PDA

View Full Version : my first grow $15 bucks! LMK what u think

oturbojoeo4o
11-04-2005, 06:09 PM
ok well ive been readying on here for about 3 months and ive decided to go ahead an try it myself, ghetto style :) went to walmart:

bought the 3 pak of 100watt CFL, 1700 lumens each...5100 all together $7.5
bought a small 24 hour 1on, 1off timer $5
2 grounding plug adapters $0.98
a screw in adapter to make one socket into 2 :) $1

nice 4 plug outlet (had it lying around)
2 desk lamps (just sitting there, taking up space lol)
extension cord (free)

my dad has a bunch or fertz and soil and about 60 jiffy-7? cubes unused. i live by a nice 6.5-7ph creek so thats cool

my closet is kinda hidden, the door is behind the main room door and the closet slopes down with the roof angle about 45 deg. so its about 20" deep x 5ft at the tallest point and about 5ft 10in long, and at the lowest ceiling height is about 10". im keeping my grow in the corner with the height ceiling, so my grow area should be about 20" deep x 24" length x 5ft height, im taking a guess that its enough space for my first grow.

really im looking for a good learning experience rather than huge yields maybe 1/2 oz to 1 dry.

temps with the light on are around 70deg F

im gonna be germinating some bag seed, about 5 or 6 of them, tonight or tommorow, im sure they all wont sprout, id like atleast 2 nice healthy plants

i included some pics or the room and closet. right now im thinking about making some kind or air tight covering for the room like 20"x22"x48" box and then have some sort of odor control later down the road, i was thinking those plug in air purifiers, thinking on sealing one to the outside of the box, ill have a small desk fan blowing on the plants to increase strength

im gonna update often, just cell fone crappy pics but i guess you guys can see what i have to work with. planning on all CFL grow, gonna buy more CFLs here soon, 3 more 100w should do me good :)

69NovAss
11-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Frist off, does your dad know your using
his stuff for growing?

oturbojoeo4o
11-06-2005, 06:30 PM
i have pro-mix, i ordered superthrive, 2oz, then i went out and bought more fixtures for lights, was thinking about getting shultz rooting hormone, so really im not gonna be borrowing much than bought 12 jiffy pots :) its a lil stealth grow, right now im thinking about a C13 conversion,

im building some small carbon filters, so im guessings gonna be a good first grow 11 seed germinating, 2 didnt survive the flat test. thinking about putting the seeds straight into the pro-mix...

:) cant wait to see sprouts

oturbojoeo4o
11-06-2005, 06:51 PM
i have pro-mix, i ordered superthrive, 2oz, then i went out and bought more fixtures for lights, was thinking about getting shultz rooting hormone, so really im not gonna be borrowing much than bought 12 jiffy pots :) its a lil stealth grow, right now im thinking about a C13 conversion,

im building some small carbon filters, so im guessings gonna be a good first grow 11 seed germinating, 2 didnt survive the flat test. thinking about putting the seeds straight into the pro-mix...

:) cant wait to see sprouts

Fugitive
11-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Youre gonna need more than 3x100 watt cfl for 6 seedlings and it probably is only 20 true watts. maybe this will do for the first few weeks, 2 or 3 weeks maximum. You don't need the lights on before there is a sprout. You will definetly need a desk fan its very important to have a good air flow in the growroom. About the smell the plug in air purifier just won't cut it. There is a pretty nice tutorial on overgrow somewhere (sorry no link) use the web absorber pad in a fan http://www.webproducts.com/furnace_ac/index.html

oturbojoeo4o
11-07-2005, 02:56 PM
sweet, yeah i had the lights on to take the pics, so dark without them, im looking for a small fan around the house and cant seem to find one :(

i have 2 more cfls im gonna get the 150w cfl, the one thats equivilent to 150w

i like the air scrubber witht he fish tank filters and i also saw one with some cpu fans and like a lil container of activated carbon that the air would pass through

i have the beans in a tupperware on top on my moniter, its about 78-83 deg no sprouts yet been about 26hr since i put them in and about 48hr since i water drop tested them....

i cut up some 2 liter bottles, is this a good growing container for now? i saw harddon thread and he didnt have drainage holes...should i put some in the bottom of the bottles?

also could i put the seedlings into the soil now? instead of waiting for them to germ in the towel, could i let them germ in the soil?

