PDA

View Full Version : Religion

Whos Carl
08-22-2005, 10:05 PM
I dont want to start a huge argument about religion but doesnt it cause a shit load of deaths a year. Ireland for 1 (sorry people of the USA you might not no what im on about) Christian and protestants have been blowing the shit out of each other for decades. There is alot of religious hatred people just dislike people just cause they are from a different religion i think thats kinda bad cause isnt most religions meant to love everyone? Other examples Islamic wars, holy wars, trying to think of examples.

Killa.Kali
08-22-2005, 10:06 PM
...sucks

Whos Carl
08-22-2005, 10:07 PM
what does me or religion please explain

ermitonto
08-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Yes, it's sad how many people die of religion every year. How many people have ever killed in the name of atheism? Practically none, if any.

Whos Carl
08-22-2005, 10:08 PM
thought people would hate me for this thread but u proved me wrong cheers just thinkin about it all this bullshit about cannabis and alcohol killin loads of people think about how many have died due to religion

Killa.Kali
08-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Religion ^.^ not you :p

tokosan
08-22-2005, 10:14 PM
yes, religeon sucks. As stoners we know that. Next question!

ermitonto
08-22-2005, 10:16 PM
It's not just "old news". It is current news, ongoing news. People are dying of religion every day. Just because it has been happening for a while does not mean it's any less important now. People need to be talking about it, finding solutions and enacting them.

Optimus Pot
08-22-2005, 10:17 PM
It's these religious faggots who keep voting for Bush that are ruining this country!

jennybean
08-22-2005, 11:27 PM
The amount of hatard and death that results from religion is disgusting. Wherever it is these people think they wind up because of their intolerance of others I don't want to be there. They can drive up to the pearly gates in their Hummer's sporting those magentic ribbons and I'll smoke a joint and ride a bike down to hell.

mellow mood
08-22-2005, 11:29 PM
religion doest kill ppl, humans do

ermitonto
08-22-2005, 11:34 PM
But religion motivates them to kill. Throughout history, organized religion has made people feel they are entitled to impose their morality on others, even if it means by punishment of death. It is not so much religion that is the problem as organized religion, that is, institutions designed to tell people what to think and how to live.

mellow mood
08-22-2005, 11:40 PM
not true buddy

all depends on their interpretation of the religion

religion (and im not religious) has many good sides. they can make ppl good persons just as much as bad persons. religion doesnt tell how to live or what to do. we call that a sect

when u fall into extremism than u have a problem

Nochowderforyou
08-22-2005, 11:42 PM
I, hate religion. This is why:

#1: I grew up in a Catholic household. Very religious parents. Yet, both of them were the biggest fuckin hypocrits. First off, my dad, was a pisstank. He would beat me and my bro. senseless for shit HE fucked up in life. My brother suffers from minor memory loss and I suffer from depression. Thanks dad.

#2: Look at some of the stories you read about in the newspapers. Search around on the net for "insane religious junkies", for cases where mothers kill their children because they are possesed by the devil, God told them to do it and wanted them dead. What about Fathers? I've never heard of so many child molestation cases because those fucks can get away with it.

#3: Are you blind? Look at the middle East. "Thou shall not kill", yet those people there are killing, torturing, and burning people alive, women and children, for having different religious beliefs.

Religion is so full of hypocrisy it isn't even funny. These people claim to folow God, yet they judge me negatively when I buy a HT mag(isn't there something about not judging one another...?), they kill one another, rob one another. It's a joke. Think about how the middle East would be without all of that killing? It might actually be nice.

God didn't create earth. It was here long ago when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

mellow mood
08-22-2005, 11:49 PM
again, they make a bad interpretation of the sacred books.

they take some metaphores by the book.

anyway i understand why u hate religions. but think bout it: would the world be better without religion? would the world be better if nobody would beleive in something? if nobody would rely or have hope? i dont think so..

colton
08-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Its true religion does give people hope and that has to be a good thing but it also causes great misery - just look at these muslim nutters who blow themselves up

mellow mood
08-23-2005, 12:12 AM
true too buddy

dirty raider
08-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Surely religion in esence is a good thing, iot teaches people basic morality however some people juyst use it as an oppertunity to hate.

thcbongman
08-23-2005, 12:21 AM
I use to be an athiest.

I use to believe that there god does not exist, and how religion causes hatred around the world.

But I found a sense of sprituality through my psychedelic journies. I believe there is a god, but it's not how man interprets god.

God to me, is the energy from all of nature, and from within yourself. It's a hard concept to understand, however every single major religion, has reiterated this in their scriptures, but the philosophies have been interpreted and tweaked for so long, the message the originators tried to convey has been lost. It's like a game of telephone if you played it when you are younger. The beginning does not meet the ends.

Intention of religion has been distorted and twisted for personal gain from one man to another. People try to hid behind religion as their reasoning to commit and justify sin. People use religion as a platform to have people listen to their ideas, and claim it's righteous.

