PDA

View Full Version : My closet cabinet setup

stickygreenlightsabr
08-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Again I'd like to thank Zandor for the template for this setup.

Dimensions are 5'x2'x2', which is half the size of my closet, made from pallet wood.

Here are initial pictures of the cabinet being built...

stickygreenlightsabr
08-06-2005, 11:05 PM
4" inline fan goes in for air intake. Cabinet is sanded, lookin good...

stickygreenlightsabr
08-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Mylar was glued to plastic boards and then fitted inside cabinet. Inside of cabiet was taped up (after it had been filled with silicone).

stickygreenlightsabr
08-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Cabinet goes in closet! 125W 6500K CFL installed with reflector (I also have a 2700K that will be installing for a total of 250W CFL).

Temperatures soared inside cabinet, almost 100 with the door closed. Bought AC unit and McGuyver'd it to feed inline fan. Temps are happy again at 75!

I have the passive exhaust (carbon scrubber) yet to finish. After that, I will seal the door from all light leaks and purchase an oscillaring fan.

Will post later once everything is complete!

stickygreenlightsabr
08-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Forgot to add that the cabinet was later varnished and further sanded to give it that not-so-stoner-ghetto look. The AC is a Haier 5000 BTU window unit.

"No, you can't look inside my vintage armoire. No, that's not an AC hooked up to it".

HARDDON
08-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Wow!

What a transition....

What looked like an outhouse is now an awesum grow room.

Nice job!

I would advise one thing on your lighting...

The 2700K bulb isnt gonna do the plants a whole lot of good until flower season starts. You would be so much better off with another 6400K. It would double your grow at least I estimate.

THose bulbs are the greatest....

But the 2700K bulb just isnt gonna give your babies the blast one more of the others one would....

Just something to consider......

I think you did a greaaaaat job!

How much heat does the AC unit put out and sorry but I coudnt see...

where is the exhuast located?

thanks

stickygreenlightsabr
08-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words and advise HARDON.

I asked Zandor if it would be beneficial to run both bulbs and he said that mixing lights was a good thing. I still plan on buying a pair of 42W 6500K bulbs to help with side lighting during veg.

So you wouldn't run both during veg? What about while flowering? My budget wont allow another 125W bulb + socket at the moment.

If you say the 2700K bulb won't do any good until flower, how do some people only use HPS from start to finish? No offense, just wondering.

The heat off the AC unit is very tolerable at 1/3 power, which is what I'm running. I can double check temps later when I get back. I crack the closet open a few inches with a fan blowing air out and then a 20" box fan installed in the window is furiously sucking air out of the entire room.

The passive exhaust will be located on the top section of the cabinet. It will be sandwiched like this...

grate
furnace filter
activated carbon
furnace filter
^ air flow
|

You can see the uninstalled filters just chillin on top of the white grate in one of the pics. Damn, I wrote a lot... must be because I haven't smoked Her Majesty.

Zandor
08-07-2005, 05:31 PM
HPS start to finish use Hortilux bulbs.
Enhanced Spectrum High Pressure Sodium bulbs are color shifted to product more blue than a standard HPS bulb. This makes them great for "one bulb grows all" lighting. They have great red spectrum making them a good flowering bulb, and additional blue spectrum making them an effective vegetative growth bulb, keeping the stems from elongating which can happen with standard HPS bulbs during vegetative growth.

That's what they say. Yes I use them now my self.

Zandor
08-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Great job on the grow box too btw

weedracer119
08-08-2005, 05:52 AM
pretty sweet man. i like how you showed every step you took. just curious but how many plants are you going to plan on growing. i hope your grow goes as good as your grow box looks. good luck.

stickygreenlightsabr
08-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys. I plan to start off with 4 seedlings and will most likely keep one female for my first attempt.

I'd like to ultimately use this cabinet for a mother box once I can setup an HPS closet setup.

AngryJohnny
08-08-2005, 02:44 PM
does that AC not need to be vented outdoors?

is it not a window unit?

