PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Etheridge: I Used Medicinal Marijuana

Breukelen advocaat
10-17-2005, 12:48 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/14/AR2005101400897.html

I saw the interview on Dateline NBC earlier tonight.

washingtonpost.com
Etheridge: I Used Medicinal Marijuana
The Associated Press
Friday, October 14, 2005; 12:37 PM

NEW YORK -- Melissa Etheridge says she smoked medicinal marijuana to help with the side effects of chemotherapy during her treatment for breast cancer.
The 44-year-old singer, who was diagnosed over a year ago, is now cancer-free.
"Instead of taking five or six of the prescriptions, I decided to go a natural route and smoke marijuana," Etheridge says in an interview to air Sunday on "Dateline NBC" (7 p.m. EDT).
When asked how her doctors reacted, Etheridge says, "Every single one was, `Oh, yeah. That's the best help for the effects of chemotherapy.'"
The singer said she smoked marijuana every day for her pain and symptoms and "the minute I didn't feel it, I stopped."
The use of marijuana with a doctor's recommendation is legal in California and nine other states, but is against federal law. Asked if she was concerned about federal prosecution, Etheridge replied, "No, I didn't worry. But it was worth it."
She recently released a new greatest hits album, "The Road Less Traveled," including the new song "I Run for Life," which is dedicated to the fight against breast cancer.

looseends
10-17-2005, 02:32 AM
I checked it out earlier tonight and was very happy to hear that.

Mojavpa
10-17-2005, 05:29 AM
I wonder how she feels about recreational use, because she said she quit the moment she stopped feeling pain. Anyone know?????

Sinsemilla Jones
10-17-2005, 01:07 PM
http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread21196.shtml

Transcript: But there??s one part of her story she has never talked about publicly until now: A controversial choice she made to help with the harsh side effects of chemo.

Etheridge: I decided instead of signing up for the drugs that?? well, there??s the drug that you take for the pain. But that constipates you. So, you have to take the constipation drug. But then that actually gives you diarrhea. So, you need a little diarrhea drug. Instead of taking five or six of the prescriptions, I decided to go a natural route and smoke marijuana.

Phillips: Medicinal marijuana.

Etheridge: Medicinal marijuana. Absolutely. Every doctor I talked to that I asked about it said that??s the best thing to do. The doctors know.

Phillips: You spoke to your doctors about using marijuana?

Etheridge: Oh, yeah. From the surgeons to the oncologists to the radiation. Every single one was, ??Oh, yeah. That??s the best help for the effects of chemotherapy.?

While the medical community remains divided, California is one of 10 states that allows seriously ill people to use marijuana, with a doctor??s recommendation. But federal law prohibits the drug under any circumstances. So, Melissa??s doctors didn??t actually write a prescription. And Melissa used it, despite the risk of federal prosecution.

Etheridge: If they really wanted to come get me really, I mean, there??s so much more going on. And I just??no, I didn??t worry. But it was worth it.

Smoking the marijuana proved too harsh, so early on, she switched to a vaporizer to inhale it. She says it eased her pain, restored her appetite and lifted her depression.

Phillips: How often were you using it?

Etheridge: Oh, every day. I was doing a lot of it at the time, for my pain and for my symptoms. And the minute I didn??t feel it, it I stopped.

Phillips: As a rock star, your position on this does not come as a complete surprise.

Etheridge: I know, I know.

Phillips: Do you worry at all that talking about this from a medicinal standpoint might encourage recreational use? That what somebody hears is, ??This takes away pain. This is??this brings comfort.?

Etheridge: Do I worry that it will be abused? Yeah. I mean, Vicodin is abused. Everything that brings pain relief is abused. Yeah. But does that mean because Vicodin is abused, do they keep it away from people? No.They prescribe it. Put the laws on it, prescribe it.

Phillips: Have you thought about being more vocal in the medicinal marijuana movement?

Etheridge: Well, I guess I am now. Yes.

Complete Transcript: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9673481/

Sinsemilla Jones
10-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Phillips: Have you thought about being more vocal in the medicinal marijuana movement?

Etheridge: Well, I guess I am now. Yes.
nfm

beachguy in thongs
10-17-2005, 02:59 PM
It isn't fair that she can make her life easier, legally, and I can't. It isn't fair that her reward is to be published in a journal and mine is to donate more money than I've ever made in my entire life to state and federal governments. It isn't fair that Melissa Etheridge isn't my wife because lesbians make the best wives.

looseends
10-17-2005, 06:50 PM
It isn't fair that she can make her life easier, legally, and I can't. It isn't fair that her reward is to be published in a journal and mine is to donate more money than I've ever made in my entire life to state and federal governments. It isn't fair that Melissa Etheridge isn't my wife because lesbians make the best wives.

Stop being so bitter! :mad:

potsmokersinceiwas9
10-19-2005, 12:26 AM
i love your pic looseends its some funny shit

nickx760
10-19-2005, 01:38 AM
i have a gay name

you have a gay name

Sinsemilla Jones
10-19-2005, 08:19 AM
I think it's high time folks quit using gay as a common disparaging term around here.
:o

I love South Park.
:D

But, dude, those kids are like 8 years old!
;)

It's pretty gay to imitate an 8 year old.
:p

beachguy in thongs
10-19-2005, 02:20 PM
You know, with that Marijuana Party, don't you think that Alabama isn't the best State to start legalizing herb with?

I don't have a clue about what I'm talking about, but it's concerning Loretta Nall.

looseends
10-19-2005, 11:53 PM
i love your pic looseends its some funny shit

why thanks honey. it's who i go by.

Starchild
10-25-2005, 02:53 AM
Good for her!I am having fits of nausea and can relate