PDA

View Full Version : Do you think smoking herb had something to do with the disappearance of the Mayans?

beachguy in thongs
09-09-2005, 07:17 AM
They're gone. But their herb isn't.

slipknotpsycho
09-09-2005, 09:46 AM
i don't know too much about anceint civilazations, but from what i've heard i've made the assertion that most (if not all) ancient civilazations simply "moved on" to another land and became known as something completely diffrent by others.... hell for all we know, what were the mayans migrated to canada (remember i stated i don't know too much) and are today's "canadians" it's believed by most that even believe in atlantis (from a scientific point of view and peicing together clues) that there was a catastrophic volcano, and those that did make it off the island were out at sea for many many days if not weeks, and landed on diffrent continents (those that survived the trip) where they just simply mixed in with the current residents and they "became no more"

F L E S H
09-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Mayans, I believed , were simply absobed into the Aztec empire when the latter grew exponantially. Then, literally, they all moved to Mexico City, which is one of the reasons it's the biggest city in the world.

beachguy in thongs
09-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Sounds interesting, I wonder why it's been thought for a long time that an entire race just disappeared. I wonder what kind of debates people have about this.

ermitonto
09-09-2005, 06:14 PM
The Mayans are still alive and kicking. They just don't have their own empire anymore. There are still large parts of rural Guatemala and rural southern Mexico where the Mayan languages are the speech of everyday life, and Spanish is just something learned in school to communicate with people from farther away.

beachguy in thongs
09-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Sounds interesting, Ermontito, do you think they just adopted the language, maybe through connections with the tribe?
Any other disappearing races of humanity?

ermitonto
09-09-2005, 09:12 PM
The Mayan language and culture have been in continual use by the indigenous people of the region for thousands of years. The Aztecs, the Mayans, the Incans...all their languages and cultures are still thriving, but under the rule of the nation-states that Spain left behind. As for other "disappearing" peoples, they're all over the place, especially in the Americas. As a linguistics major, I can tell you that the vast majority of Native American languages are extinct or heading in that direction. The most widely spoken of them, and one of the very few with a body of speakers that is actually growing, is Navajo, which only has 100,000 speakers. Most of the Native American languages which still persist have a few dozen elderly speakers at the most, and scientists are scrambling to find out as much as possible about their languages and lifestyles before they vanish off the face of the planet. Fortunately this is not so severe in Central and South America, but it doesn't look like many of these tribes have much hope of retaining what they have left for very long.

Ferre
10-04-2005, 02:22 AM
Look up your history. The Spanish Inquisition killed every single person they could kill and destroyed and melted down their cities because of the gold.

Those cultures have been helped by Xtianity to vanish... as so many on this planet.

beachguy in thongs
10-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Why isn't anyone else bringing up Spanish Kings instead of Bush? Or Hitler?

SomeGuy
11-02-2005, 05:11 AM
a good question, but it can be asked about many many many many people in history....people just care about the most recent ones in history...what about the man on the $20? Andrew Jackson was responsible for the the deaths of thousands and thousands of native americans, even though some such as the Cherokee had became useful parts of society(as they had been asked) he still killed and marched them away. He was also known for giving orders to shoot people for disobedience. Theres proof that he even had a 17 year old boy shot for refusal to clean up a mess. As much as I love this Country, I have to remember its built over the blood of others.

SomeGuy
11-02-2005, 05:12 AM
Also Im a christian, and we have done some thing not too be that proud of either...but it happpens, and life goes on.

beachguy in thongs
11-02-2005, 01:26 PM
That was an interesting post on Andrew Jackson, something I didn't know.
What I do remember is that he was our a "Southerner"-type President, and maybe he shared the views of slaveowners, I'm not sure.

parrotman
11-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Most experts belive that the disapperance of the Mayans in such a short span of time was caused by a severe drought that lasted for several years. This drought destroyed crops and obviously led to a shortage of water for drinking and irrigating. :smokin:

Stoner Shadow Wolf
11-22-2005, 02:53 AM
Mayans, I believed , were simply absobed into the Aztec empire when the latter grew exponantially. Then, literally, they all moved to Mexico City, which is one of the reasons it's the biggest city in the world.Tenotitchitlan, the aztec Capitol, Mexico City.

sorry, ignroe me :D

beachguy in thongs
11-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Most experts belive that the disapperance of the Mayans in such a short span of time was caused by a severe drought that lasted for several years. This drought destroyed crops and obviously led to a shortage of water for drinking and irrigating. :smokin:

So, you're saying, most experts believe they died from "cotton mouth"?

robert42
11-22-2005, 12:18 PM
lol of course

F L E S H
11-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Tenotitchitlan, the aztec Capitol, Mexico City.

sorry, ignroe me :D
Good comment :) Calling it Mexico City referring to 500 years ago is an anachronism :D

syrrus
11-22-2005, 10:40 PM
The ancient south american cultures have gone through many cultural shifts throughout the last couple thousand years. The aztec civilization was actually a very minor player early on in central american history, they were so defeated and beaten that their enemies left them to die on the Tenochtitlan lake. The aztec were very ingenious people though and they founded the basis of hydroponics today using raft systems to cultivate food. When they expanded their empire they still kept their water based capitol and even today food is cultivated in the nutrient rich water of the Tenochtitlan lake. I don't know if they cultivated cannabis on it or not, but if they smoked it in their early exsistance on Tenochititlan then they most likely grew it hydroponicly.

As to "their herb" it's not their herb. Cannabis isn't native to the Western world. In fact cannabis was taken from present day india, and nepal to be propagated all the way throughout asia and onward accross the natural land bridge that formed between present day russia and alaska. Cannabis moved throughout north america with the nomatic tribes and later down in through central and south america.

beachguy in thongs
11-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Yeah, that's not what I meant. They left their bongs behind. And whatever was left of their herb, was probably smoked by other tribes.

Stoner Shadow Wolf
11-22-2005, 11:02 PM
smoked and nurtured :D

and LMAO Montazuma's revenge :D

dont drink the watrer!!! LMAO.

funny how that works, huh? the Aztecs had the best damn growing wisdom of their time, only to have their water desicrated with hundreds of thousands of rats and their feces.

Montazuma's revenge!!! :D

take that you spaniards!

parrotman
11-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Yeah thats basically what happend. The way they determined this was by looking at tree cores, to determine the dry years. A tree will show little if any growth during a dry year, do to the lack of water. They found that it matched up with the approximate time of the mayans disappearance. :smokin:

Stoner Shadow Wolf
11-23-2005, 01:08 AM
THAT'S IT! THEY WERE ANNAHILATED BY COTTON MOUTH!

they smoked so much that they had the worst cotton mouth, and ended up drinking all the water in the area, to cure their cotton mouth, and ended up causing drought! :D

i should be high when i come up with shit like this :S

NightProwler
11-23-2005, 02:52 AM
Alieans. or however you spell it

Stoner Shadow Wolf
11-23-2005, 06:23 AM
LOL aliens brought pot to earth, remember? :D

beachguy in thongs
11-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Alieans. or however you spell it
You're a classic, don't ever change.