PDA

View Full Version : Rasterfarion?

Proof
05-30-2004, 09:01 PM
i duno if i have spelt that correctly but hmm i wanna no how to become one of these?!? what do i have to do ?!?! haha apart from smoke shit loads of weed:)

peace

duppy man
05-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Rastafarians live a peaceful life, needing little material possessions and devote much time to contemplating the scriptures. They reject the white man's world, as the new age Babylon of greed and dishonesty. Proud and confident Rastas even though they are humble will stand up for their rights. Rastas let their hair grow natually into dreadlocks, in the image of the lion of Judah. Six out of ten Jamaicans are believed to be Rastafarians or Rastafarian sympathizers. The total following is believed to be over 1000 000 worldwide. 1975 to the present has been the period of the most phenomenal growth for the Rastafarian Movement. This growth is largely attributed to Bob Marley, reggae artist, and the worldwide acceptance of reggae as an avenue of Rastafarian self-expression. Marley became a prophet of Rastafarianism in 1975. The movement spread quickly in the Caribbean and was hugely attractive to the local black youths, many of whom saw it as an extension of their adolescent rebellion from school and parental authority. With it came some undesirable elements, but all true Rastas signify peace and pride and righteousness.this my man is only a brief insight..Ja,,with you

maryjanemama
05-31-2004, 12:07 AM
Just wondering, knew lots of rastas in my youth,(once dated and lived with a guest guitar player in Black Uhuru) and, as far as I remember, the rastas had lots of women, but they would choose one woman to live with and have children with, calling her "baby mama". Is my memory accurate? And if so, is this a common practice? I was just trying to remember..that's all...thanks.

duppy man
06-05-2004, 05:27 PM
I have some distant recollection of that practice I do know Rastas have more than one woman for diff.purposes cooking, soul partner, and most likley Baby Mama...

Wacky
06-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Do a search in Google for Rasta Nicks forum, theres lots of information about Rasta'a there.

maryjanemama
06-12-2004, 10:27 PM
I checked out Rasta Nick's forums and the role that women play in the Rasta religion are to be servants to their men. They are for child-bearing, making the food, cleaning, so on. YIKES!

Wacky
06-12-2004, 11:41 PM
I think i'll become a rastafarian, sounds like Heaven:)

D12
06-13-2004, 11:15 PM
lol i was thinkin the same thing a girl for each job and smoking lots of weed sounds good to me!! where would u start off though if u wanted to be one?

D12
06-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Takes u guys a long time to post :P!!!

maryjanemama
06-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Uuum, first off you have to be black. So, if you are then visit Rasta Nick's forum and I'm sure you'll find whatever information you need. If you can't find the info in the forums, then you can email Nick with any questions. And if you are white, then you can still visit the forums for info but you won't be able to become a true Rasta, just a wanna-be (which I'm sure is very disrespectful of Rasta religion!).

HvyFuel
06-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Religious racists, how novel.

peace :)

maryjanemama
06-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Yeah, Hvy Fuel, you're right, but I'm sure they're not the first. Part of the Rasta religion is breaking free from the white world, which they feel has repressed them since the beginning of slavery. Slavery worldwide, not just US. So, a white person could not truely become a Rasta because they are in fact who the Rasta is trying to escape from. On Nick Rasta's forum, there are whites were raised in Rasta households (due to adoption, so on) but I don't know how they aren't totally confused about who they are.

True Rastas are vegetarians and do not believe in heaven or hell. It's not a religion that you can step right in to because you think smoking cannabis and being superior to your wife would be cool. It would be like trying to become Amish!

smokey
06-14-2004, 02:05 PM
i know it is against a rastas religion to not give blood too. cool idea if u ever get a blood drug test :D

knottyganjagirl
06-16-2004, 01:45 AM
I just noticed this thread...

read my thread, if you'd like to learn a bit more...more than myths anyway.
True, Rastafari is a movement of liberation of black ppl. BUT, it is more about the unity of all man-kind. For we are ALL origional desendents of Africa. Africa is the Birthplace of humanity, relgion, culture, science & technology.
It's not about race or color AT ALL!!! H.I.M. Haile Selassie I, proclaimed, "We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ulitmate alligence not to nations, but to our fellow men w/in the human community."