Religion is not the cause of hatred. Man is the cause of hatred. Because it's man, not god who injects ideas to people.

People point blame on many things why they commit attorcities, or hate. But it's avoiding the point of truth. The common denominator is hate, the mindset is the same.

I'm a buddhist now. Note that buddhists do not have missionaries, and has spread through those that wanted to find answers to the unsolvable life questions of mankind. They encourage going to learn about other religions and learn their gospel, scriptures, whatever. I choose to believe it, because I believe in my heart, the teachings are true and genuine. But everyone else can choose to believe what they want. I don't remember the last time buddhists were involved in a war in the past 500 years.

The division caused by people is through ignorant views, and thinking errors. Religion is hardly the cause. It's only a platform to hide behind. It's these behaviors of mankind that will continue until people stop hiding behind different philosophies to justify hate. Selfishness and hate is the cause of all our problems.

mellow mood
08-23-2005, 01:41 AM
i like buddhist. but i dont see why u say u beleive in god. buhddists doesnt "beleive" in god, because they know it is too complicated for humans to understand it. they allow the possibility of his existence, without being sure of it. which i find pretty good

mvolta
08-23-2005, 02:42 AM
i like buddhist. but i dont see why u say u beleive in god. buhddists doesnt "beleive" in god, because they know it is too complicated for humans to understand it. they allow the possibility of his existence, without being sure of it. which i find pretty good
its a nice idea, but one of the five precepts of buddhism is to "refrain from intoxicating drugs."

F L E S H
08-23-2005, 02:12 PM
again, they make a bad interpretation of the sacred books.

they take some metaphores by the book.

anyway i understand why u hate religions. but think bout it: would the world be better without religion? would the world be better if nobody would beleive in something? if nobody would rely or have hope? i dont think so..
Without a doubt, without question, the world would be a better place without religion. If that happened, humanity would turn to a sadly under-used faculty, Reason. People would simply use reason and simple logic, and right off the bat the world would be a better place.

weirdo79
08-23-2005, 06:03 PM
hear hear Flesh!

100% agree with you. The Panacea of the Masses (religion) is truly a placebo. Reason and Logic are the only things we should consider when scientifically or objectivally (as possible) looking at the world and the universe. Imaginary fairies and such is pointless people. If you laugh at Santa Claus but worship an invisible man in the clouds....Well I'm pretty sure you wouldnt figure out what im getting at there.... So I'll be blunt instead of hinting. Santa is as real as any of your gods....If "yahweh/jehovah/god" exists then so does , Zeus, So does every other god or goddess (after all why did god say have no other gods before me .......Even it told you there was more...yet you still laugh at polytheists). Personally I pity you all(all religious ppl)........Take responsibility for your actions, and base your morals upon experience logic and reason, Not some 2000 year old fairy tale (or 8000 year old as the case may be for some religions he he)

I swear the next person who seriously tries to state that evolution is false and that the bible is true, I seriously , seriously hope you don't breed ever. Because spreading such idiocy is counter productive to our development as a species. So please do us all a favour all you people who fear so much you need an invisible person protecting you.

Die out....Believe in darwin! Natural Selection baby!......You ever notice that religion is on the decline....I wonder why that is. Oh wait! because all of their holy books (ALL!) of any religion have been debunked.....my bad.

Not believing in religion does not mean an abscence of spirituality. Just the statement that I dont claim to know for sure what DOES happen , Just I'm sure as hell what doesnt.....If I tell you invisible pink unicorns live in the afterlife and you will be one but your blue.....Doesnt make it true people. And, thats all religion has ever done is told you....Never ever , ever showed you. Thats called schizophrenia....If you do claim to have seen god.....why do you ask would I "ASS+U+ME" this? Couldnt it be that maybe god picked you because your "Special", but not any atheists? Nope, because apparently god had no problem showing its mighty powers all over before camera's and recording devides were made.....What an ironic coincidence, Maybe it has a phobia of being recorded...

Besides the message of most religions is convert the masses. Save their souls! Problem is theres never even one scrap of evidence to support their claims. It's unfortunate but true. Hell I'd love to see a "God" of any sort. And, im pretty sure (just assuming here) that somewhere in this universe there is life we would call "gods". But do I say for sure.....Nope....Why because im an atheist and have no proof. Unlike religious people I wont claim I know for sure because my parents and a 2000 year old contradictory book told me....

I prefer science over fancy....

