PDA

View Full Version : first grow gonna go for it!!!

monagal
09-13-2005, 12:23 AM
well...my room is a cold storage room...16 long by 6 wide with 8 feet of ceiling...
no windows just a air intake hole and a sewer hole to suck the stink out
gonna vent out from the top to sewer...and let the cool in by dryer hose on the bottom...(by the way... we have rats has anyone ever had them come via the sewer? and will they be attracted by the smell?)

my babies will be started in the bathroom under a 6 bulb flouro (4 ft)

question...(please, ima total newbie here)...

any suggestions? anything will help...like how many and what is sea of green method
lined the walls with mylar...have 2 600 watt hps

looking fort he biggest yeilder anything will help... this is a first time question so go gentle dudes...email me will send gratitude !!!

monagal
09-13-2005, 12:31 AM
monagalme@hot

Zandor
09-13-2005, 02:40 AM
For a first time I suggest you stick with dirt farming.

The best advice I can give is don't use Miracle Grow potting soil.
My personal preference is sterile soil mix with 50% Perlite for quick drainage.

Good soil with some nutrients
Ocean Forest Potting Soil from fox farm. This is 100% organic
Sunshine #1
This is a good soil mix with Canadian sphagnum pear moss and dolomite lime for Ph control.

No mater what you use add Perlite to improve drainage about 50/50 mix. The idea is when the soil is moist you should be able to take a handful of dirt and crush it in your hands. Hold your hands about 12" above the pot and release. When the soil falls back to the pot about 50% of the soil should fall apart. The remaining chunk from your hand should break up easily. That is how I test my soil and know if the mixture is right or not. You want the soil to hold water but not for a very long time. You want to water every 3-day's on average so the soil must drain quickly. If the soil is not dry by day-3 then don't water. The chopstick method or a soil meter will tell you when it's safe to water again.

Make sure you have plenty of drainage to remove the water and avoid nutrient build up that can turn toxic. Most people forget about the outer edges of the pots and only have a center hole for drainage. That's not enough to me. When I grow in soil I drill extra holes in whatever pot I use. I drill around the edges lower sides and the whole bottom. I do use the double bucket method where the top bucket fits into the bottom bucket and the bottom bucket catches the run off. The roots can stick through because there is an air gap and that's a good thing. You do need to empty the bottom bucket every week but that's about it.

Grow bags are a good cheep way to grow, punch a few extra drainage holds in the very bottom but that's about it. I like the 3-gallon size but you need to have a way to catch the runoff and keep lights from reaching the roots that will stick out the bottom of the bag. Normally when the roots stick out the plant is big enough to have leaf coverage to block the light. A simple trash bag will cover the soil and block the roots from being hit by the light.

Most important thing about dirt farming is don't over water. Fungal gnats suck and are hard to get rid of and most of the time the cause is over watering. They live in the dirt and feed on roots. I don't know of anybody who lost a crop to fungal gnats but I guess it could be done. They are more of a pain in the ass then anything else. In a young plant I believe they would do damage because they live off the roots but in an older plant like mother or a flowering plant the root zone should be established.

That should get you started.

monagal
09-14-2005, 01:51 AM
thank you zandor...now can u send me to a sog instructions site

Zandor
09-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Sea of Green is just small short single cola plant grown close together. You are only looking to average 1 to 1.5 ounce per plant. You are growing many many plants in a very short time period. You grow from clones and once you have roots you veg for 21 day's on average and then switch them to HPS for flower. You finish in about 80 day's or so. It's more suited to Hydro growing then dirt farming.