Not only that, but it is against the teachings of H.I.M. Haile Selassie I to question the faith of others. "No one should question the faith of others, for no human being can judge the ways of God." These are some of His more famous quotes. You'll find more on my thread, if you are interested...though it is my perspective.

Rasta is about living Ital~
In addition, I don't know many Christians who take everything literal all the time or who follow each & every sentence in every day life....I find more literal truth in the teachings of Haile Selassie I & Baha'u'llah, than the Bible. & about the mistreatment of women....there are always disagreements among members of any given faith as to what the true "way" is...just as there are Rastafarians who do not like white Rastas, because of the tendency for ppl to think of Rasta as merely an "excuse to smoke a shit load of pot"....there will always be ppl who take advantage or take things out of context. However, this IS NOT truely a Rasta principle~ it may be a tendency of some ppl who might happen to be Rasta. It is against Haile Selassie I's teachings to "capture or enslave" mentally or physically, another person, so I don't think mistreatment of women is something that He would promote or condone. I'm sure you'll find sites where Rasta's say all kinds of things!!

"If you have played no part in the capture of enslavement of Africans mentally as well as physically & accepted no benefit there of, then it is only left to consider one's humanity." H.I.M. Haile Selassie I

ONLY THROUGH JAH LOVE~ [BTW~ it's spelt JAH]

Take care, stay safe & be peacefull,
--NKGG

knottyganjagirl
06-16-2004, 01:53 AM
"Religious racists"
NO!!!!!!

That is soo wrong!
Read what H.I.M. teaches b4 you prejudge!!

It's about breaking free of SLAVERY & BABYLON~

which happened to be a European White Man creation...Rasta teaches that BABYLON is an evil society...full of bondage, greed, judgement, RACISIM & slavery!! ALL white creations. Not all white ppl are greedy, judgemental or racist...I know none w/ slaves...Rasta is about having a clean, honest, pure heart! & being KIND, working to UNITE all cultures, rather than to DIVIDE them!

Ganja is a sacred herb. It is healing, it heals society. An impt. gift from JAH.

TRY TO BE GENTLE W/ ONE ANOTHER!!
Take care, stay safe & be peacefull!
--NKGG

HvyFuel
06-16-2004, 09:41 AM
So you're saying maryjane was wrong and a white man can be a true Rasta?

maryjanemama
06-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Knottyganjagirl, I'm glad to meet someone who knows what she's talking about. I'm going by what I've learned by Rastas I've known and what information I've read. But, isn't it true that a white person cannot become a true Rasta? I mean we can follow the religion but why would we want to? Wasn't the whole beginning of Rastafrianism (I'm not sure if that is a word) meant as a revolt against white oppresion? I'm not trying to be disrepectful at all, I am just trying to understand.

Leftover Crack
06-21-2004, 10:02 PM
I think a white person can definatly become a true Rasta, it doesnt matter about the colour of your particular skin. The whole belief is based upon getting away from white oppression and the whole white lifestyle. Just becuase you are white doesn't mean you supported slavery or even live the stereotypical white lifestyle. It's what's inside that matters, and i believe whites can become true Rastas.

It's like saying all black people love fried chicken and are ignorant. It's not true. Not all whites act like stereotypical "whites", so you can become Rasta if it is what you truley believe in. The color of your skin shouldn't matter.