thanks

oturbojoeo4o
11-08-2005, 04:18 PM
so last night i came home towel was nice and moist and i had 2 sprouting, all my shit was in a totally different room so i said fuck it you know i gotta wake up at 8 anyways, so i wake up and the damn towel dried out and the taproots were about 1/2" long and really skinny, so i did some cpr i dropped them in some water so like 5 mins, then stuck them back in towel, came back like 10 mins later and the taproot started to plump back up :)

so i put the 2 in some 2liter bottles, but how much water do i add to the dru soil? do i put the lights above them? i put plastic on the tops to try to lock in moisture

and right now i have the lamps on the sides of the container so atleast there is a lil heat, aboud 75 degrees in the room

heres some pics

oturbojoeo4o
11-08-2005, 04:40 PM
1st pic: shows how i had it setup all 3 cfl on and a 100w incand on to create some heat

2nd pic:then i figured id put the cfls directly over the bottles, since im leaving soon and wont be back for another 12 hours

and i left the 100w incand on jus to create some heat

i can see some moisture building up on the plastic wrap, hoping my little seedlings that i almost killed by drying them out, hope the sprout :(

since all the soil was dry i poured about 0.5 liter of water in each and im guessing the plastic will retain the moisture some

oturbojoeo4o
11-09-2005, 04:22 AM
anyone here to help? :(

oturbojoeo4o
11-10-2005, 05:24 AM
hmmm no more seeds sprout from paper towel so far, and the ones in the 2liters havent come up yet :(

should i keep the soil wet, moist, or top wet?

should have posted in the indoor maybe get more replies lol :thumbsup:

SeAgul
11-11-2005, 12:56 AM
i have a similar closet grow. my mom knows nothing about the mj growing in my closet. STEALTH i assume its the same with you. but yes you might need a lamp upgrade soon, those lights wont work with flowring. they should do for what you doing right now though

oturbojoeo4o
11-13-2005, 07:31 PM
ok well i decided that they werent gonna sprout so i took one and looked for the seed, dead...

then the second one on closer inspection, i see it starting to come through the soil, this was 2 days ago...

i can now see the leaves and the serrated edges of the leaves, i have all 3 cfls on right now, the edges of the leaves look kinda yellow, are the cfls burning the leaves or what is it, i spray the inside of the 2 liter with about 4 sprays every day just to keep things on the moist side :)

the temp is about 71 degree CFLs on for 24/7 think untill i see the first set of leaves unravel then ill put to 18/6

about the the CFL wattage, i found a link from hardon to get some full spectrum cfls, was like 40 bucks for the 65watt shipped was nextday fedex

where is everyone buying their high wattage/lumen output CFL?

here some pics

im wondering should i have all 3 cfls on 24/7 or like 2 or just 1? they are right on the brim of the 2liter thanks!

Joel
11-14-2005, 02:54 PM
www.insidesun.com

For better seeds
www.drchronic.com

oturbojoeo4o
11-14-2005, 05:17 PM
ok well im looking at the Lowryder seeds right now and they look great for what im doing

and the CFLs on inside sun require the bigger base, like the mogul base...where the fuck do i buy those

the only place i found the normal socket higher wattage cfls were on full spectum solutions, and at envirolight

sooo let me know whats up

heres day 3 kooking good, i see the 2nd set coming up in the middle they are about 1/16in long

oturbojoeo4o
11-17-2005, 05:28 PM
well temps drop to about 60F in the dark cycle so im kinda scared, its about 25F outside here in ohio

today i can see the 3rd set of leave coming up in the middle :) excited

i watered today, so i water about 2-3 days but everyday i spray with a spray bottle

dont have any fan blowing in there yet, dont have much source of heat so im scared to freeze the little girl :(

ill put some pics up tonight show you whats up

at school soooooooo you know

oturbojoeo4o
11-18-2005, 08:24 PM
ok well the garden was spotted today so i found a new location, converted the drawers in my comp desk into a grow area, took all the bottoms out, except for the top drawer. just to make it look real

sooo i have about 3ft of height now instead of 5, still got about 20in x 20in

kinda bummed out

but its nice and little, keeps the heat in since its like 50F in my room!

working on gluing together all the drawers so i have one flat panel instead of having to take out all 3 drawers.... heres some pics

oturbojoeo4o
11-18-2005, 08:28 PM
my leaves are kinda curling like a canoe, what is this from? heat from cfls? dont have a fan? some baby yellow spots too. over watering?

oturbojoeo4o
11-21-2005, 10:18 PM
what are the yellow spots?