PDA

View Full Version : Newbie First Grow, my set up

SeedKing72
09-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Ok, I am almost ready. I appreciate any comments and criticism! First and foremost you guys have been VERY helpful. PLEASE if you see any issues with my setup, etc.. please say something. I am putting all this information for other newbies, so they can experience from success or failure. I can take CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I put prices for newbies, I want people to try this

1. I started to go with 5- 40 *2 Watt Flourescent lights total of 400 watts ($8.00 each from Wal-mart + bulbs) Figured it was a waste of time and spent $200 to get 400 Watt HPS/ML with converter bulbs ($35 was shipping + Free timer). Got it from HTGSUPPLY.COM (ebay). Will use flourescent for seedlings. My closet is 5.5(l) * 2(w) * 7(h). I am thinking I could split it somehow for SOG. But that is later! I will have about 4-5 plants, hopefully after I start 10. Still got to get 2 fans. Mylar was too expensive to cover whole closet. I started to use Aluminum foil. That SUCKED it got all crinkly and ripped. Then I read Flat white paint would work just as well (Not better than Mylar). Got some white paint from Sprawl-Mart (Wal-Mart) for $5.00 and put white poster board on the doors (didnt want to paint the door)

2.Got advice to use sack seeds for first grow. To get experience!! I said screw that, I would rather Know what I am dealing with. Why start with crap just to save a couple bucks. I ended up getting Northern Lights, White Widow, and White Rhino. Gonna do Northern Light first and some sack seeds. Seeds were $18.00 for 10 from RhinoSeeds.com. I chose NL for ease of growth THC content. The white widow is supposed to be a good high! Chose Nirvana for cheapness, Once I get SERIOUS.. I will get better seeds (If these are crap, cant be worse than that Ghetto weed I been smoking)

3. Gonna Use 2/3 potting soil 1/3 perlite + additivies if needed for PH. Also bought a RapidTest PH Meter for $8.00

4. Gonna start seedlings in Jiffy pots and peat pots. See what works best. They are gonna end up in 5 gallon buckets. I got the buckets for $1.00 apiece at walmart (They were $3.49 before clearance)

5. I am going to go 18 Hours until flowering then 12/12. Gonna try to clone best plants before flowering. for next grow

6. Still kinda confused about Fertilizer, but I figure I have 2 weeks until I need to start hitting them with fert. I have some Miracle Grow for my houseplants, but I WILL buy what is best!

Pictures as soon as its all going!

luckydan
09-11-2005, 10:11 AM
sounds all good to me seedking.You seem to have the right idea .
As far as the fertilizer goes i just use a good all round hydroponic 2 part feed,there are lots on the market it is usually personal preference.Get one lot for the grow cycle and one for the flower cycle.
You have a closet about the same as mine but i have a wall devideing one end to leave a 1.4 foot square chamber where i grow my seeds and cuttings under 130watt fluro on 16 hour days .This is the first time i have used fluroes for any type of growing.I use to use a 400 watt hps for this pupose and do the flowering under a 1000watt mh but i dont have the room any more.
You wont be disapointed with the 400watt hps it will be a lot better than flowering under just flouresent well worth the money...Well worth buying good seed to if you dont have good smoke around you can be asured the seeds will be just as bad as what you have been smokeing,you should be very happy with the northern lights....happy growing ,hope it works out well man....