Dauru
07-25-2004, 06:06 PM
True Rastafari....
http://rastafari.unn13.com

kingkaya
07-27-2004, 11:21 AM
first of all,the black nation unlike caucasians have never been predominantly prejudiced, rasta faith is not a faith for races or trybes but a universal community of brethren dedicated to abstaining from and fighting oppression,manipulation and slavery of both the mental and physical state.the early rastas were against thewhite bureaucratic institution people only because of the harm that class inflicted on generation of africans not solely because of skincolor,even in jamaica,native rastafarians oppose an autocratic and oppresive state,a true believer seeks to manifest his inner light and never judges the next man,there are a lot of cultural differences in the practice of rastafarianism,but the universal truth of good and evil,babylon and zion,light and darkness,ital and impure will stand forever,they may apply differently to individuals though, in my sect white,green,yellow,black or red faithfuls are taken into the brotherhood,only conditionality is the joint resolve to be emancipated from babylon and fly to zion,the faith is not all about smokin ganja.[QUOTE]

Creeper
08-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Werent the black people in africa the first to enslave their own people?......
And science and all the stuff one of you mentioned didnt start in africa actually it started in asia... And if they dont let white people become Rasta, then Im gonna start a religion with only white people in it allowed but well be carnivors and not veggie heads, and just smoke alot of reefer and wrship the Cannabis plant :D

naturalmystic
08-11-2004, 07:48 PM
then Im gonna start a religion with only white people in it allowed but well be carnivors and not veggie heads, and just smoke alot of reefer and wrship the Cannabis plant

what would that accomplish, besides making you feel big. I don't mean to 'nay-say' and i dunno if that was a joke, but if we're trying to unite the world, that only segregates

RhymePhysics
08-25-2004, 02:52 AM
i duno if i have spelt that correctly but hmm i wanna no how to become one of these?!? what do i have to do ?!?! haha apart from smoke shit loads of weed:)

peace

you cannot just become one. Jah will call you.

RhymePhysics
08-25-2004, 02:56 AM
Uuum, first off you have to be black. So, if you are then visit Rasta Nick's forum and I'm sure you'll find whatever information you need. If you can't find the info in the forums, then you can email Nick with any questions. And if you are white, then you can still visit the forums for info but you won't be able to become a true Rasta, just a wanna-be (which I'm sure is very disrespectful of Rasta religion!).

Rastafari is not based on color. I am caucasian and was called by God in the name of Rastafari to serve him. You would never know (baldheaded) until i took off my clothes and you saw my body covered in Ethiopian tattoos.

royal
08-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Werent the black people in africa the first to enslave their own people?......
And science and all the stuff one of you mentioned didnt start in africa actually it started in asia... And if they dont let white people become Rasta, then Im gonna start a religion with only white people in it allowed but well be carnivors and not veggie heads, and just smoke alot of reefer and wrship the Cannabis plant :D :mad: U sound lik someone who used to put on some white sheets tryin to impersonate a ghost,whilst u blasphemed by burnin a cross;marchin down the ghetto whilst u cowardly tortured black mothers and their children just bcoz u were shit scared of their strength and culture.Read (Ras)king kaya's forum,u might pick up something with morals and an understanding of Jahovah's way of life,co-exist with yo fellow man.FYI;the mans name is Tafari Mackonnen thus Ras Tafari and he made his place in history,who do u think will follow a pig-head lik u.im ashamed to know that theres someone who smokes Sensi,with the same Red Skin Ass ideas lik yos.Hail to the King His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I.PS:I didnt mean to sound harsh its just that i loath ignorance and numbskulls.I n I r a proud African n a RasTa youth. :D Now do lets smoke in Peace n Harmony,the RasTa way.never get yo wires crossed or else u'll burn Babylon man.

royal
08-25-2004, 12:21 PM
I just noticed this thread...

read my thread, if you'd like to learn a bit more...more than myths anyway.
True, Rastafari is a movement of liberation of black ppl. BUT, it is more about the unity of all man-kind. For we are ALL origional desendents of Africa. Africa is the Birthplace of humanity, relgion, culture, science & technology.
It's not about race or color AT ALL!!! H.I.M. Haile Selassie I, proclaimed, "We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ulitmate alligence not to nations, but to our fellow men w/in the human community."

