIKK DIFFER BETWEEN PLANTS
Well if you want to YELL about it......

He is talking about extending the vegetation cycle not the flower cycle. He wants to harvest by a cretin date so he counts back 60 day's from flower time and you get the time you can veg them.

You don't need to yell.

smokejaguar
11-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Trying to make a formula of veg time isnt going to work.The time necessary for a worthwhile grow during veg has too many variables.Everything is by unique observation.My last grow was 20 Apollo 11's.In that group(all seed produced from 2 of my plants) I had extreme variations.Combine this with the natural growth drop off after each Topping and Pinching, youll never force it to a schedule.You must develope an approach and an eye for doing whats best for each plant and the group.-usdi Agaluga

Zandor
11-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Trying to make a formula of veg time isnt going to work.The time necessary for a worthwhile grow during veg has too many variables.Everything is by unique observation.My last grow was 20 Apollo 11's.In that group(all seed produced from 2 of my plants) I had extreme variations.Combine this with the natural growth drop off after each Topping and Pinching, youll never force it to a schedule.You must develope an approach and an eye for doing whats best for each plant and the group.-usdi Agaluga
When you gain more experience then you can schedule plants to with in a week to 10 day's of X date. I do it every single month of the year and I only veg for 3 weeks from clone.

From seed then need at least 30 day's to mature.

From clone they inherit the age of the mother so you can veg shorter and finish faster. There are many products you can buy that do cut the flower time and start the plant into flower about a week ahead on normal time to start flowers. CO² will also reduce your flower time by as much as 2 weeks and increase you yield by as much as 20%.

smokejaguar
11-26-2005, 03:23 PM
More experience.Lets see .Ive been growing 30+ years.I produce 3-4 grows a year for much of that time.Before indoor lights I grew outdoors and planted feilds from Mexico to the Great Lakes.If you bought Maui Waui from Hawaii in the late 70's it probably game from us, out of Texas.So forgive me if I doubt your ability to make such a formula out of something with as many variables.Not everyone grows from clone stock or by hydroponics.Your approach pretty much relys on that.-usdi Agaluga

Zandor
11-26-2005, 04:16 PM
More experience.Lets see .Ive been growing 30+ years.I produce 3-4 grows a year for much of that time.Before indoor lights I grew outdoors and planted feilds from Mexico to the Great Lakes.If you bought Maui Waui from Hawaii in the late 70's it probably game from us, out of Texas.So forgive me if I doubt your ability to make such a formula out of something with as many variables.Not everyone grows from clone stock or by hydroponics.Your approach pretty much relys on that.-usdi Agaluga
Well I have you beat by a few years and I don't grow swag outdoors. The Maui I got in those day's came from Maui not Mexico or Texas. There was regular delivery service from a few Stewardess who flew that route every day from LAX.

If you stick around here long enough you may learn something, if you're nice. :rolleyes:

smokejaguar
11-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Except we shipped it to Hawaii for sale in that market.Thats way your never really sure about anything you dont grow yourself.And a product that passes for top grade must be top grade, not SWAG.-usdi Agaluga

smokejaguar
11-27-2005, 01:53 PM
P.S. If I started growing before I was 20 and your 10 yrs younger than me the only way youve done this longer is start growing at 10.The only person I know who started that young was my daughter.-usdi Agaluga

Zandor
11-27-2005, 06:15 PM
I started my first plant at 14 like most other kids, I just kept on growing.

But if you know everything then there is nothing I can teach you. Why not write a book or too? I guess there is nothing you can learn from me then. But If I keep reading post with incorrect information or confusing information I will continue to post the correct information to keep this board correct and on track.
This is not OG and kiddies don't rule here. (not saying you are a kiddie)

anyway have fun dude.

smokejaguar
11-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Just beware of the dreaded "over generalization".-usdi Agaluga

JohnnyPotGrower
11-28-2005, 08:34 PM
okay then, so much for this thread, lol.

cycleguy
12-14-2005, 07:07 PM
I have a few plants that had very small flowers at the middle and bottom where I had a light problem. I cut the flowers from the top a few days ago. How long can or should I keep the plants going to harvest the rest of the flowers? Am I able to keep cutting on the plants with out any negative side effects? Is it worth doing this or is it best to start with some more plants?

Psycho4Bud
12-14-2005, 08:39 PM
I have a few plants that had very small flowers at the middle and bottom where I had a light problem. I cut the flowers from the top a few days ago. How long can or should I keep the plants going to harvest the rest of the flowers? Am I able to keep cutting on the plants with out any negative side effects? Is it worth doing this or is it best to start with some more plants?

Unless your talking about a huge amount, everything that I've read says harvest the whole thing and start a new crop! Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

Johnny Hempseed
01-05-2006, 04:15 AM
I generally go 2 weeks veg..and roughly 8 weeks flower..
MAX 3 weeks veg..I find those great big trees aren't worth the time and annoyance of trying to get enough light through them..
If you get yourself a good timer (one that allows you to program everything from on time to how long and off you want it to stay) you can program your timer so the lights are on longer than 12 hours during flower!
Flowering is triggered by long nights..not short days..so you can have the timer keep your lights off for 12 hours and on for 16...
It throws the concept of a 24 hour day out the window..but it gives your flowers more time under the light...