PDA

View Full Version : why are you here

MyAntiDrugIsAmy
09-30-2005, 12:38 AM
is there anyone in here who feels anything in regards to spirituality or do most people come in here to debate about evolution and god and creationism?

ermitonto
09-30-2005, 02:06 AM
Depends on what you mean by spirituality. If that has something to do with spirits, then no I don't believe in spirituality since I don't believe in spirits. My brain is simply a big heap of matter and energy. To say that spirits are immaterial is to say that they don't exist; I only believe in things which can be shown to exist, so if there is something that I would call a "spirit" it is the collection of neural signals in my brain. I just don't use that word for it since it's not what most people understand a spirit to be.

But I think this forum is more for discussing worldviews in general rather than spirits in particular. It just so happens that a lot of people's worldviews involve immaterial spirits of some kind, and mine is grounded in science instead, and a lot if not the majority of the discussion centers around this difference, because the two worldviews are mutually incompatible.

MyAntiDrugIsAmy
09-30-2005, 05:11 AM
what i mean does not have to do with spirits. i mean that energy that you key in to that's at some level that makes you feel at peace. i used the word spirituality cuz that's the name of the forum

beachguy in thongs
09-30-2005, 05:32 AM
I mean I believe highly in the "green spirits".

beachguy in thongs
09-30-2005, 05:33 AM
what i mean does not have to do with spirits. i mean that energy that you key in to that's at some level that makes you feel at peace. i used the word spirituality cuz that's the name of the forum

That sounds like meditation.

MyAntiDrugIsAmy
09-30-2005, 12:58 PM
isn't that a part of spirituality?

beachguy in thongs
09-30-2005, 01:08 PM
It can be a part of that perfect peace, or at least a way to feel it, at will. Do you know how to meditate, Am-sters?

fattyk32
09-30-2005, 01:49 PM
mine is grounded in science instead, and a lot if not the majority of the discussion centers around this difference, because the two worldviews are mutually incompatible.

What if (and I'm a complete atheist BTW) God is really an infinite energy point like in the realm of a source (like in mathematics), from where an infinite amount of energy can be emitted. Remember that mass is just trapped energy. Thus, the existence of everything can be explained by the existence of a source of infinite energy at the point of the "big bang." However, this god has to conform to the laws of physics, so "miracles" are out of the question unless it expends a large amount of energy, which would have many consequences other than the intended miracle.

In regards to original question, since we are all energy, the term spirit could refer to the specific set of harmonic frequencies that our bodies exist at, meaning that we, in our own reference frame, perceive the inner emination of resonance energy which our minds can pick up and perceive as the spirit. I believe in science, but modern science can be religious if you alloow yourself to "believe."

amsterdam
09-30-2005, 02:54 PM
i am a christian and i believe in a higher power who i call God.....i will say..

anyone who looks at life as anything more than pure entertainment has clearly missed the point.

F L E S H
09-30-2005, 03:00 PM
i am a christian and i believe in a higher power who i call God.....i will say..

anyone who looks at life as anything more than pure entertainment has clearly missed the point.
That is the wierdest statement I have ever read. You cannot be a Christian and see life as pure entertainment. It just isn't compatible.

MyAntiDrugIsAmy
09-30-2005, 03:13 PM
That is the wierdest statement I have ever read. You cannot be a Christian and see life as pure entertainment. It just isn't compatible.
yes it is, but most people won't be convinced or open up to understand that people can believe in something and not associate with people who believe the same thing but fuck it up like a lot of christians do

beachguy in thongs
09-30-2005, 03:54 PM
yes it is, but most people won't be convinced or open up to understand that people can believe in something and not associate with people who believe the same thing but fuck it up like a lot of christians do

Most people won't open up to understand that people can believe something?

MyAntiDrugIsAmy
09-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Most people won't open up to understand that people can believe something?
well, that was half of what i was saying. reading half of it won't get the point at all...

i was saying that most ppl think that because you believe in something like God, you're just like all the other hypocritical asshole christians

beachguy in thongs
09-30-2005, 04:30 PM
"I'm gonna have to go with..." - (Family Feud slogan)

I think there are more "I-believe-in-God"ers than devout Christians, Muslims, and Hindu's, Jews. Creation-Evolutionists, as Neil Peart calls them.