PDA

View Full Version : True or false?

Wingnutter
05-25-2004, 12:09 PM
One of my mates told me yesterday that the only ever recorded death 'directly' linked to cannabis occured recently. He couldn't remember where or who - just how.

Apparantly, some guy toked and ate so much in a short space of time that he fell asleep and suffocated...his brain actually forgetting how to breath while he slept he was that fucked.

I always thought it was impossible to do...like even if you sat and tried to eat shite loads you'd fall asleep before any where near a lethal amount? Anyway, can't find anything at all online...so it's most probably a nugget of bull shit.

maryjanemama
05-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Probably. He may have also had some other breathing problems, like sleep apnea to begin with. People with sleep apnea "forget to breath" while they sleep. That's what probably happened and, of course, everyone would blame it on the weed.

This are the kinds of stories that people like your friend like to believe...it just propagates the idea that mari is bad and sets legalization back.

Wingnutter
05-25-2004, 12:57 PM
I see what you're saying - but that would be indirect surely? If the guy had sleep apnea - thats what killed him, not the cannabis. Blaming it on weed would then just be bare face lies to achieve the goals you mention above.

Anyway, clears it up for me all the same. He died as a result of his illness/disorder and not the cannibis.

HvyFuel
05-25-2004, 08:04 PM
From what I've read he had two joints worth of cannabiniods in his bloodstream and if that killed him he's the first in 5000 years of use.

Some light reading...

http://www.norml.org.nz/article383.html

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/PO0401/S00065.htm

http://www.nzdf.org.nz/update/messages/2372.htm

Oregon Green Free
06-02-2004, 06:00 AM
weedfan
how is it ok to grow but not smoke?

I don't mean to pry.

nhhomegrowngirl
06-04-2004, 10:19 PM
hey, take a look at what you know about this story...he heard it froma friend, but doesn't know when, where, or to who it happened... sounds like a pile of crap to me...;)

Boojum
06-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Utterly false. I posted a message in the politics & legal section around the time of the first reefer madness story about a "cannabis death" - Lee Maisey. You can check it out here (http://boards.cannabis.com/showthread.php?t=36) . Since then there's been a further report of a cannabis death in UK newspapers, local papers printing this :
A CORONER issued a stark warning on the use of 'recreational' cannabis at an inquest into the death of a popular teenager.

Speaking at Hastings Magistrate Court on Wednesday, coroner Alan Craze said: "I know a lot of people take the view that cannabis is harmless.
"I do not think people realise what people use as a pastime, or for recreation, is putting themselves in jeopardy of mental illness."
The inquest heard smoking cannabis dragged 19-year-old Stephen Dengate to the depths of depression â?? and cost him his life. He was found dead at his Oxford Road home after smoking the drug and sniffing lighter fuel.
The inquest revealed the combination of the two substances had triggered fatal respiratory problems.
Stephen, affectionately known as Scooby, had been plagued by mental health problems after he started smoking the Class C drug at 11.
He had been known to self harm by cutting his arms, lash out and punch walls, resulting in mental health doctors prescribing him Prozac.
Tragically, Stephen had been getting his life back on track when he died in August 2003 â?? he was enjoying his work as a storeman at Woodgate, Rye, after moving back in with his parents Sally and Michael.
Sally, who discovered her son's body, said of his cannabis smoking: "It started at school, he was bullied, and he used it as a means of escape."
Hundreds attended Stephen's funeral last year, including friends from Xtrax, the youth recreation centre at Havelock Road, where he regularly visited.
Recording a verdict of misadventure, Mr Craze said: "There's no doubt that the death has been caused by a combination of the two drugs.
"Each one has the same effect on the body, and they have been working together.
"Had he taken one and not both together this might not have happened - the cannabis and volatile gas were too much for his body to take."
n Cannabis was controversially reclassified from a Class B drug to C in January.
It can cause a range of mental health problems from anxiety and paranoia to actual psychotic states.

in response to which I sent the coroner this :
For the attention of Alan Craze

I am writing to you with reference to your verdict and comments on the death of Stephen Dengate, as reported in Hastings Today. Are you aware, Mr Craze, that there has never, in the ten thousand year plus history of human cannabis use, been one single verifiable death due to cannabis use. Are you aware that there is not even an established LD50 for cannabis in humans. I guess not, otherwise you would not have reached your conclusion, nor made the ludacrous statement to the court. Have you read the report in this months Lancet commisioned by the department of health - again I assume not, since the report concludes that "Available evidence does not strongly support an important causal relation between cannabis use by young people and psychosocial harm," yet you falesly assert that cannabis users put themselves "in jeopardy of mental illness.". And finally, your unqualified verdict that the action of cannabis and solvents together caused the death - please forward to me the research evidence into the interactions and contraindications of cannabis and solvents, as I obviously missed this research which must exist and be the basis of your verdict, otherwise you are guilty of guesswork and pandering to the current political vogue of inventing cannabis deaths to justify the current legal position. If you cannot forward this evidence to me, then I would suggest you rethink your verdict, as it obviously has no basis in scientific fact.

and to the paper this :
I have already emailed the coroner regarding his incorrect verdict, now I feel I must address your appalling journalism. This is probably the most innacurate article I have read all year (and I read a lot of the reefer madness stories that are currently en vogue, so you should congratulate yourselves for reaching the very zenith of poor journalism - Piers Morgan must be headhunting you as I type). One would have hoped that the two things required in all journalistic pieces would be an unbiased opinion, and sufficient research into a subject - your article demonstrates neither. Had your reporter (and the coroner) bothered to check, you would know that current research, as published in this months Lancet, finds no causal link between cannabis and mental illness, yet your rag continues to proliferate the lies of the reefer madness brigade. The final line in the report sums up the quality of the journalism : "It can cause a range of mental health problems from anxiety and paranoia to actual psychotic states." , I would be grateful if your reporter could provide the source for this sweeping assertion, as all the research that I have read (which is all the creditable research, by the way) suggests entirely the opposite.
Shame on you for printing something more suited to the brothers Grimm than a newspaper.