HARDDON
08-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Angry Jon i was wondering the same thing...

You are venting the AC heat right into the regular room and no problems?

Hmmmm.......

How about sweating, or dripping of water vapor off those fin coils...none of that either?

Fuck I bought one just like it and never opened the fricking box becusae I was too lazy to deal with it.

SABER....

As far as an HPS bulb running along with your other bulb.....

If your bulb is a standard HPS and not ahortilux or anything like that, no, I wouldnt use it during veg.

It will only encourage elongation of nodal length while your other bulb tries to prevent it. Come flower time your pants will love it......but during veg, I think its just a waste of electricity.

People DO veg and flower with HPS but you just look at the results and see the difference.

It is not an optimal light for vegging. Better than a reg. light bulb yes...

stickygreenlightsabr
08-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Let me give a better description of what I did...

Yes it is a window unit ( http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=84590-48713-HWF05XC5&lpage=none ).

I bent flexible metal wire into the rectangular shape of the AC vent. I then grabbed the dryer hose initially installed inside the cabinet, punched 8 small holes around the rim, and then bent wire between them to make a cage shape. Then I wrapped it with saran wrap to get the shape better then with clear packaging tape to make it sturdy. The cage is secured to the AC with tape on 2 of the 4 sides (incase pressure needs to escape). The other end of the hose is duct taped to the cabinet, temporarily unless I get lazy. Condensation builds up inside the "cage" and the hose gets cold and wet.

The closet is cracked opened 1-2" and the heat is being vented into the regular room. If I put my leg next to the crack I can feel the nice heat coming out. The regular room has only one large window where I installed a 20" box fan venting out that sucks harder than a Tijuana hooker.

Conclusion:
AC unit at 3/10 power (after 1 hour)
125W 6500K CFL shining with probe 2" away
Window box fan med power
Cabinet temp: 65
Cabinet humidity: 60%
Closet temp: 87 (using no fan to vent into room, will add later)
Room temp: 79
Ambient temp: 84

stickygreenlightsabr
08-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Oh, and you can't hear a thing even if you're standing next to the closet.

Wert
08-10-2005, 10:24 AM
i may be retarded but all the mylar ive ever seen is white and that doesnt look too white to me... are there different types of mylar?

Zandor
08-10-2005, 03:38 PM
i may be retarded but all the mylar ive ever seen is white and that doesnt look too white to me... are there different types of mylar?
They may make Mylar in white but we use Myalr with a silver refelective proterty. Panda Plastic is white on one side and black on the other side you may be thinking of that.

no1169nn
10-12-2007, 08:56 PM
nice grow cabinet, it takes being creative to get a nice grow room.

MVP
10-14-2007, 06:26 PM
I like the McGyver'd AC unit, that is pretty impressive... and no noise? wow...

pudder
10-16-2007, 01:14 AM
I think that is awsome. I just built one myself but so far like your much better. I had trouble finding mylar for mine though. I think that it gives it that visual effect ya know what I mean. Where did you buy it and how much was it? maybe you know something that I don't.

pudder
10-16-2007, 03:21 AM
wanna see the crop if you got any pics??????

smokinbomb
10-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Inside Sun - Shop Now (http://www.insidesun.com/store.php?dpid=search&term=mylar)

heres some mylar -Bomb

sweet cab :thumbsup:

ephlaxplaya21
10-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Amazing. the only way i could put it.

If you could make me one of those. I'd be all over it.

dnlfacundo
11-13-2007, 08:16 AM
you can go ahead and throw those 6400 cfls in there and it will give the plants a full spectrum but i would edvise you to just use them for veg and leave the others to flower.Dam temps 100f man you should have just gottin a exuast blower it might have been cheaper than that ac unit.if you had the exuast at the top it would probaply be better because heat travels up and the fan will pull it out in 4 minutes.You wouldnt have to worry about intake because the vent will pull the air threw the bottom hole were you have the ac intake.But you lookin good boy maybe later on you can make another smaller cabinet for a vegging and leave that one for flowering.