PDA

View Full Version : Damping off

Zandor
10-27-2005, 03:46 PM
The word for the day class is "Pythium wilt" itā??s a fungus that can grow in soil and most grow mediums. It keeps new seedlings from growing. It's not that they are bad seeds or anything they donā??t get a chance. It's a fungal condition that once it attacks give up itā??s too late. There is no recovery for the affected plant that I know of. Pythium wilt while mostly a problem for seedlings it can affect older plants too in the early vegetative cycle and stung their growth, the plant will struggle to survive but will be very small.

Mostly the cause is over watering or the fungi was present in the grow medium to start with and the humidity is too high for young seedlings. Most people have this problem because they use a tent over their seedlings to raise the humidity (and they need that sort of). The problem comes from not heating the grow medium to proper temperature (65-75 f) in the first place. Then you raise the humidity and there you go, perfect conditions for Pythium wilt (Damping off). The key is prevention with products like Polygragron granules added to your soil or Bak Pak, & Intercept work in the soil too. Try to avoid the ones you soak the soil with because over watering is a major cause in the first place.

As I have said over and over again it's all about the environment. This may be a weed but you don't need to treat is like one. From the second you decide to start growing you should think about how stresses free can I make life for this seed. Even your germination technique can affect the finished product and not even give your plant a fighting chance to survive.

Yes it all starts with the seed and how you germinate it. If you just drop seeds in soil then water, guess what? If the temperature is not right, the humidity gets too high you have a better then 50/50 chance of having a problem with Pythium wilt . Over watering and high humidity are the 2 of the way the fungi will grow even if itā??s not in the grow medium in the first place. You plant the seed to deep and over water and there you go perfect condition.

It all starts with how you germinate the seed (now where have I heard that before?)

Maybe a few will read this and think a little next time Iā??m sure your plants will be pleased if you do.