suffice to say I received a response to neither, but if you keep shouting someone's eventually gonna listen ;)

Sensi Super Skunk
06-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Well i'm thinkin the only way to die and od on weed is to eat alot that u cooked with brownies, cookies, ect. But theres no way to die of only just smokin it cus you'll pass out befor u could kill yourself

HvyFuel
06-11-2004, 08:24 PM
The media tells the public how to think. After 3000 years someone died from using The Herb. Yeah, of course I believe it.

peace :)

Stoffz
06-13-2004, 11:30 PM
Boojum - love your work!

nancyrenee
06-14-2004, 01:12 AM
Yeah weed has never killed anyone. Ask your MD about it. They are usually pretty straight forward about drug use. NO ONE has ever died from smoking too much pot. The worst that could happen is you get so stoned you just pass out. Then you will just sleep for hours. Yeah no worries lol. It's all political propaganda. Just like you see the commercials on tv about how people smoke pot and then they run over little kids on bicycles at a drive through window. Or how they get into a car accident and kill themselves or someone else. I can guarantee if you had a toxicologist examine them it would show they also had alcohol in their system at the time of the accident. Remember THC stays in your blood for a while...so we are told. So I guess if I smoked a joint a week ago and I was in an accident today and killed someone.....THC is in my body...must have been the weed that caused me to lose control lol. DUMBASSES!

D12
06-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Smoking to much weed, and drinkin to much beer they all have nasty side affects so why isnt beer banned? :p

HvyFuel
06-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Nancy, watched a documentary about cannabis prohibition history the other night. They showed footage of independent tests done in the sixties proving that cannabis actually makes you a more careful driver and therefore less likely to be involved in an accident.

Anything that tells you different is government propaganda.

nancyrenee
06-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Believe me I know as well as everyone on this board knows that smoking pot makes you a better driver. I know political propaganda when I see it. I just want to know why they tell us lies when they know we know the difference. I would much rather meet a pothead on the road any day than a drunk. The only harmful effects of weed is that it can cause cancer in your mouth, throat, and lungs. Also kills brain cells and causes short term memory loss. That's it. And it doesn't really kill enough brain cells to ammount to anything. The "dumb" feeling is from short term memory loss.

LeLe420
06-14-2004, 08:07 PM
well to be honest with you all i don't beleive it but if i did i guess i have better odds of being hit by a bus , struck by lightning and thrown out a thirty story window all on the same day than the odds that i will die from the one thing that keeps me from being a class A BITCH. so i will keep on token,now pass that shit!

nancyrenee
06-14-2004, 08:47 PM
You know I'm not a rebel or anything. But I think all the stoners in the world should revolt. Isnt there something we can do that will make it hard on the government to maybe push them toward legalization? I know this is off topic but still. The only thing I can think of is to get left wing law makers in congress. But still even left wingers don't seem to be too pro legalization.

HvyFuel
06-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Most people think we're revolting already ;)

I've been accused of spamming already but you did ask...
Nancy, look up THC Ministry on google. Or look down. There is much more that people can do than just hope for liberal politicians. As long as you believe in cannabis you have a religious defence against prosecution. And that ain't spam.

nancyrenee
06-14-2004, 11:25 PM
What is the deal with everyone being paranoid about "spamming" on here? This is the worst message board by far I have ever been on for people beinge all uptight about spamming. I can see if you are totally needless in your replies but can anyone enlighten me?

Bloogleshleimens
06-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Most people think we're revolting already ;)

I've been accused of spamming already but you did ask...
Nancy, look up THC Ministry on google. Or look down. There is much more that people can do than just hope for liberal politicians. As long as you believe in cannabis you have a religious defence against prosecution. And that ain't spam.

peace :) Hey Heavy, Is that a pic of you all dressed up like a Satanic Priest or what? You didn't by any chance usurp Anton Levay's place in the Church of Satan did you. If so has their been any substantiontial increase or decrease in membership and what kind of dues do you require these days? Is everything still based on the standard tithe system or do you require micro chips to be inserted under the skin. I was just wondering cause if i ever decide to join and that's how your doing things i wonder if you can perform whole body or head amputations sucessfully or at least with minimall risk to the patient. I was only thinking, that would be rather cool, because that way as i am proceeding through the check-out at the supermarket, or whatever have you, they, or I, could just roll my head across the scanner saving them the hassel of using the handheld apparatus. No big deal one way or the other, just curious is all.

HvyFuel
06-16-2004, 09:32 AM
It's a baby with an anarchist T-shirt on, clean your specs. As far as I know the Church of Satan is still going strong but you'd have to check. And although I find your posts quite amusing there are also people on this forum who want serious answers to serious questions.

Bloogleshleimens
06-16-2004, 03:42 PM
It's a baby with an anarchist T-shirt on, clean your specs. As far as I know the Church of Satan is still going strong but you'd have to check. And although I find your posts quite amusing there are also people on this forum who want serious answers to serious questions.

Well there ya go,
Ya might as well just come on out and admit your affiliation then.

Anarchist/Antichrist

Only differance I can see is your using some archaic version of the word or something. Either that or your speeling isn't much better than mine.

HvyFuel
06-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Don't know why, probably just stoned, but Monty Python's Life of Brian sprang to mind.

"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy"

If you can make sense out of that please explain it to me.