PDA

View Full Version : will flouresant lights work for growing indoors

weedracer119
07-27-2005, 04:18 AM
i usually grow outdoors but feel like trying to grow indoors this year. so i would like to know if flouresant lights would work and how many.

Zandor
07-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Compact Fluorescent lights are great for starting cuttings or seeds. If used as a source of supplemental lighting, they are very effective for larger plants. Warm bulbs are (2700k) are best for general growth and flowering. Cool bulbs (6500k) are best for seedling, cloning and vegetative growth. They will work start to finish but the plant will be lanky with large node spacing.

HPS with Hortilux bulb is good for vegetation and flower. Not good for seedlings and clones to root.

jpm82
07-30-2005, 08:31 PM
I've been using a flourescent lighting system for years for small grows. For a small space and for the money I don't think you can beat it.

xNoa
08-06-2005, 03:45 PM
does anyone know a decnet UK site for florsecents (i take it they are alot cheaper then HPS right?) and what watt shall i get for 2-3 plants

weedracer119
08-08-2005, 05:45 AM
you can get flourecents at your local hardware store or any store that has lightbulbs really. maybe not every store but pretty much all of them have them.

yeskaa
08-08-2005, 05:51 AM
iv grow floro with nice small results but my wattage was as high as my current HPS so theres no question which situation is best

bongsmoker
08-22-2005, 06:57 PM
im growing under a sunlight floro bulb and my plants are getting tall and skinny

stupids
09-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Tonight I am tryin my 3 new 105 watt High Output Compact Fluorescent lights...6900 Lumens and 5000k each. I have also added a full specrum compact light, just to "cova my bases"

All together they ran me $175.

SeedKing72
09-10-2005, 10:54 PM
so you have what around 400 Watt (3 * 105 + compact light). Wouldnt it be better to spend the same for a 400 Watt HPS/MH (converter bulbs)? I am just asking, I dont know!

YELRAM
09-11-2005, 02:09 PM
k so if any one could help me out on this that would be great, perferably Zandor. k so i wanna buy a light and what everyone is sayen is confusing me, so what does the light need like what should i look for in a light. like how many lummas, what does compact mean lol, the watts, if its should be flourescent, where could i get em? like do they sell any good ones at home depot or canadien tire, ext. like some people are sayin to go to yer local hard ware store which is great but i need to know what 2 look 4. if any one could help me out THAT WOULD BE AWSOME!! lol

HARDDON
09-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Tonight I am tryin my 3 new 105 watt High Output Compact Fluorescent lights...6900 Lumens and 5000k each. I have also added a full specrum compact light, just to "cova my bases"

All together they ran me $175.

You should have stepped up and gotten the 5500K or 6400K.

The sun is 5800K.......you're still a little shy of the mark, but they will work, so next time go 6400K.

YELRAM
09-12-2005, 07:11 PM
can anyone help me out please????

peace~

moeburn
09-12-2005, 11:30 PM
can anyone help me out please????

peace~
I've heard you'll need about 20,000 lumens total in your growroom. This can be done with one HPS bulb, or many CFL bulbs.

A CFL bulb (Compact fluorescent light) is about the same size as a regular lightbulb, but is a twisted up tube instead of just a round bulb.
When buying CFL bulbs, be careful, always try to look for lumens, since they show "real wattage" and "incandescent equivalent wattage", which can be confusing.

Home Depot has a pack of 4 bright bulbs for $12 canadian, i'm sure Canadian Tire does too but i didnt look.

Here's a link with all the stuff about CFL, most importantly a picture of what the bulbs look like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

YELRAM
09-13-2005, 08:07 PM
k thanks moeburn. its nice when someone answers yer questions when you need help.

peace~

Zandor
09-14-2005, 04:10 PM
k so if any one could help me out on this that would be great, perferably Zandor. k so i wanna buy a light and what everyone is sayen is confusing me, so what does the light need like what should i look for in a light. like how many lummas, what does compact mean lol, the watts, if its should be flourescent, where could i get em? like do they sell any good ones at home depot or canadien tire, ext. like some people are sayin to go to yer local hard ware store which is great but i need to know what 2 look 4. if any one could help me out THAT WOULD BE AWSOME!! lol
You had your answer in my first post.

You are looking for CFL that has a rating of 2700k for flowering and general growth. 6500k is for seedlings, clones and vegetation growth. I'm sorry you got confused just ask the sales person for CFL to match that rating. It will also be labeled on the box or packaging just take some time and read. The most important thing is if it does not have those ratings don't buy it.

You can get them online at eBay or http://www.discount-hydro.com/GardenLightFluor.asp

Doobie Joint
10-20-2005, 06:45 AM
Zandor's right Compressed Fluorescents are great for Cloning and Veg. You'll know they are compressed if they screw into a normal socket. I would team 6500K's up with a Hps 250 or 400 for a full life cycle instead of using a 2700K. That ways you're guaranteed to have a full spectrum.