PDA

View Full Version : Closet growing.

Mole2k4
06-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Hey guys, new to the forums, got my account just now :p

Basically I'm looking to grow, I've just moved and was thinking about growing in my attic, although closer inspection would leave me to believe it's too small to turn into an ideal place to grow. Haven't got exact measurements, but looking at maybe 2 foot high at it's peak!
Was thinking that this might be an ideal place to put them with some fluroscent's when they are just small before kicking out with some High wattage lamps?
Just wondering whether it would be practical to grow them in 2 different places? Also I believe this would reduce risk of accidental fert as my grown females would be in a different place from the males/ potential males(seedlings)?

This is the main problem I have, I had everything sorted in my mind, although due to the size of the room I reckon I'm going to have to do some closest growing just because it simply isn't tall enough!
Now admittedly I'm pretty much a newb at this and was wondering if people can clear a few things up for me. I've read these boards, as well as a few others and still have some questions.

1) How can I keep the humidity quite high in a simple closet? Living in the UK means I have a generally low humidity level and all the closets I have are quite badly damaged, with holes on the back of the closest (which is against a wall). Not worried about light getting in there through them, although keeping a certain temp + humidity would be near impossible!

2) Would an extractor fan be more effecient than just say, leaving the door open? Once again, temp and humidity would need to come into this.

3) As the closet isn't very wide, I'd get maybe one or two plants in there with an OSC fan, are there any smaller alternatives?

4) Should I build a dedicated housing area? I work in a DIY store, and getting the materials either cheap or free wouldn't be much of a problem, although what would be the ideal dimensions for it?
Should I create holes for the extractor unit?
Should I use Ply or MDF? Ply is quite flimsy, and much more expensive than normal MDF, although would there be any advantage to using it?
I personally think MDF would be better as it's thicker and heavier, thus more stable as an enclosure.

Sorry to ask such newbish questions :( but I'm looking for info virtually every day and everywhere wants me to buy a book. Which I will do, but right now budget is quite tight (I just bought a place) and am looking for essentials.

Am I right in thinking the basics needed are : Pots, seeds ( obviously :D ), comp+fert,Ph testing kit, humid + therm measurements, Flur tubes 1/2 and a 4-600W light + ballast etc.
I found one for about £60 which is quite alot in my opinion :| but is the cheapest I can find (second hand but unused).
LOL Sorry, one last thing, my mate keeps telling me to buy some UV light's instead. Are there any benefits / drawbacks using a HPS or a UV?
Cheers guys :o Moley.

N30SS
06-23-2004, 05:09 PM
do Sea of Green my friend and you'll have much better results and much higher yields, Just a small desktop fan or 2 should do for each area, dont know about the humidity tbh, dedicated housing isnt a neccisity although i highly reccomend sum mylar or other reflective materials, ur m8 is an idiot unless hes talking aBOUT THE UV LIGHTS FOR THE CLONES but otherwise hps is the way to go, yeah the basics r pots (unless u want to go hydroponic that is) and soil ph tester thingy nutrients humidity is not essential but a thermometer is quite handy, if you want cheap and good grow equipment then go to www.growshopalien.com./shoponline theyre very cheap and u can get a 600w hps (inc ballast bulb reflector the works) for under £70! that shouldb enough for now m8 and good luk (if u need any more help post again or go to www.marijuanagrowing.com by jorge cervantes) HAppy Growing!