PDA

View Full Version : GOUT!!!!

looseends
10-17-2005, 06:54 PM
My husband had the worst gout attack ever. For those of you who don't know what gout is-is an attack on the joints. It comes from eating red meats, drinking and stress. Used to be called the "rich man's" disease because the wealthy used to get it in the late 17th early 18th centuries.

Anyhoo...took him to the docs and he got some meds for it, but it wasn't like getting a nice bong hit and putting him to bed. Honey's doing much better now. :eek:

MeatRulz
10-17-2005, 11:14 PM
My dad had gout in his foot and he was camped on the couch for days...

onwardthroughthefog
10-18-2005, 02:27 AM
I've had gout for almost 40 years. It's not a big deal. But honestly, many doctors really don't know much about it....they just prescribe for it.

Gout is totally hereditary. It's not the "rich man's desease" that we were taught in our youth. I imagine if he checks with his family, he'll find grandparents, uncles and aunts, perhaps a parent who have it, or at least who have had the symptoms but never got diagnosed.

The BEST treatment.......take Allopurinol. It's a once daily tablet. All pain and swelling goes away in just a few days. It's a lifetime prescription, however. If I miss more than two or three days, I hurt like hell. If I miss a week or more, I can barely walk. But when I get back on it, no pain in a day or two. So I have learned to never travel or go anywhere without my meds. Allopurinol is the generic form of a MUCH more expensive drug called Xyloprim. Be sure to ask for Allipurinol. It'll only cost you about 1/4th of what the brand name costs you.

Incidentally, gout is caused by the kidneys producing too much uric acid, which collects in joints (not the kind you're thinking of), mostly joints that have been injured in activities like sports. The acid is in crystal form, and it feels like razor blades scraping away at the joint....which is, in essence, what is happening. The joints most often affected are big toes, knees, ankles, and hips. You can feel it in other areas, but those are most common.

Eating shell fish and drinking grain alcohol seem to trigger the worst flair ups. The enzyme that causes shell fish to grow the shell triggers the production of uric acid in the human body, when consumed.

If he has gout, it's for life. There is no cure. But it's really no big deal. Just tell him to take his Allopurinol each day, and he'll never have another thought about it.

Incidentally, MJ has a tremendously positive affect during the flair ups, and seem to greatly alleviate the pain. Until his Allopurinol gets into his blood stream in sufficient levels to make the problem go away completely, I recommend that he do no chores at all around the house, be waited on by his loving wife hand and foot, and that his bowl never be allowed to be empty. If he does get all of this, please tell me how so that I can arrange it for myself. But seriously, it does help to smoke. The pressure and pain seem to go away almost instantly, but it's short term.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Onward!

looseends
10-18-2005, 03:35 AM
my husband takes endocin for his attacks, but thanks so very much for the info. i'll pass the info onto him.

beachguy in thongs
10-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Is there a connection between Diabetes & Gout?

onwardthroughthefog
10-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Is there a connection between Diabetes & Gout?

Not that I'm aware of. I have a lot of relatives with gout, but I'm the only one with diabetes.

Do you have one of these?
Onward!

beachguy in thongs
10-19-2005, 04:34 AM
No. My Father has Diabetes. I heard something, somewhere about a possible connection between Diabetes and Gout.

sMOkeY bOB
10-20-2005, 11:12 PM
my nana had diabetes and when i was younger i accidentally jabbed my self with her needle and i seriously thought i was guna get diabetes, ahh the mind of a child haha

kvill
11-10-2005, 01:53 PM
I found your messages about gout and realize that the posts are a little old but maybe someone will still see and respond to this one. My husband has suffered from gout for several years and would take the anti-inflammatory to get it under control. That worked for a while and then it just started happening more and more frequently and not working as well. He finally went to doc and started allipurinol. I was excited to hear such great things about the results. :dance: The person who had it for 40 years was particularly encouraging since he said it was no big deal. However, no one mentions if you have to continue to change your habits, such as avoiding red meat and alochol. I miss red meat!!!! We've had little but chicken since this started!!! He s used to love to grill steak, ribs etc....Hasn't done that in a long time. Also, we enjoy alochol on the weekends :rasta: . A lot.
So, my question is can you go back to red meats and alcohol once you are maintenancing the gout? Can't seem to find that addressed on the web. Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