NightProwler
08-23-2005, 06:39 PM
religion is a waste of time...

robert42
08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
"I believe man made god
Out of ignorance and fear
if got made man then why
the hell would he put us here?
i thought he was supposed
to be the all loving
the same god that let hitler
put the jews in the oven"

andy704
08-23-2005, 07:21 PM
i dont know if im catholic or what. well i am catholic but i hate going to church, its boring. i sit out during church. my parents used to make me but now they just gave up and i sit outside for an hour during mass. i took a bible class and learned that the only reason we are here is to make kids for god. wtf?! im confused. i dont know what i want to believe. i dont see how there is a god. but in the inside, i am scared to say there is no god and i am really scared of what will happen after death. somehow, no matter what i do, i still believe there is a heaven and a hell. im too confused.

robert42
08-23-2005, 07:24 PM
believe in the aspects of religion u want

i made my own religion where u:

DONT NEED TO WORK TO BE A MAN
CAN SMOKE WEED FREELY
REALISE THE REAL MEANING OF LIFE
GIVE TO GOD WHAT HE HAS GIVEN TO YOU
PRAY TO DAVID CHAPPELLE WHILST FACING THE GROUND

Join my cult!

Button Basher
08-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Join my cult!

I'm in, as long as I can be witch doctor :cool: !

Mojavpa
08-24-2005, 03:52 PM
not true buddy

all depends on their interpretation of the religion

religion (and im not religious) has many good sides. they can make ppl good persons just as much as bad persons. religion doesnt tell how to live or what to do. we call that a sect

when u fall into extremism than u have a problem

I agree. Even if there was no religion, other institutions would take its place and we would still see the same problems again of greed, propaganda, power being held by a few people. Just look at capitalism and how many atheists (and non-atheists) were touting it.

I think if so many people werent dying of poverty in the world, people wouldnt be as drawn to religious extremism. If anything, religious extremism is a symptom of an uneven distribution of wealth, especally in the Middle East, where fundamentalism sprang up bigtime after the colonial era. People who are ravaged by military occupation and have little to eat and feel like their voices arent being heard in a totalitarian governmenmt will more likely become extremists.

Fengzi
08-24-2005, 06:30 PM
The problem with religion is that each religion teaches its member that they are right. Therefore, those that are not members of that religion are wrong. This right and wrong wrong is not the "I got the math problem right and you got it wrong, now lets go eat a pizza" kind of right and wrong. It is the "I am right, I am a believer of the one true faith, I shall go to heaven" kind of right and "You are not rigth and a beleiver of the one true faith, you shall not go to heaven" kind of wrong. It can then be concluded that those that are not believers and who will not go to heaven are "evil" and therefore the enemies of those will. Remember the word used to decribe the crusaders as they went to conquer the unbelievers. They were the "Rightous"

Religion teaches its members to be close minded. "You are right, they are wrong. Peroid!" no further need for discussion. As a general rule the more "religous" a person is the more close minded they are. This close mindedness tends to transfer over to their general life as well and it becomes very difficult for these people to admit that they are wrong about anything. If they are wrong about one thing they could be wrong about religion and this simply isn't acceptable. Therefore, its simply easier to believe they are never wrong.

Of coure I do not mean to say that this applies to everyone that believes in God and that anyone who goes to church on Sunday is a close minded ass. Just that this issue of "right and wrong" is what is fundementally wrong with religion.

ermitonto
08-24-2005, 07:36 PM
??Even if God really existed, it would be necessary to abolish him.? ??Mikhail Bakunin

Button Basher
08-24-2005, 08:37 PM
??Even if God really existed, it would be necessary to abolish him.? ??Mikhail Bakunin

Why? That doesn't make sense. If God was real, there'd be no debating religion.l :confused:

Fengzi
08-24-2005, 08:44 PM
^Because God is an authority figure and authority figures can't be tolerated by anarchists.

Anarchy, another load of BS that stinks just as bad as religion.

mrdevious
08-25-2005, 12:41 AM
its a nice idea, but one of the five precepts of buddhism is to "refrain from intoxicating drugs."

"refrain from mind altering drugs" is the exact term. however, the only mind altering drugs (that I'm aware of) in ancient india were opium and alchohol, both very negative things (cannabis was a medicine). it's even been said that the buddha lived on cannabis seeds during fasting meditations. plus, buddhism preaches against rigid doctrine. buddha simply laid out the path to enlightenment, and said himself he discourages blind faith and encourages followers to try what he recommends and verrify it for themselves. you don't necessarily have to follow every single rule to the dot to be a buddhist, but so long as you're working hard to improve yourself spiritually and live virtuously. many buddhist sects actually incorporated marijuana into their practices in fact.

ermitonto
08-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Why? That doesn't make sense. If God was real, there'd be no debating religion.l :confused:

Because if God was real, or any kind of Supreme Master, that would make mankind a slave. And judging by his record of human rights in the Bible, I think it's safe to say he's unfit to be dictator of the universe.

Psycho4Bud
08-25-2005, 03:56 AM
Because if God was real, or any kind of Supreme Master, that would make mankind a slave. And judging by his record of human rights in the Bible, I think it's safe to say he's unfit to be dictator of the universe.

NO SHIT!!! HEY NOAH, go grab two of everything...IT'S JIHAD TIME!!!!!!!!

WalkaWalka
08-26-2005, 02:43 AM
Organized religion is a scourge
even if the cuase is good the means are evil.
The person is smart the people are dumb