PDA

View Full Version : Hydro ebb/flow flood schedule opinions/theories

Stormcooker
10-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Ok Ok, there are many factors that affect the best flood and drain schedule. Some set-ups would require more frequent floods than others. Some strains may benefit from more or less frequent floods. Root space, aeration and air-flow, use of C02, strength of nutes, grow medium type, these are all things that determine best flood schedule.

I want everyone to give their opinion on this. Tell us YOUR success you're having, your grow medium, your flood schedule dark and light.

I use Hydroton, 6" x 6" x 7" square grow pots. I flood evry 3 hours for 15 minutes in light AND dark cycle. Most would disagree with this but I dont see anything wrong with it since my set-up and plants are thriving with it.

Cut and paste this and fill in the blanks please. I want to get a poll going and maybe come up with some kind of happy medium.

Flood frequency and duration in LIGHT:

Flood frequency and duration DARK:

Grow medium:

HYdroponic system:

Wattage of light:

grow pot size:

reservoir size in gallons:

number of plants:

Veg and flower time:

Strain type.....max yielder? nute-burn sensitive?

Extra air-circulation to root zone? fans directed at root zone?

Co2 usage?

Your answers will be benefitting many ebb and flow growers and I will post the results in true poll result form. If you have any links to this kind of information please include it in your answers. All opinions and theories will be appreciated.

turtle420
10-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Stormcooker,
I'd love to help, but I still haven't done my first grow yet, so I don't have any experience with Ebb&Flow.

I will communicate that I think that you're doing the right thing by having your flow for 15 minutes every 3 hours... even during the dark periods. I mean, it rains during the night, doesn't it?

Keep it up! Pretty intereseing thread...

Stormcooker
10-12-2005, 09:40 PM
ALso include the size of your grow space dimensions

Absolut Chronic
10-13-2005, 06:10 AM
Hey Storm... good idea on the thread... well I've built this ridiculous system and am waiting to put some cuttings into it... I've done more research than anything else and this is what I 'planned' on doing...

Flood frequency and duration in LIGHT: 15 mins on... 15 mins off

Flood frequency and duration DARK: 15 mins on... 15 mins off

(I don't think there should be any difference in light and dark unless they are weeping at night from overwatering, which I think is my current problem with my other drip system)

Grow medium: Expanded Clay Pebbles (Hydroton)

HYdroponic system: Ebb & Flow

Wattage of light: 400w Switchable MH/HPS

grow pot size: 4'' PVC cut and capped to about 8" deep

reservoir size in gallons: 24 gallons

number of plants: 11 plants

Veg and flower time: 30 veg days / around 5 weeks for flowering
(Both depends)

Strain type.....max yielder? nute-burn sensitive? Some shwag-shit, N/A, and yes... sensitive to nute and light... very sensitive

Extra air-circulation to root zone? fans directed at root zone? Fan blowing above canopy, fan blowing below canopy... fans directed at root zone?

Co2 usage? No

Here are some earlier pics of the setup itself... it will be connected to a 315 gph pump that usually fills all pots evenly after 2 mins... it drains in about 1 min and keeps a small (1") amount of water in each pot even after drained which I think is beneficial. I built this system and the stand to fit in my homemade greenhouse, everything fits perfectly. Hopefully this thread brings out some great ideas and most likely will make some changes... hope this helps... sorry to not have tried it yet... but soon!

Stormcooker
10-13-2005, 06:39 AM
just found this great link, it clears up a lot of my questions...

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/articles/eftips.htm

Stormcooker
10-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Hey Storm... good idea on the thread... well I've built this ridiculous system and am waiting to put some cuttings into it... I've done more research than anything else and this is what I 'planned' on doing...

Flood frequency and duration in LIGHT: 15 mins on... 15 mins off

Flood frequency and duration DARK: 15 mins on... 15 mins off

(I don't think there should be any difference in light and dark unless they are weeping at night from overwatering, which I think is my current problem with my other drip system)

Grow medium: Expanded Clay Pebbles (Hydroton)

HYdroponic system: Ebb & Flow

Wattage of light: 400w Switchable MH/HPS

grow pot size: 4'' PVC cut and capped to about 8" deep

reservoir size in gallons: 24 gallons

number of plants: 11 plants

Veg and flower time: 30 veg days / around 5 weeks for flowering
(Both depends)

Strain type.....max yielder? nute-burn sensitive? Some shwag-shit, N/A, and yes... sensitive to nute and light... very sensitive

Extra air-circulation to root zone? fans directed at root zone? Fan blowing above canopy, fan blowing below canopy... fans directed at root zone?

Co2 usage? No

Here are some earlier pics of the setup itself... it will be connected to a 315 gph pump that usually fills all pots evenly after 2 mins... it drains in about 1 min and keeps a small (1") amount of water in each pot even after drained which I think is beneficial. I built this system and the stand to fit in my homemade greenhouse, everything fits perfectly. Hopefully this thread brings out some great ideas and most likely will make some changes... hope this helps... sorry to not have tried it yet... but soon!

be carefull that the 1" of leftover nutes in the pvc pots doesn't sit in the roots. I don't think that is good for aeration.

turtle420
10-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Absolut,

I like it!!! I'm not doing an Ebb&Flow, but if I do, I think I'll be using something based on your design... I LIKE IT!!! :)

Absolut Chronic
10-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Storm... how do u suggest getting rid of it? I could put little hoses that drain it ALL out but I would need them to be small enough that it wouldn't effect the fill of the pots... I know it almost sounds oxymoronic because I would be having a drain automatically being effective once the water enters the cup... but I think the power of the pump will pump in more water than can be drained by the little hoses...

Mathematically speaking::

The 'input into the cups and system' has to be GREATER THAN the 'flow of the small drains' because the water must flood the cups

AND

Thus, the 'Overflow water' + the 'drainage water' = 'input of water into system and cups'

obviously...

So I would have to make sure that drainage from the small tubes is very slow... any ideas? (I know that shit was kind of rhetorical but none the less, I wanted to draw a picture for those who have no idea what we're talking about)

and... thanks Turtle... if you're going to make it let me know... I modified the plans that are online and know all the little trouble points that pissed me off during the process... good luck!

turtle420
10-14-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey Absolut,

Why does 'about 1 inch of water' stay in the pots?

Can't you lower your "exhaust" PVC? I mean, the "overflow" PVC? If you lower it, then it would let less water out... ???

Dunno... just throwing an idea...

HydroDynamics
10-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Totally new to this, but built same E/F system with some slight changes in looks. You should have no water remaining in the system after the pump stops and starts to back flow. It should drain entirely. Really curious how any water can remain in there.

I'm putting together what I think is a dank grow room right now... looking forward to my tomato seeds getting here in about a week to start off.

Fix your E/F system so no water remains or you will have issues with either root rot, or something growing in there you don't want.