PDA

View Full Version : medical card for depression?

lilSmokie
07-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Does anyone know if I can get a medical card for depression? I am already on 2 anti-depressants, but weed seems to help more than anything. I want to try to get a medical card but I don't know if they give them for that or how I go about getting it. Any ideas?

NOTEHOOK
07-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Don't think so, because those artificial pills are just so awesome, yea?!

Hardbud
07-31-2005, 12:29 AM
Don't think so, because those artificial pills are just so awesome, yea?!
You like pills more than chronic? :)

NOTEHOOK
07-31-2005, 02:05 AM
I forgot the </sarcasm> ;)

lilSmokie
07-31-2005, 04:01 AM
I need the pills...AND the chronic. Are you guessing or you know they dont give medical cards for depression?

NOTEHOOK
07-31-2005, 04:51 AM
I'm 90% sure they don't. Plus... you can't get medical cards (in US) anymore because of the gay ass fucking Supreme Court.

ezjim
07-31-2005, 05:06 AM
I need the pills...AND the chronic. Are you guessing or you know they dont give medical cards for depression?
notice the wording [any other illness for which marijuana provides relief.]

This initiative measure is submitted to the people in accordance with the provisions of Article II, Section 8 of the Constitution.

This initiative measure adds a section to the Health and Safety Code; therefore, new provisions proposed to be added are printed in italic type to indicate that they are new.

PROPOSED LAW

SECTION 1. Section 11362.5 is added to the Health and Safety Code, to read:
11362.5. (a) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Compassionate Use Act of 1996.
(b)(1) The people of the State of California hereby find and declare that the purposes of the Compassionate Use Act of 1996 are as follows:
(A) To ensure that seriously ill Californians have the right to obtain and use marijuana for medical purposes where that medical use is deemed appropriate and has been recommended by a physician who has determined that the person's health would benefit from the use of marijuana in the treatment of cancer, anorexia, AIDS, chronic pain, spasticity, glaucoma, arthritis, migraine, or any other illness for which marijuana provides relief.
(B) To ensure that patients and their primary caregivers who obtain and use marijuana for medical purposes upon the recommendation of a physician are not subject to criminal prosecution or sanction.
(C) To encourage the federal and state governments to implement a plan to provide for the safe and affordable distribution of marijuana to all patients in medical need of marijuana.
(2) Nothing in this section shall be construed to supersede legislation prohibiting persons from engaging in conduct that endangers others, nor to condone the diversion of marijuana for nonmedical purposes.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no physician in this state shall be punished, or denied any right or privilege, for having recommended marijuana to a patient for medical purposes.
(d) Section 11357, relating to the possession of marijuana, and Section 11358, relating to the cultivation of marijuana, shall not apply to a patient, or to a patient's primary caregiver, who possesses or cultivates marijuana for the personal medical purposes of the patient upon the written or oral recommendation or approval of a physician.
(e) For the purposes of this section, ''primary caregiver" means the individual designated by the person exempted under this section who has consistently assumed responsibility for the housing, health, or safety of that person.

SEC. 2. If any provision of this measure or the application thereof to any person or circumstance is held invalid, that invalidity shall not affect other provisions or applications of the measure that can be given effect without the invalid provision or application, and to this end the provisions of this measure are severable.

lilSmokie
07-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks Ezjim. I'm in Oregon but I imagine it works about the same I know Oregon DID say they were still going to give out medical cards even after the fed decision. So can you offer me any advice on how to go about getting it?

Breukelen advocaat
08-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Does anyone know if I can get a medical card for depression? I am already on 2 anti-depressants, but weed seems to help more than anything. I want to try to get a medical card but I don't know if they give them for that or how I go about getting it. Any ideas?

I'm no expert, but I've never heard of a doctor prescribing TWO antidepressants at the same time - as in taking Prozac AND Zoloft (among others). A doctor will usually switch medications or increase the dosage if one does not work - not give you both.

Are you sure that one of them isn't Xanax, or another benzodiazepine anti-anxiety? These can be used with anti-depressants. The benzodiazepines are habit-forming, though.

One thing you can do is exercise - it's known to help people improve both mentally and physically. As little as a brisk 1/2 hour walk can work wonders.

Feel better!

del...
08-04-2005, 05:22 AM
he's guessing...medical mj is still working in nevada too with nearly 100 more people getting their licenses since that recent supreme court case. the supreme court decision did nothing to change what was in place...it only acknowledged the feds still have the right to bust state licensed med users, same as always. even rhode island is advancing their recent vote to legalize med use.

these people might be able to help you too...
http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/

ontariogrower
08-04-2005, 05:56 AM
I'm no expert, but I've never heard of a doctor prescribing TWO antidepressants at the same time - as in taking Prozac AND Zoloft (among others). A doctor will usually switch medications or increase the dosage if one does not work - not give you both.

Are you sure that one of them isn't Xanax, or another benzodiazepine anti-anxiety? These can be used with anti-depressants. The benzodiazepines are habit-forming, though.

One thing you can do is exercise - it's known to help people improve both mentally and physically. As little as a brisk 1/2 hour walk can work wonders.

Feel better!

They do actually prescribe two anti-depressants at once sometimes. I know lots of people who are on two. Some people are on three. My mother takes prozac and wellbutrin and I take prozac and elavil at the same time. I live in Canada, so it's not some country that has stupid doctors either so yes doctors do prescribe 2 anti-depressants. It says not to mix anti-depressants with each other but doctors still do it. Benzo's are highly addictive. You can die from benzodiazepene withdrawal, and have seizures and other horrible problems. So do not get addicted to benzo's! I have a script for Valium (diazepam) and Dalmane (flurazepam) and i don't take them more than twice a month because i am so afraid of becoming dependant to them.

lilSmokie
08-04-2005, 03:34 PM
yes I take 2 anti-depressants. My problem is knowing how to go about getting a medical card. Since I stopped smoking I have been super depressed and it sucks, but I have to be clean to get a job. I don't want this to happen again so I want to get a card. Should I just ask my regular doctor if she'll give me one?

Hardbud
08-05-2005, 01:44 AM
yes I take 2 anti-depressants. My problem is knowing how to go about getting a medical card. Since I stopped smoking I have been super depressed and it sucks, but I have to be clean to get a job. I don't want this to happen again so I want to get a card. Should I just ask my regular doctor if she'll give me one?

Why would you want a card if you have to be clean for your job?

I think you should lay off the drugs. Clear your head.
:)

del...
08-09-2005, 03:10 AM
check that letfreedomgrow.com site. helping and answering med patients' questions is what they do! nevada does give prescriptions for depression and bi-polar and we've based most of our laws off of oregon's med use law so i'd imagine you'll be covered there. the hard part is finding that enlightened dr. who'll sign the forms which is why that site should be helpful...good luck

btw hardbud, those with a license to toke can legally do it and hold a job without fear of being fired for failing a drug test...that's why.

FunkyMonkey
08-30-2005, 06:56 PM
I cant answer your US question but I thought o add something I have just learned about our Canadian policy.
Our government is advising that sufferers of depression not be granted any exemptions due to their false belief that it will increase the depression.They do, however, support mj use to treat depression that is a secondary cause of another serious fatal illness.
(??) yup

lilSmokie
09-03-2005, 07:02 PM
I already got the job I was staying clean for...they don't do random tests. Now I just need to find a Doc that will sign the forms. If they won't give it to me for depression, I have a history (documented) of migraines, so I am sure I can get a card for that. I'll check out that web site. Thanks for the feedback.