Not only that, but it is against the teachings of H.I.M. Haile Selassie I to question the faith of others. "No one should question the faith of others, for no human being can judge the ways of God." These are some of His more famous quotes. You'll find more on my thread, if you are interested...though it is my perspective.

Rasta is about living Ital~
In addition, I don't know many Christians who take everything literal all the time or who follow each & every sentence in every day life....I find more literal truth in the teachings of Haile Selassie I & Baha'u'llah, than the Bible. & about the mistreatment of women....there are always disagreements among members of any given faith as to what the true "way" is...just as there are Rastafarians who do not like white Rastas, because of the tendency for ppl to think of Rasta as merely an "excuse to smoke a shit load of pot"....there will always be ppl who take advantage or take things out of context. However, this IS NOT truely a Rasta principle~ it may be a tendency of some ppl who might happen to be Rasta. It is against Haile Selassie I's teachings to "capture or enslave" mentally or physically, another person, so I don't think mistreatment of women is something that He would promote or condone. I'm sure you'll find sites where Rasta's say all kinds of things!!

"If you have played no part in the capture of enslavement of Africans mentally as well as physically & accepted no benefit there of, then it is only left to consider one's humanity." H.I.M. Haile Selassie I

ONLY THROUGH JAH LOVE~ [BTW~ it's spelt JAH]

Take care, stay safe & be peacefull,
--NKGG ;) its nicer than a joint of sensi to see that a Woizero lik u is there to guide some Brethrens out of their misconceptions.Its a pity though that we cant sit down and chat over a session of some nice Ganja heads.A queen as cultured as u is every true RasTA mans dream,big up the faith Princess,anyway good research work.Ritenow i'll smoke one for u and hope that you acknowledge the compliment.ta taa! :)

EuLibra
08-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Nice thread.. I was looking into Rastafari for a while. I'm only 15, and am on the way of purging myself of hate. That is why I don't follow anything my race has accomplished(I'm white). I might take a few quotes by a few leaders into mind, just because of the way they celebrate the human opportunism(Those who will sacrafise freedom for security deserve neither - Jefferson). I doubt I would ever get accepted into the Rastafari community, but it sounds like something for me. Maybe not Rasta, but something similiar. I want to be in a culture that doesn't base life on what you see on your cox cabel television set, and doesn't promote anything that will underscore another.

Peace \\//

naturalmystic
08-26-2004, 01:51 AM
have you looked into pagan? I'm 16, and im just really confused about a lot of things right now. the human race really bothers me. I just wish it weren't so complicated, and people weren't so ignorant. I wish people could just think for themselves instead of letting a book (bible) tell them what to do. If you think about it, it seems kind of lame, maybe thousands of years ago, someone was smoking weed, wrote the bible and now millions maybe billions of people are worshipping it. When its all said and done, religion was just a way to control the masses, control the people. get them to do what you want them to do. And i think it was certainly affective. I like to lean towards the ideals of rastafarion, their lifestyle seems very simple, but from what i hear, they do not except caucasion people, you have to be black, that sort of bothers me,

HvyFuel
08-26-2004, 10:39 AM
EuLibra & naturalmystic - It sounds to me like you're both describing Buddhism. Have a read.......
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

ps. I'm not Buddhist btw but it's a way of life I have great respect for.

EuLibra
08-26-2004, 06:14 PM
"â?¢ What are the 5 Precepts?

The moral code within Buddhism is the precepts, of which the main five are: not to take the life of anything living, not to take anything not freely given, to abstain from sexual misconduct and sensual overindulgence, to refrain from untrue speech, and to avoid intoxication, that is, losing mindfulness."

Hm.. I thought that Buddha spent 7 years in a forest in asia somewhere, eating mushrooms?.. maybe that was just a story from one of my stoner friends. Oh well.. very interesting though. Thanks for the link :o)