PDA

View Full Version : Soil keeps drying out..

CANABIZNIS
11-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Im using a 600 watt with a fan in my closet (7ft. long 7ft tall. 2ft wd.) it seems like my soil keeps drying out..The light is 2 feet above my plant box now, it was closer before but i moved it because over night the soild dryed out to the crisp..I planted my seed the day before yesterday do you think this damaged the veg process? Should I leave the closet door cracked open some? :confused:

Garden Knowm
11-03-2005, 01:44 AM
you are using a 600 watt bulb to start seedlings?

if this is so, you have your work cut out for you...

if you can, get a compact flurescent bulb from Home depot.. a small cheap bulb and fixture will do.. 10 dollars max.. start your seedling under this bulb.. keep it 5 inches from your soil..

your seed needs to stay moist...all the time.. you can not let it dry out...

if you insist on using the 600watt bulb to start your seedling, you will need to raise it at high as possible and pour 1/8 cup of water on your seed every 6-12 hours..

depending how hot the closet is getting.. regardless, you want to keep the seed and seedling moist for the first couple weeks...

good luck

CANABIZNIS
11-03-2005, 03:53 AM
Im using the 600 watt to start the seed and grow it all in one, i dont wanna deal with the transfer process, everytime i tried it would die in less than 5-10 hours. Every hour or so the top of the soil will become dry i find myself misting the top almost every couple hours of the day ...this is day 2 so far, the light is already 2..2 1/2 ft. above the soil do you think i should go for 3? then water 6-12? ..Im on a 18/12 cycle right now..It gets pretty hott in there, im starting to keep the door half open with the fan by it so it can stay cool..

CANABIZNIS
11-03-2005, 05:09 AM
Heres some pics to show you what im dealin with ..