PDA

View Full Version : Damned Fluro Lights Again... Help Me Please!

NiceNEasy
10-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi,

I've just reached day 21 of veg growth on my skunt No 1 plant, and my light goes - again...

I've got 1 125w envirolight. It's worked for 3 weeks on 18 hours, and then it pops. The last one I got worked for 1 second before it blew, and the one before that worked for about 11 weeks altogether.

Is there a standard time these things should work for, or up until what point would you try to send it back again. I really think my £30 quid should hold out a bit longer than 3 weeks, but I don't know.

Any ideas on why it keeps blowing? I'm beginning to think it's something to do with my timer, but has anyone else had a problem? I'm only using a bog standard house timer. Would I need to use something different?

Also (as if the above is not enough), is there another as cheap (if not cheaper) method of lighting. You hear so much about the expense of HPS etc.

Thanks for any replies. I'm doing to get onto my lights guy now, and see if I can get another bulb quick. I was just about to turn my plant 12/12 tonight, and now it's on the window. I've given a pic, just in case.

Kurtfolder
10-28-2005, 08:43 PM
how many watts is the light bulb and what's the max for your lamp.

NiceNEasy
10-28-2005, 10:01 PM
The bulb is 125w, but the holder etc was bought specifically for it. In the beginning I bought the bulb & reflector all in one.

elcheapo
11-09-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't feel right about trapping more heat around the bulbs myself. My suggestion is don't use a reflector at all and even try another brand of globe. I have a 40cm fan blowing a gale across all my bulbs so the ballasts are cool to touch. Out of 6 bulbs I only had one blow and that was within a few mins of turning it on.
The globes are 48watt (240watt equiv. energy saving). They cost about $18 US. each.
I thought flouros were supposed to last about 5 to 10yrs but gradually lose light intensity over that period.

turtle420
11-09-2005, 12:09 PM
NiceNeasy...

I'm almost 100% sure you have an electrical malfunction in your circuits.

Can you hide your plant/growing stuff, then call an electrician? I'm positive you've got some cables touching/making contact somewhere.

Fix it dude, or you'll keep on popping your CFLs.

Best,

-turtle420 :cool:

NiceNEasy
11-09-2005, 09:23 PM
You could be right turtle420. I'll definately look into it. I only wish I knew something about it to do it myself.

Mellow Man
11-10-2005, 03:55 AM
You could be right turtle420. I'll definately look into it. I only wish I knew something about it to do it myself.
wow! I have never heard of someone blowing cfl lights.you probably do have a electircal problem,those bulbs last forever! well a long time anyhow,I still got a cfl in my light socket in the kitchen for the last 2 years and it's on most of the day everyday.........

NiceNEasy
11-12-2005, 10:16 PM
So i hear, they do last a long time. I've got a new timer now that should take the volts. If there's any further problems (fingers crossed) I'll spill all.