PDA

View Full Version : Clones direct to soil?

Max Blast
10-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Can clones be put directly into soil? I have the "rooting powder" and was wondering if I can put my cuttings directly into soil for the rooting process.

I have seen many threads on cloning using a bubbler or an aeroponics cloning station but nothing regarding putting the cuttings directly into soil after dipping in the powder.

I grow indoors (closet) with soil and have had one very sucessful grow under my belt so far.

Thanks for any help on this.

Max Blast

SOB
10-19-2005, 05:14 PM
i put my clones in a mix of potting soil and vermiculite and there doing great

Zandor
10-19-2005, 05:29 PM
ya that is fine just the success rate is lower is all. If you use anitwilt your odds will improve 10 fold.

the mole
10-20-2005, 09:43 PM
ive grown a few thousand clones in potting soil,getting close to 100% survival

Max Blast
10-21-2005, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the post Mole.

A few questions regarding technique.

Do you use rooting powder?

Are you putting the clones directly into the soil right away or are you first getting roots to grow using some other technique?

How wet do you keep the soil for the clones?

What about light for the first few days?

I am also looking for fert advice for the veg stage of the clone grow. I have used Super-Bloom for the flower stage but need specific advice for soil based vegging. Perhaps just a guideline to the fert numbers will do (10-15-10) or something like that. Are there differing requirements for the root growth phase and then the veg stage as there are in hydro grows?

Thanks for the help, my clones should be big enough in a week for me to get this thing going.

Max Blast

the mole
10-21-2005, 10:34 AM
i fill 12 to 16 oz cups with potting soil ,make sure its got perlite

the day befor i take cuttings , i drench the soil with water

the day i do take cuttings i give the soil just a sip of water,use room temp water.

get everything ready,rooting hormone,,water for dipping the shoots in,new razor blade,spray bottle, name tags,for the cuttings

I cut off a shoot a little longer than i need,i trim off all the leaves except the top 4,then i recut the end at a long angle,and dip into water,dip into hormone,and then plant it into soil,leave abit of stem above the ground,preferable with a small amount of hormone on it,to prevent fungus.takes about 20 seconds for me to do one.

when they are all done i give each one maybe a tablespoon of water just to wash soil around the stem good, then i mist them with room temp water .

now you need to keep them in a sealed container, a semi clear tipperware tub,or a plastic bag will work, if your not making that many,you can cover each cup seperatly.Mist the container and cover it,you want the humitiy high.

once ,or twice a day open the container,and let in fresh air,then mist them again,just lightly, befor sealing them up again,i blow air into the container, your breath is warm,humid,and has co2.

In 7 to 10 days you should notice the leaves just starting to yellow, now you need to gradually get them used to drier air,start leaving the lid open all day,just a small amount at first,you can probly stop misting too.

14 to 18 days ...some should be showing signs that there growing,their color will improve first,dont worry if they have a dead leaf or 2

i use powered rooting hormone, leave the lights on 24/0. and low light say 30 per sq ft

got to get ready for work,,,