PDA

View Full Version : In a funk...kinda

IrieAllie
08-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey all :) Well, school starts back tomorrow for my kids, and I am thrilled....they have been anxiously awaiting going back (okay, so have I!!!!)

I'm in a blah funk lately, though. Work has been slow for me, and I am getting a bit worried that I will need to go "out there" and find a job. A hunk of background...when I went to college at 19, I had a *bit* too much fun, and ended up spending 3.5 years getting a 2 year degree in "General Studies". It's something that always bothered me, so a few years ago, I went back to school, and got my Bachelors in Communications...even graduated with a 4.0--believe it or not!!!! Since then, I have done some "various" things, including real estate...which I loved, made great money, but felt it took too much time away from my little ones. Mr. Irie and I knew long before we had kids that I wanted to stay home with them and raise them, so that's what I've done. Now they are 6.5 and almost 5--getting more independent, not needing mom so much, and giving me the much needed time to do what I want to do....

So I went back to my old faithful of writing, marketing, etc., on a freelance basis. In Jamiaca, I decided to come home and start my own business...basically doing just what I love...writing, editing, marketing materials, graphic design, etc. I had a client that kept me busy for several months....decent pay, and I was happy. All the work is done for them now, and I find myself sitting here, wondering where my next project is coming from.

My problem is that I am a Gemini...meaning, I can't do ONE thing for any length of time...yes, I am VERY creative, love to try new things, and such...but I get bored easily. I am well aware of this, and try to work WITH these traits, instead of ignoring them. I am at the point now, where I want to try something NEW. Not so much give my business up, but just give something else a shot...like writing erotica!!!!! My husband is BLOWN away by this...don't think he likes it much...but I don't care.

Writing is my passion. I've just never been able to make REGULAR money doing it..and that is what I need to do now...bring home some dough!!!! Our mortgage is going up, my son's school tuition is due...and I am NOT complaining...we ALL have our issues, our troubles, etc....but I fear that I am going to be forced to go out and be a "Welcome to McDonalds, can I take your order" person before long....

Any freelancers out there with some advice? Scarlett...any advice on getting into writing for the "adult" market? In fact, ANYONE OUT THERE NEED STUFF DONE???? Business cards, brochures, web design...you name it???????? PLEASE don't let me go out there to make egg mc muffins...I think I would die from lack of creativity!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent, everyone. I didn't mean to bitch.....I've just always been a believer in "Do what you love, love what you do...." Unfortunately, I am not DOING or LOVING anything right now!!! :( I am done bitching, and will happily get on with my day now :) (But I would LOVE any/all input or advice for you!!)

mlleyeuxbleus
08-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Irie, honey, I know the feeling... I freelance as well. Here's an idea, are you on www.guru.com? That's a great place to put yourself & examples of your work, so that people needing your skills can find you. Maybe check it out?

And I know I'm not Scarlett, but if you'd like to email me, I could give you some advice about the adult market.

IrieAllie
08-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks, love. Any and all info regarding my new niche is well appreciated :) E-mail me many [email protected]. Thanks honey!!!!