Monkey4Sale
11-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Is veal considered red meat? cause it's not very red, it's more like pork. So if its not red meat, and doesn't have the chemicals that are bad for you, you could eat lots of Veal. There are also game meats. People (not specifically people with gout) need to eat more types of meat. Game meats are good, duck, rabbit, hens, deer etc... there is all sorts of meat on the market, you just have to find it. Plus fish, lots of different fish in the sea.

ladan
11-11-2005, 03:49 AM
Gout is no fun, but I just retruned from the Doctor's office. He was kind enough to prescribe some vicodin to address the pain and believe me I'm feeling no pain right now. Would love to try a bowl, but I'm new to LA and lacking a connection.

kvill
11-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Wrote a long post yesterday, didn't realize I could post directly to you - to make a long question short...can you live pretty normally after maintenancing the gout with allipurinol, like return to red meat and alcohol? Your post was very helpful and encouraging, btw.

Zorrosbabe
11-15-2005, 05:33 AM
As veal is produced from baby calves (redundant, I know) I think it is considered red meat.

Is gout related to the presence (+ or -)/metabolism of iodine in the system? I think it is why salt is now iodized.

Zorrosbabe

dragonrider
02-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I know this is an ancient thread, but I was wondering if anyone on the boards these days has any first-hand experience with using MMJ to treat an acute attack of gout. Is it effective on the pain? Does it work for the swelling?

McLovin
03-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I dont have REAL experience except I have been smoking for ten years now, and my dad has been smoking 40 years now. He is 59(since feb) and has been getting occasional gout on and off for the past 5 years or so now. Everytime it swells his ankle/wrist up pretty bad and he stumbles around on it for a few days until its so bad he goes down to the VA and gets it drained and some meds. So to get back to the original question, We have used MJ to not really TREAT the attack, but just make it more bareable.

stinkyattic
03-06-2008, 03:41 PM
If you were to treat inflammation with MMJ, I'd look to the relatives of the Ortega line, that are known to have anti-inflammatory qualities. Most of the crosses released by Subcool/TGA are related... Space Queen and Jillybean aka Space Jill spring to mind. Power Plant, which is common, hardy, and easy to grow, may also help inflammation but check the Jilly first IMO.

dragonrider
03-06-2008, 06:27 PM
If you were to treat inflammation with MMJ, I'd look to the relatives of the Ortega line, that are known to have anti-inflammatory qualities. Most of the crosses released by Subcool/TGA are related... Space Queen and Jillybean aka Space Jill spring to mind. Power Plant, which is common, hardy, and easy to grow, may also help inflammation but check the Jilly first IMO.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how/when/where I would be able to locate and try a specific strain like that. But I guess if I got serious about trying it as a therapy I would be able to figure it out.

bigfatpothead
03-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I can get you the number of a Dr. in LA if you need it, then you can go to any of the dispensaries.

Gout is no fun, but I just retruned from the Doctor's office. He was kind enough to prescribe some vicodin to address the pain and believe me I'm feeling no pain right now. Would love to try a bowl, but I'm new to LA and lacking a connection.

bigfatpothead
03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I am suffering right now, without any oil.
but when you have it use hash oil and rubbing alcahol

rub it in the area where the most pain is.
If you are as bad off as me,,, it really hurts to touch it so get
someone to rub it in for you, it is agonizing but it is worth it.
by the way I had a massage therapist massage my gout out of my foot and up into my calf once. Now when I get gout it gets the whole area all the way up into my calf, so don't let it get pushed around, it kind of makes a new home there.
Aleve works for me as far as swelling, and if I absolutely have to I will take a vicodin.
Is allipurinal prescription only?
I don't like the idea of taking a pill for the rest of my life but i would be interested in trying it.
also, drinking lots of water helps me get better quicker.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I was wondering if anyone on the boards these days has any first-hand experience with using MMJ to treat an acute attack of gout. Is it effective on the pain? Does it work for the swelling?