PDA

View Full Version : Badnarik campaign heats up - and the message is getting out

Libertarian Toker
07-10-2004, 01:54 AM
http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0408/badnarik-campaign.html

Michael Badnarik was nominated as the Libertarian Party's presidential candidate just over a month ago at the party's national convention in Atlanta on May 27-31, and has been on the road ever since -- logging well over 100 interviews with television, newspaper and radio reporters as he travels around the nation.

His message -- which means, the Libertarian message -- is resounding with the American people, who are learning to recognize this pro-small-government candidate when they see him.

"If you want bigger government, more taxes and continued warfare, vote for Democrats or Republicans," an Associated Press reporter quoted Badnarik as saying at an appearance in Wilmington, N.C., over the July 4 weekend.

The AP report went on to acknowledge that "the Libertarian Party stresses the rights of individuals over the power of government," and that Americans can show they are fed up with the status quo -- big government, the war in Iraq and high taxes -- by voting for Badnarik and other Libertarians come November.

"He gets a very warm reception everywhere he goes," said Fred Collins, a Badnarik campaign manager and one member of a constantly growing group of volunteers who surround Badnarik.

And his reception is getting warmer as people realize he's serious about supporting the Constitution and reinforcing the American tradition of personal rights and responsibility.

"He's been in Indiana, Tennessee and North Carolina in just the past few days, and before that he was in northern California, where he was in the Gay Pride parade," said Barbara Goushaw-Collins, who with Fred Collins is a member of the Michigan-based Libertarian campaign management team, The Troika.

"The reception at the parade was just extraordinary," Goushaw-Collins said. "After it, Badnarik went over to the Outright Libertarian booth, where they were signing up new members left and right.

"He was the only presidential candidate who bothered to go to the parade, and that translated into many people signing up to join the party -- people who recognize that he is genuinely dedicated to personal rights.

"It's really amazing how people have embraced the campaign and this candidate. There's so much activity going on around the country that we can't keep track of everything. People are really getting the word out, and it's truly delightful."

At one appearance, Badnarik was questioned about varying reports that he'll steal votes from Democrats or Republicans.

"If I'm talking to a Democrat, that person is usually complaining that I'll steal votes from the Democrats," he said. "If I'm talking to a Republican, they think I'm stealing votes from the Republicans.

"I'd like to point out that the candidates don't own the votes. The voters do."

For more information on the Badnarik campaign, go to www.badnarik.org.