PDA

View Full Version : Newbie (Havent started)

SeedKing72
08-29-2005, 05:29 AM
I have a closet that is roughly 5.5L & 2W & 5.5H. I started to use Aluminum foil, gave up on that because it tears to easy and it crinkles too much which ultimately reduces the whole purpose. Mylar is too expensive for the time being and I would like to easily disinfect the room after each grow (If there is one) and it hard to clean it ( I could see it crinkling or tearing) So I am going to use some cheap FLAT WHITE PAINT from home depot, walmart. I am currently going to use 5 2*40Watt Flourescent bulb (So 80 Watts Each), 4 are mounted vertically in each corner with one a chain. I do plan to buy a 400 Watt HPS for 2nd grow ($119.00 off Ebay), but I worried about the heat and the light bill (Actually, wouldnt the light bill be minor for 400 watts?). I have been reading about soil and I get all kinds of conflicting opinions (i.e Do use miracle grow, dont use MG, Use Scotts, etc..). So I am thinking I will just buy some organic sterile potting soil and mix in some perlite. I am thinking I only want to grow 4-5 plants. I dont want to sell, I am just sick of the B/S i have bought (sticks,stems, and plenty of seeds). I want to grow Northern lights and/or White widow. I think the NL is supposed to be about as IDIOT proof as you can get. I have some seeds from several bags, but I dont want to waste my time and I would rather get some good seeds. I ALMOST ordered some seeds and had them sent to my house, I thought better of that. But I cant convince any one to let me send any seeds to their house. MAINLY becuase I have not told anyone (Loose lips sink ships) and HATERS surround me. I bought INDOOR MJ Horticultre (George Cervanted):Now to my Questions:

1. Do I have enough lights? I thought 5 was overkill, willing to add one more if needed!
1A How many plants can my dimension hold? (Keep in mind I dont need lbs, just some ounces for my personal use (even my girfriend doesnt know about this)
2. Where can I get some good seeds at a good price safely. I dont want too much, because I want some experience before I spend more money on the BEST SEEDS (Keep in mind this is personal smoke for me). Any stealthy ways? Am I being PARANOID
3. What strains do you reccomend for a beginner?
4. Why is Nirvana so cheap? Are they worth the seeds. I see seeds for $17.95, others for $100+
5. What soil should I really be buying?
6. Any better book than INDORR MJ Horticultre (George Cervanted), one that is newer?

Nochowderforyou
08-29-2005, 03:47 PM
1. So you have 400W of floros then right? If so, you can easily grow 3-4 plants. I take it you're going in ft? If so, you can easily grow 3-4 plants. I bet you could cram 8-10 small indica plants in there, but then you would have to increase wattage, which costs more money. So yes, 3-4 nice, bushy plants could grow in that space.

2. Which country do you live in? If you live in Canada, buying seeds from a company and getting them is no problem. The US on the other hand, is a little more risky. They are known for confinscating your bought seeds and sending you nothing. But if you're in Canada, check out Nirvana, they are cheap, but still produce high quality plants.

3. Northern Lights are perfect for a beginner. Easy to grow, they are easy to maintain, they stay small-medium size, and the stone is great. Try lowryder as well. Lowryder is an autoflowering plant, so after about 3 weeks of veg growth, it switches to flowering on its own and can flower even under 24hrs of light. 8 weeks from seed to harvest and gets no taller than 3ft. Requires only general care (watering, feeding). Give it some thought. Try ICE from Nirvana, a very nice strain.

4. Yes, Nirvana is good, I have seen some amazing plants from that company. Some are more expensive because they are basically a higher quality seed, that produces a higher quality bud. The more expensive ones, IMO, are for advanced growers as they require a little extra TLC so you know where that extra money went. Nirvana produces very nice MJ, just the other, more expensive companies, are just high quality product. I find it silly to spend more than $100 for 10 seeds.

5. Any soil except Miracle Grow. MG can be used, but shouldn't be as it is not formulated to grow resin producing plants. So, any brand, just make sure it is potting soil, sterilized. Try to get some Vermiculite or Perlite as well, just a small bag. Mix 1/3 Verm. or Per., and 2/3 soil. That mixture is very effective, easy to make, and will lighten the soil nicely for easy drainage.

6. I've never bought a book. I have learned everything, from here:

www.overgrow.com

Go to the FAQ's at the top of the page. They have everything imaginable from basics-advanced. Check it out.

Peace

SeedKing72
08-29-2005, 04:03 PM
First and foremost. Thanks for the reply. I realize some of these questions have been answered all ready. Seems alot of people get upset for people asking the same questions they had to ask when they were starting out!

I do live in the states. Man the good ole USA has it panties tied in a bunch. I can buy a pack of killer cigs easily, it kills more people than weed ANYDAY! Right now my biggest problem is getting seeds sent to USA. I will have to find a way!

Thanks!

Rezinator
09-01-2005, 12:54 AM
SeedKing,

Hate to be the buzzkill but....

Have you thought about how you would supply ventilation for this closet space? Not only for temperature control but also for odor elimination.

If youâ??ve never grown before, and I was there only last year, you should probably try a practice run using just some bagseed.

How far away is the nearest city (population over 20,000) from you?

Rezz