PDA

View Full Version : Talking to my mom about cannabis

lemonboy
10-28-2005, 06:54 PM
My mom got back from a mission trip she was on for a couple of months. I've seen her and talked to her a few times but she's always been moving around so she hasn't been home. It's really great to have her home. She is a person of faith but very down to earth and humble about it.

So I was talking to her today and we were catching up. I told her that I was interested in working towards getting off of my medication. I take Paxil CR @ 25mg every day. I don't have any side effects from it, that is until I stop taking it. After I ran out of my prescription one week after being on it for a month I would have flashes of vertigo. Not horrible but not pleasant and certainly distracting. After doing some reading I decided this was not something I want to put into my body any longer. I explained to her these things to her. I also told her that I'd been on a half-dose for 2 months now without any ill-effects.

I went on to explain that the positive changes I've been experiencing in my life, both with my medication and with school, work, etc... were due to the fact that I was regularly consuming clean, potent cannabis. I have also lost 50lbs since January! I believe strongly in the anti-depressant and long-term positive effects of cannabis and I think the proof is starting to show.

"Cannabis? How do you spell that?" Yes, that was the question. We had talked about it before but not since I had become so educated on the subject. We briefly discussed scientific studies on cannabis, legal issues, vaporizers, growing, strains, etc... I really think I got a chance to give her a larger picture of the world that is cannabis. I'm sure we'll discuss it again in the future. Hopefully I'll have a new vault of knowledge to unload on her.

She has known I smoke for about a year now. She disapproved of it strongly but didn't stand in my way. I have always been honest with her since it came out and it has really helped. She asked me if I smoked every day and I told her that I did. Who knows where we'll go from here.

Just thought I'd share this. I thought it was cool to be able to talk to my mom so knowledgably about cannabis and get her to ask questions about it. Government propaganda can't touch that.

Ousted
10-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Your mom sounds like a really loving, understanding, and caring lady.

I think your honesty and respect for her when discussing these issues with her also reinforces that kind of reaction. I think like most parents, they would rather their kids be honest with them even if they dont like what they are doing, then lying and sneaking around, and distancing themselves.

It must be so nice to know you have a soft place to fall, and its so great to see that you appreciate your mother and the effort she is making.

Lulu
10-28-2005, 09:03 PM
You know reading your post made me so happy. I'm a toking mother aged 37, I don't drink but I do toke every evening. I've had a couple of worried parents contact me off the board after finding this site on their kids computer. Really only looking to educate themselves. Be open and honest when you can be, safety first but really the more we hide the more we show that this is something we consider wrong. And let's face it - it's bloody wonderful stuff :thumbsup:

DonnieDarko
10-29-2005, 01:17 AM
lemon,

Try to reassure your mom that you are in control of your "medicine" and that it's very safe. Her concerns are probably related to addiction and/or the possibility of your arrest.

I also smoke only for medicinal purposes, to help with anxiety and panic disorders. I smoke very small amounts of the good stuff every day, and I apologize to no one for my self-treatment. I ONLY smoke at home, to reduce the risk of ever being caught by law enforcement. I don't share my treatment with anyone at work, for the obvious reasons.

Good luck with your health. Your mom will be more comfortable as you continue to experience better health and well-being. Your story is more common than you may think, but most of the medical users (in the US) are forced underground. Someday, the truth will be known to all.

lemonboy
10-29-2005, 01:31 AM
I smoke for recreational reasons too, but my interest in it stems beyond that, and always has. I think the fact that I have so much going for me speaks volumes for how in control I am. Thanks for stopping by.